General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Collection Agency calls

All of a sudden I've been getting calls from some collection agency for someone I haven't spoken with nor seen in over 10 years. I don't acknowledge that I ever knew her, I just say that nobody by that name is at this number. I asked that they look at her file and see if my number is listed to verify that they didn't misdial. It's there.

Denise, my ex friend, must have listed me as a reference. However, how long ago and for whom?

This could be one of those agencies that likes to buy up old or dead collections and try and squeeze money out of people even though it is past the statute of limitations.

I'm hesitant to let them know that I knew her at one time. Should I keep quiet about that?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

1. Check your credit report to make sure nothing bad is going on.

2. If it isn't on your credit report, the next time they call say "The person you are asking about does not and has not ever lived at this address and phone number. Please do not call this number attempting to reach her again".
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

I did both those things.

Nothing on the CR.

I did ask them to not call the first time. I got more insistant the second. Both times they have promised that I won't receive another call.

Hmmm.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

Have you tried putting your number on the Do Not Call list? it's at www.DoNotcall.gov I think. If that doesn't work ask them to put you on their Do not call list.
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

I'm on the list. These are not random calls to solicit something. They actually have my number in a file as a contact number for her. However, they do not have my name with it so it makes me think that she just listed it as an alternate number and didn't list my name. I would think that they would call me by name if she'd listed me and not my number.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I had a very similar situation. An old college roommate had used my name and phone number as a credit reference to buy a ton of furniture. I hadn't seen or heard from her in years.

I told the collection agent exactly that. They were very polite, took down what I told them, and I never heard from then again. Frankly I don't think they believe you when you claim you've never heard of the person and that's why the calls keep coming. You haven't done anything wrong so I'd just be upfront if they call again and don't worry about it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Good luck. My dad keeps getting collection calls for my daughter's ex. He's told them over and over the guy doesn't, and has never, lived there and to stop calling. Just keep a whistle handy and deafen the next one that doesn't take a hint.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 AM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MARE ~ you are misunderstanding why they are calling you; they know who you are. They want you to tell them how they can reach her. They will call anyone that is remotely related to or friends with that person. They should be called 'The Harrassment Agency!'

This is a tactic they use to harrass family and friends of the debtor, hoping that they will 1) either help them find them; or 2) contact that person to get them to deal with the agency so that they will leave you alone. And they do this becuz it works!

Although I like HEAVEN'S idea about the whistle; that may not work in reality. You might try telling them the simple truth: that you haven't heard from that person in over ten years and have no idea where they are, so they are wasting both their time and yours.

If they call again after that, just ask them to 'Hold one moment, please' and walk away from the phone until they hang up. That will usually put an end to it ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-17-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Well my dad's done the hold thing and told them he doesn't have any idea how to contact his EX son-in-law, but they still call. They got caller ID and just don't pick up when these people call now...but they still call.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Collections agents have to do something on an account every so many days to show the client (to whom the bill is owed) that they are earning the percentage they charge to service the collection. So they call you and log it as an attempt to contact the person.

Kill 'em with kindness. Explain how long it's been since you've seen the person, that it took you a while to figure out who the person is, that you never gave her permission to use your number for any communication and that, in light of the harrassing phone calls you have been receiving from their business, you would be very grateful if they let you know how to reach her when they do find her. If they are unable to do this (and they are), ask to have your number removed from the account.
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

mare, I had a collection agency start calling my home for my XH that I rightfully divorced over 12 yrs. ago. They kept acting like they just knew that I knew where to find him. They wouldn't let up, so finally I told them that my family members saw his name in the obituaries. They never called back.

I still get collection calls for DH's XW. I give them her home number and work number so they'll leave me alone. (I'm spiteful that way)
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I get calls for my ex wife ~ "Is Brenda there?" ..."No she left may I take a message?"..."When do expect her back?"...."I'm not sure...she left 18 freakin years ago!"

I get calls for some of my distant family members ~"Do you know where we can reach them?"...."NO! Why are you calling and asking me?"...."Well, they gave your number as a reference"...."Well then, next freakin' time call me BEFORE you loan them the money!"

And I just love the "Is Angie available?"..."Available for WHAT?"..."This is just a courtesy call"...."About WHAT?"...."We just want to know if she wants to blankity blank?"...."Ah...NO she doesn't!"...."May we speak to her sir?"...."NO freakin' way"

or the "Someone from your family signed up for blankity blank and we are glad to tell you that you WON!!!....blankity blank"....you don't even want to know how I handle these calls...

let's just say this is how my kids learned to cuss!...at such an early age...
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote