Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/214/165

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm a weekend binger!!!

Hi! I've been on the Pure Weight Loss program since August and I'm down only 22 pounds. The reason? I think I have a free pass on the weekend! We are on the go throughout the weekend and therefore, we end up eating out (at which time, I "treat" myself for all of my hard work through the week).

Any suggestions on how to get over that mental hurdle to make this a "lifestyle change"? Also, I'm getting so bored with the food. I want french fries and bread! Any advice would be appreciated.

I have two little girls and a wonderful, supportive husband and I don't want
to leave them early in this life!

By the way, new to this website -- it's awesome!!!

Last edited by lbandkids; 11-14-2007 at 06:48 PM.
lbandkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

lbandkids, 22 pounds is pretty good! Especially if you've not always been on plan. Weekends are hard. You have to stop giving yourself the free pass, since the calories count no matter what day it is. It is a how bad do you want it kind of a thing. It does get easier and easier, as you get used to not eating badly, which sorry, but french fries and tons of bread are not good for you. Is food that is going to kill you exciting? I went and read about all the dangers of obesity and that made it easier for me to say no.

You know that it is bad for you, so stop thinking of it as a reward. You KNOW what french fries taste like. You can have them again someday. It is not like you are giving them up for life, but in reality there probably won't be a lot of room for them later. You will love being thinner. It is wonderful. So many benefits! So many ways your life improves (or that your life has gone down hill and you've just been in denial about it). Little things like being able to cross your legs differently, big things like sleeping so much better because I don't snore anymore. I didn't realize how tired I was from that.

Anyway, take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. You aren't happy with your "reward system" so do something that is going to make yourself feel happy and successful. Don't let it overwhelm you.

I still say 22 pounds is great progress in a short time... 77000 calories if you lost it all in fat. If you burned 150 calories per mile (which the tread mill at the gym says that I'm burning way less than that) it would be 550 miles of walking to burn that off... That is really a big deal. For lots of us our bodies
freak out and slow down because the shock of losing it all is so much...

Anyway, keep trying to improve and join in on one of the challenges to be POP, sometimes that helps me have the extra push to not stray. I just want to say that I did it.

If you are going to be on the go... plan ahead and bring something so you can deal better with the day. Don't end up in a restaurant starving, as that is almost guaranteed recipe to falling off the plan. You have to build into your days and weekends too safe guards so you are eating regularly to keep your metabolism up. I think most of my weekend indulgences are from letting myself go too long without food and then making bad choices. So if that is part of the problem, pack some carrot or celery sticks with you... spread your food out.. and then when you end up in a restaurant, you will do better.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I had a MAJOR problem with weekends too. They would kill all my progress during the week. What could have been a 3 pound week will end up being a one pound week, just cause i would spend half of the next week losing what i put on during the weekend. UGH!
As far as wanting bread and all that, have you evaluated whether or not this is a plan you can be on for life? Remember it is a lifestyle, not a diet. So can you do it for a lifetime? I have tried SO many different things and they all worked...the problem was i couldnt keep them up. My sister does atkins and can live on it...i would die a slow death on atkins. I have to do calorie counting...so that nothing is ever a never, if that makes sense. Since i started doing calorie counting weekends are better. If we need to grab something quick...we can stop at subway. It keeps me on plan and i still get my "fast food fix". Its all about what works for YOU.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

Default 22 pounds is great!

When I feel like rewarding myself I just remember that I got fat by indulging myself. In my head I have already rewarded myself into the "women's" department.
Plus, 22 pounds in 15 weeks is very good. Every person who has it in their head that we can lose 2-3 pounds in a week is setting themselves up for disaster, period. Research has shown that 1# per week is a maintainable weight lose. If you lose faster it will be harder for your body to stay at that level.
That said, weekends are tough. I have gotten so I only allow myself to eat out once a week and I try to go some where I can pre-plan my meal and eat all my other food through out the day.
Don't go with the family to places that have your most vulnerable choices (for me table bread, I love warm bread with olive oil! So, no Italian) Carry snacks in your purse. Start to look for places you can go in a hurry and still choose well. I go to Baja Fresh and get veggie fajitas w/o tortillas or chips or stop at Trader Joe's.
Teach your kids to eat fruit and veggies for snacks. Help them not go through what we are living. If I had made better choices years ago I would not be here.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/120/110

