General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default The Anti-Jerk List

We've gotten to 7 pages (and counting!) talking about the people that irritate us. Given that this is Thanksgiving month, and all, what about the "anti-jerks" - the people who go out of their way to make your life better? Post about your anti-jerks here. I'll start.

1. The woman at the checkout line at Michaels who, after looking at my cart of Christmas craft supplies and wrapping equipment, said "You're better than Martha Stewart!". I have been riding high on that comment since the weekend.

2. The boy scouts who, after seeing my mom and dad on the side of the road when they were in a motorcycle accident, loaded my mom into the back of their boyscout van, applied first aid from their handy-dandy first aid kit, and drove her to the hospital. They were in a semi-rural area, and she would have waited a LONG time for an ambulance (she was non-critical, but hurting).

3. Every single person who has ever gotten out of their car to help someone push their car through an intersection/out of a parking space/over to the side of the road when the car stopped working or wouldn't start. They are the antidote to the people who honk at your stalled car, as if you're sitting in the middle of the lane for fun.

4. The person who paid my bridge toll going through the Bay bridge a few months back. It not only made me happy, it inspired me to do it too, which made me even happier.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #2  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Yay Amanda, great idea!

1. The person in front of you in the checkout line who places the divider in back of their stuff, so you can load your stuff onto the belt without a problem. Especially if you don't have a basket and your arms are loaded.

2. The ushers at church who actually make sure people are seated comfortably and who direct the parents with screaming babies to the crying room in back.

3. The unending support and cheering section of wonderful men and women here at 3FC.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Excellent idea!

I'd like to nominate my brother. As most of you know, my mom passed away in May. My brother is executor of her estate. He has done an awsome job of keeping track of every little detail and making sure her wishes were carried out. He even went so far as to take the investments and cash them in before the stocks started plummeting and set up a trust account for us. He called today and is quite sad because of all this, but has done an excellent job of protecting everything while probate is getting ready to close. Thank you, Brother.

Did you know you can get extra 40% coupons if you subscribe to michaels.com?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

1. Every driver who has been extra careful and courteous, backing up from their driveway to let me go on through with my bike.

2. Polite people, in general - those who say please, thank you, and excuse me in a genuinely pleasant tone always make me smile.

3. Pleasant people who bother to actually smile.

4. My neighbor who constantly tells me how gorgeous I am and that I look like a model.

5. My very awesome boss who gave me an excellent recommendation for the new job I applied for (right now, I work temp for the city, but I'm trying to get a permanent position that also has a great salary). He is also very friendly and never breathes down my neck - as long as I get my job done, he pretty much leaves me alone. He's great.

6. One of the delivery guys at GatorFood (multi-restaurant ordering service) always brings me free food. I like him.

7. Every wonderful, supportive person on this forum.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 11-15-2007 at 02:31 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

1. Thanks to our customers who pay their bills on time. You don't know how much easier it makes my job!

2. Thanks to my DD's band teacher who wrote her a GLOWING letter of recommendation for college.

3. Thanks to the Dean of Admissions who hand wrote a personal message on the bottom of her letter of acceptance.

4. Thanks to my daughter who named me as her hero!

5. Thanks to the patio furniture salesman who jumped over hurdles to make sure I could get my new set before Thanksgiving when I'm expecting 25 for dinner.

I know there is more, but my mind is not on task right now. I'll add more if I can remember the one the other day that made me say "that was so nice!"
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Great idea.
I would like to list my mother. I am having 9 people over to my house for thanksgiving. She is the only one who gave cash to assist with all the groceries. Everyone else just offered to bring a dish. She gave $100 towards the grocery bill...knowing the hostess always has the highest grocery bill. Thanks mom.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Thanks to my parents for randomly sending me small cash gifts for no reason other than to make sure I do something fun over the weekend. I'm thankful to have such wonderful parents, even IF they don't approve of my relationship with another woman... they are still supportive of every other aspect of my life.

Thanks to my girlfriend for being supportive of... everything, including my weight loss journey which she was originally very indifferent towards.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

The top nominees here are:

1. Hubby's boss, an engineer. He goes out of his way for us. Offered us a personal loan before he could get the company president to finally make room in the budget to hire hubby on full-time with a nice raise. He's also come out to the house to check a water leak when the home warranty plumber couldn't figure it out. His boss figured it out.

2. My brother. He's helped us out of jams in the past. In fact, he's helped nearly everyone in our family at one point or another. He helps others as well. And he saved a kid's life one time by crawling through raging water that the boy got sucked through from a side tunnel, while everyone else stood around waiting on the cops.

3. My neighbor. I've become pretty handy around the house, since we bought a house that needed some remodeling and hubby's hours keep him away all the time. But trying to put up a fence while watching my son was difficult. Not to mention, I just didn't have the upper body strength to break through the rocky ground with that post hole digger. My neighbor came over and spent several hours helping me build the fence. He's helped me with a few other tasks and has loaned me a lot of tools to save us buying them.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My boyfriend. I had an itchy scratchy throat yesterday and left for work too late to stop and pick up lozenges. He made a special trip all the way out to my office at lunch to personally deliver Wild Cherry Halls and chewable Vitamin C.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

DH - who is so supportive in everything I do.

My friends - who still support me and love me, even when I am too busy to spend quality time with them.

My DIL - who doesn't baby our DS and holds him accountable when he gets selfish.

My boss - who is the most supportive and understanding person. He notices and values all the little things I do.

Everyone that parks in the proper parking space and leaves the handicapped spaces for those that need it.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

People who, when in line at the grocery store with a full cart, let the person with a single pack of gum go ahead of them.

People who hold doors for you when you're on crutches or have arms full of bags/stuff/children.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #12  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

People who haven't forgotten courtesey for elders or those who are infirmed in some way.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:34 PM   #13  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

The residents of Pensacola who pull over to the side of the road everytime a funeral procession passes in the opposite direction. (This might be done all over the south, but I first witnessed it when I moved here.) That's mighty respectful, ya'll.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

People who let you over in major traffic if you're stuck behind an obstacle of some kind (ie, a car stalls in your lane and you can't move around it because the cars are flying past on either side).

The girl in the gym locker room who told me that I looked really good every time she saw me.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

The people who let you into their lane (they are merging from a place like a gas station) when the traffic is long.

people who hold the door open for others, even if you don't have something in your hands (manners are always appreciated)

people who actually remember to say thank you when you do something nice, like hold a door open

mandallin took my other idea- people who let someone with one or 2 items in a store go ahead of them.

people who spend free time working with any volunteer organization weather its homeless, habitat for humanity, adoption agencies etc.

and of corse all the wonderful supportive people here.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote