Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default BMI milestone - Anyone else?

According to my BMI, at 230 lbs I will no longer be "Severely Obese" but just "Obese". I know it sounds strange (my friends look at me like I'm ******ed) but I'm so excited about it!!!!

My current BMI is 35.3, at 230 it will be 35.

Anyone else here going from one "stage" to another? Or even just feeling AWESOME about your progress?
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations! It's so motivating to hit milestones. Honestly, I haven't paid any attention to BMI, but after reading your post I went to the NIH website and used their calculator. Don't know how accurate this is, but looks like I started at 42 and am now down to 34.5. At some point I did transition from extremely obese to obese. The next transition is to overweight and that won't happen for me until I am in the lower 170s, which won't be for a while. Right now I'm focusing on getting to onederland, but maybe "overweight" will be a good goal to set for some point in the future.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #3  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb That is Just One Other Indicator That I Use

I found some links to calculate my BMI about a month ago and I am so glad that I did. I think this is probably the most important indicator we can use to determine what is a "healthy" weight we need to be reaching for. Until that discovery, I just saw them as numbers on the scale and hopefully going down.

Now, I see my weight lose as moving through different stages or transitions of "un-Health" towards "Health". I am still considered Severely Obese and I won't be "just" Obese until I lose another 25 lbs BUT I WAS "Morbidly Obese" and I felt so good when I had done the calculations and I had "crossed" into the next level.

In fact, it gave me an added incentive as I am viewing what I eat, how active I am, and where I am at on my time line towards moving towards that goal. I am hoping that I will make "just" Obese by mid-January. I know that I will be really really happy when I can go into the "Overweight" category!

That may sound really "silly" but considering that I have been OBESE (and in different levels of that) for TWENTY-THREE YEARS----being OVERWEIGHT will be a BIG DEAL FOR ME!!This time in a positive way. It means I am significantly reducing my chances of major health issues, which all of my nuclear family members have!

In fact, after I discovered that link, I immediately made a separate chart (I am getting really good at charting everything related to my weight lose journey) and I NOW put my weekly weigh ins in different colors: OBESE is in RED, OVERWEIGHT will be in BLUE and HEALTHY weight numbers will be in GREEN. I am going for the BLUE. I keep that in my mind as a marker of why I am ultimately doing this: to be a HEALTHY (GREEN)WEIGHT!!

Congrats! I completely know where you are coming from!

Last edited by pamatga; 11-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

I know that at 185 I will only be considered "overweight" and not "obese" - that's one milestone I can't wait for!
LondonJulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

Uhh tomorrow I have my weigh in day after two weeks (ok, I had two horrible off days) but anyways I hope it shows a loss of at least 500 grams (like half a pds) cause that will make me be in the healthy range!!
Itīs really important for me, it will be a huge acomplishment, I hope to have good news tomorrow!!
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

I'm also happy I came across the BMI charts It really does put your weight loss into perspective.

Just two more pounds to go and I'll just be obese Can't wait!

My husband told me that his mother said I am a "very beautiful" woman, and it's a shame I let myself get to where I am. It was so nice to hear her say that about me, but in a way it hurts too. I didn't purposely say "I want to be fat"... I have been this size almost all of my life due to the abuse I had to put up with as a child. And it just turned into a lifestyle for me.

Now that I'm finally at a stage in my life where I'm content (other than the few bouts of depression), It's easier to work towards my goal.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

You are so close
I've been watching too, but have another 22 pounds before I'm just obese

Last edited by missy3gal; 11-17-2007 at 02:31 PM.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I was so pleased when I went from obese to overweight that my husband threatened to get me a T-shirt that said "I'm Just Fat".

I'm not a huge fan of the BMI but I'll take any encouragment I can get.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #9  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Thumbs up way to go

Congratulations, Tamaralynn! That's totally a huge thing, I agree. And by the way, I like your new avatar picture. You definitely can see your weight loss in it, plus you look hot

BTW pamatga, what link did you use for your BMI? The ones I have found don't distinguish between levels of obesity. That would be handy to know!
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #10  
I'm a Loser ;)

Lol thanks! My friends and I were doing a Rocky Horror Picture Show thing last weekend (they were showing it at the community centre by my area, it was nuts!!!). I'm wearing pants on the bottom so I didn't feel so silly (whereas my friends went all out - maybe next year for me!).

My husband looked at me and demanded he had to take a pic for some before/after shots.

I do have some professional photos somewhere from the week before we got married (engagement pics)...

I'll have hubby take some more decent photos of me tonight and I'll post some b/a pics on my blog.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #11  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Yes I confess that I watch my BMI and use it to motivate myself to the next mile stone. My next mile stone is to have a BMI under 30 but a bit more hard work till I reach that as it is another 24lbs to lose. But my next mile stone for me is onederland
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

How wonderful!

One of my favorite moments was hitting a "normal" BMI.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #13  
I'm a Loser ;)

Thank you and Congrats!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Same here, one of my very first blog posts was about how I had to go down through the levels. I already escaped from MORBID obesity and now I am trying to get out of SEVERE obesity and into just "Obesity". Getting out of morbidly obese meant SO MUCH to me.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #15  
I'm a Loser ;)

Posted progress pics on my blog

I'll post a pic for every 20 lbs I lose.