Height: 5'2"

I am STILL a weekend binger...last week I ate perfectly, even on Friday and Saturday! Then Sunday came, my inlaws always make a big Sunday meal...and I had planned ahead for it but when I got there...well you know how it goes. I thought 'hey I've been good ALL week, I deserve this" but Monday comes along and I feel absolutely terrible!! I hate doing it but I just haven't had any luck stopping. I need to be held accountable and I don't know how to do that. I don't go to a center to get weighed-in anmore because I live about 45 minutes away. I'd LOVE to stop binging on the weekends...it's a terrible way to diet but I'm kind of glad it's not just me. Any suggestions to stay motivated and accountable?
Beacon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #6  
Ally on LAWL

S/C/G: 203.6/171.4/133.6

Height: 5'2

I get weighed in on fridays so I allow myself an indulgence friday for either lunch or dinner. I let myself eat something that I would not eat during the rest of the week for that one meal, but I do not let myself get out of control. As soon as that meal is over, i am right back on my plan. Maybe that will work for you, maybe it wont-but it's an idea. It gives you something to look forward to. Maybe you can have that piece of bread or a small fry for that one indulgence.
You need to self talk. talk yourself out of the weekend binging. Walk away from the food. When you are about to grab something take a second, think about if you really really want it or if you will be upset with your choice later. Maybe it is something you want but maybe you will put it down and feel empowered and once you feel empowered once, it gets a lot easier. Make yourself stay perfectly on plan for 7 whole days and go to weigh in...I am sure the amount you loose will be reason enough to continue to stay OP on the weekends.
You can have fries and bread, every once in a great while and if you count it. Or, cut up some potatoes and use a little olive oil and see if you can create your own OP french fries, they wont be as good but you also wont feel as bad after! Just remind yourself that no one is making you do LAWL, you chose to do it, and you have the choice of what you put in your mouth!
YOU CAN DO THIS and everyone is here to help.
I am a very big lurker, I have only posted once or twice in the past year but for some reason your post reminded me so much of myself that I had to answer. I've come such a long way with my binging and I know you can too.
Agibely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:59 AM   #7  
Purple with Lites

Height: 5'5"

Each of us is so different, and I really appreciate that. What works for me? My one and only weekly WI day is on Sunday morning...first thing. I remind myself that my body is a well-oiled machine trying to conserve for famine, it's the best in the world at adding my cheats onto my hips..thighs..and even if I try to rationalize that I have been good so I can have just this one, I think "what if I didn't; how badly do I want this [small bag of fries - or whatever I am craving]?" I will be disappointed in myself as well as feel physically bad if I indulge. My body knows and will process the food. I stop and think, why do I want food now? Am I thirsty, hungry or feeling [bored, stressed...]. For me if I have a 16 ounce glass of water that will often help me stave off hunger. When craving sweets I use SF gum and candies (limited to plan guidelines) or peanut butter with apples, SF jello and the like. I go with condiments first because I don't usually use them in a day, so they're like a freebie. Most restaurants have a tasty chicken caesar salad...there is one near my house and I crave that salad...and often now when I opt for something a little less on plan my body 'protests' because it's not used to that 'junk' anymore. Today my car wanted to go to Taco Bell and get a Taco Salad. I didn't let it! I consider that a victory...and I revel in my strength. And yes, sometimes, darn it, I just want something! I find ways to incorporate what I am really in need of -- is it salt? 3 c. of popcorn is a starch on my plan. Creamy chocolate? I can have 4 kisses for a starch. Cake? ... Mind you, I don't do this very often...because most of these recipes have the "enjoy in moderation..." disclaimer! There is a recipe for most anything I crave in the recipe threads: cakes, cookies, sloppy joes, meatloaf. I have had POP weeks with very little losses and (slight) cheat weeks with decent losses.

I hear you on the bordom with the menu thing, I have been there. There is hope! I cook on Sundays and make plenty of on plan foods I enjoy. This week it was the No Cream Creamy Broccoli Soup. Everyone in the house is eyeing it, the dogs too! Had two cups of that for dinner, very filling and satisfying (and I am sure I feel better than I would have if I went to Taco Bell). Last week it was Lynn's Pumpkin Pudding [thanks Lynn]. I have really enjoyed changing up my menus with recipes from this forum. This takes a lot of work, no one will deny that. It's a mental shift and a lot of cooking and planning menus as well.

You can do this!
AvidKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #8  

Barbara,

Thanks so much for the advice and "kick in the butt" I need! I know that I need to plan better which, i think, is key! Congrats on your success! That's got to be a great feeling.
I think I get stuck in a rut thinking it's taking forever and is it worth it? But finding this forum and getting to hear from people like you is definitely going to be incentive to keep going!
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #9  

Gettin healthy,
You know what? I haven't determined if this is something I can do for a lifetime, if it can be a lifestyle change. I'm hoping that the more I go with it, the easier it will be. I was raised on potatoes, bread etc. and that's probably my biggest challenge (well, that and what to make for my family for dinner). I could not do Atkins either, I tried. Maybe as the pounds come off, I'll feel/look better and that will be incentive. You know, 22 pounds only dropped me down one clothing size. I was a little disappointed in that, but I'll take it as it's better than nothing.

So you're counting calories on LAWL? I didn't know they had a calorie counting program.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #10  

Ally, thanks for the feedback. You're right -- I don't think I have followed the plan totally since week 1 (sadly). I am going to push myself to follow it for a week and see what the scales say. It probably will be an eye opener. It's going to take some planning, but with all of the great recipes I just printed off of this website, it might be easier than I thought!
Avid, thanks for the info and suggestions -- much appreciated!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #11  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

lbandkids:

It does get easier and easier. There are recipes at the top of this forum that will help you with variety.

My suggestion is to ALWAYS keep something with you on plan that you can have. Generally when you are thinking of the foods you can't have its because you are either hungry or just plain wanting something. Eat something you CAN have and that will help. Hot, Fresh Lemon Water helps with cravings/hungar too. If you run out of food exchanges for the day and still need something, eat some green veggie preferrably raw. This won't be that big of an impact to your plan.

You can do it. You are worth it and the results will make it get easier and easier also.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #12  
Plan #3-no lites

S/C/G: 198/179/150

Thanks for starting this thread! It was really what I needed to hear. I have the same problems. Weekends are awful...I can do really well Mon-Fri but Sat & Sun just mess up everything. I know it's because my schedule is just so different. I don't work on the weekends so I tend to sleep later a little later, but as soon as I wake up I'm running. Saturday it's usually something with the kids and then Sunday we are getting ready to go to church. I know that it's just kicking my butt to get out of bed but since it's my only days I feel like I owe to myself. Like you said it is a lifestyle change!
KSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 134/120/110

Height: 5'2"

Me too! Weekends are so hard for me because my boyfriend and I have a long distance relationship and that's the only time I get to se him so we order out a lot and I feel like it's ok to eat like him for some reason! I've been doing a little bit better as I've been becoming more motivated to lose weight (and fit back into my pants haha!) Does anyone want to start a 'Weekend Accountability' group type thing? Maybe if we email once a day or when we feel like eating or I don't know what but if I know that someone is really counting on me to stay on plan then it'll motivate me not to binge on the weekends.
Beacon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #14  
Plan #3-no lites

S/C/G: 198/179/150

I wish I could do the weekend accountability but I usually don't even have time to get on the computer.
KSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

lbandkids, It took me at least 25 pounds to drop the first size, but then the next 15 pounds I dropped 3 more sizes. So you might see the next pounds make a bigger difference. The pounds from here on in are going to be fat and not water.

Planning is good. Bring snacks for your whole family. Make it about improving the nutrition for everyone. You can have a wide variety of food on LAWL. Branch out. I find that ground lean turkey is my friend.. I can make all sorts of things with it, just like I used to use hamburger. My family has gotten used to turkey tacos and we've had turkey meat loaf, turkey spaghetti, turkey chilli. I made spaghetti with spaghetti squash(which counts as a vegetable) and ground turkey, and it was fantastic. They say you lose better if you mix it up a bit too, so try different things that are on plan.
I found some low sodium stewed tomatoes and low sodium broth that I use a lot of. Soups made with low sodium broth you can cook in no time, they are filling and nice in the winter months and totally on plan. Plus I can have 1/3 cup of pasta in a soup and feel satisfied with it, as opposed to seeing that measly amount on a plate and having my mind go, that's it?????
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote