Old 11-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254

Height: 5'3"

Default Good News

Is it really? I had some blood tests done and had my doctor's appointment yesterday to go over the results. The good news is that I gathered up the courage to go (I've become fearful of doctor appointments because it seems like my health just keeps getting worse). The bad news is that my blood tests revealed that my cholestoral, blood sugar, and liver tests are worse but still at the "borderline" levels. Particularly with blood sugar, I am dangerously borderline to becoming diabetic.

Good news is that I have received feedback about my health. So my head says, "you can do this, lose the weight. Exercise, change the types of food you intake, and it will come off". But the other side of me that has continually failed and has low confidence in being able to do it says "see, you still can't do it". The good news is that this information must push me to radically change my habits. I'm starting with breakfast. I'm not going to pick anything up on my way to work. I'm going to fix up a bowl of cereal and drink it in the car on my commute.

One big downer at the doctor's office was standing on the scale. My scale at home says I'm 240.8 today. At the doctor's office last night their scale said I'm 248. 248!!!! That's an 8 pound difference. So which scale is right? gasp!
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Congratulations on getting yourself to the doctor. It is so easy not to go when you know that they're going to spend the whole time talking about your weight; I swear if I went to the doctor with an arrow in my head they'd blame it on being overweight.

I had some scary numbers myself when I started this and it is amazing how fast they will start to come down as the weight comes off. Keep working at it and it will make a huge difference. Keeping off meds is a huge incentive.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Juliana,
I really think you have the power to change those boderline #'s. In May of 2006 my blood pressure was 170/90 , when I lost 50 lbs, it was 116/70. I really think that if you start now you can change some of those #'s for the better. I know you can do it, because you are worth it!!
Now on the scale #'s. I have read other people posting similiar complaints, I would stick to your own scale when posting #'s and accept it. Unless you want to go out and buy a new scale to see if you notice a difference?
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

julzchiki, you have just discovered one of the hard truths about this health thing--namely it takes more weight loss and exercise than you might have thought to make a difference.

FWIW, I had fasting blood sugar at 109 in 2006. After losing weight AND exercising 5-6 times a week for a year, my blood sugar is now 87. So, it can be done, and YOU CAN DO IT. Just keep going! You are young and strong!

As for the scale--well, just go by yours for now. That's the one you use all the time. The dr's. scale is once a year...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well, I'm so happy to hear that you took the plunge and went to the doctor. That is SO important. Thee most important thing in fact.

As far as your blood tests, well at least they're still borderline. AND at least they are things that you DO have in your control. You CAN change this around. You DON'T have to remain at an unhealthy state not another minute longer. You have the power to change this. RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

I was a "failure", for lack of a better term, for close to 20 years, 20 years. Until one day I had enough. So the PAST DOES NOT MATTER. It's totally and completely irrevelevant. Deal with NOW. NOW is when you can change this. Make the vow, make the commitment to better your life. You CAN do this. Get into it. Become passionate about it. Make it your mission. Take charge of your health - of your LIFE. NOW. You won't regret it, not for a single solitary second.

As far as the 2 scales go, I find it's best to weigh on the same scale at the same time of day, that would be yours. It will show a trend, either up or down or the same. Whether it's 100% accurate is another matter. If you want to know just how accurate yours is, just stick a 5 lb bag of sugar or flour on there or some weights if you have them.

Good luck to you. Remember you CAN do this. Without a doubt. Losing weight IS doable - and you too CAN do it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-15-2007 at 10:00 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #6  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

I would keep using your scale. Because that is what you have been using.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I love that you're being positive about it and considering it good news, because it IS good news. It's good news that you can hear these numbers and know that it IS in your control to change them. Like Robin said, the past doesn't matter. You can change things starting today, which you already know! I wish I'd had a bunch of tests done when I weighed 275 just to see what the difference would be now (I'm sure I was on my way to becoming a diabetic, since my mom is and I was far heavier than she ever was). I do now that I've had blood pressure that tended to be a bit high in the past, and the last time I went to the doctor they said it was low and even said it was "the blood pressure of an athlete." So that's a big change!

I agree with the others that you should just stick to your scale. I put a weight on mine to check the accuracy (of course, when you get to higher weights than the dumbbell, the accuracy could still be skewed - for example, a 3-pound weight is 3 pounds on my scale but a 10-pound weight is 10.4, so I imagine my whole body shows up as a somewhat inaccurate figure), but what matters really is the pattern of weight loss. Don't let a different scale bother you.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Now you know, and now you can turn things around. You'll be amazed what losing 10% of your body weight can do for those numbers, and you're already part way toward losing that first 10%.

I'm with everyone else--weigh on your own scale. Don't even think about what the doctor's scale said. You do not have to weigh at the doctor's office. I never did, and I still never do.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #9  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm so very glad that you went to the doctor, as it's very important to keep a watchful eye on the inner-workings of your body.
Just wait until you've lost more...your results will have improved, I'm willing to bet on it!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

I would just look at the test results as a starting place. Something to measure your progress against. Take some measurements, too. I've hidden my starting measurements away and will look at them again after losing 25 pounds.

This weight loss thing starts with your own head. Get a positive mantra. Just keep telling yourself you DESERVE to be healthy and that YOU CAN DO IT. Negative thoughts are defeating . . . don't let them get a hold of you!!!
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

juizchicki, my DH was diagnosed as diabetic a couple of years ago. He's on oral medication, no insulin so far, knock on wood. Here's the good news, since I changed MY way of eating and cooking, his blood sugar levels have been great! He doesn't really follow my plan to the letter, but I cook and shop for everyone, so he is benefiting too. Even though he didn't have much weight to lose, he is back to the weight he was when I met him in college. So you definitely CAN impact your borderline levels by making some changes, and they don't have to be drastic - it's not all or none here! My suggestions: buy only lean meats, cook lots of vegetables, try not to eat a lot of starches, stay away from white rice, potatoes, refined grains, and sugars, go with lowfat dairy, limit your fruit, no fruit juice. And eat something every couple of hours to keep your blood sugar levels steady. Even if you are not counting points or calories, just those changes will make a big diff! I wish you luck!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8

Scales, don't forget, in the dr.'s office, you are fully clothed and you may have eaten breakfast, etc. That can make a difference.

My blood pressure was borderline, but has improved with changes to the point where the dr.'s happy about it. Cholesterol is still borderline, but went down overall by 7 points & bad cholesterol went down 9 points. Keep working on it and don't forget exercise (apologies in advance if that's already in the routine, didn't see any mention of it in the post & I'm fairly new here) that is very important to lowering those numbers too.

Can you meet with a nutritionist? My uncle is diabetic and he met with one & followed the guidelines strictly. He exercises too and he's actually improved to the point where he doesn't need medication.

Last edited by nylisa; 11-15-2007 at 02:39 PM.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Juliana, I am in a similiar situation as you...when you have failed at this so many times before it is very hard to have confidence in yourself. I am struggling everyday with the negative thought patterns where I tell myself there is no use trying, I will just gain it back again. But I recognize now that those are just trained thoughts I started telling myself so many years ago, and I challenge them now. There is a difference in my mental processes this time, I am not so easy to give up now because I want this for reasons well beyond looks.

My mother was pre-diabetic for years, was never very heavy, but followed a diabetic diet religiously, all her numbers dropped, and she lost some weight. I always thought if I followed her path I could just get on the diet then and be fine...but we were all shocked when she had a heart attack in August this year. She had two blocks and had to get a stint put in, and is now in cardiac rehab and feeling better than ever. That scared me so bad, and made me realize it goes beyond just getting a good diet once the damage is done...it's too late at that point!!!!!! You are in a great position because the big damage has not been done yet, but you have all the warning signs that it is coming...so what do you want to do? Fix it now, or wait until something threatens your life and be forced to fix it?

I will never be the same after experiencing that with her. I am going to fix this BEFORE the serious damage is done...I have to fix this NOW. I don't have the confidence others have, but I know I can do this. AND YOU CAN, TOO! We can do it together here
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #14  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

Hey Juliana,
Don't feel overwhelmed. One thing I read on this site, which was helpful for me, was that everyone here is at someone else's goal (mini or otherwise). So try to think that you are merely at this step of the process
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 254

Everyone, thanks for all the encouragement and support. I needed to hear a lot of the wisdom you shared with me if not for new information then for reinforcement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
So the PAST DOES NOT MATTER. It's totally and completely irrevelevant. Deal with NOW. NOW is when you can change this. Make the vow, make the commitment to better your life.
As far as eating healthy, exercise, and caring for myself, I am currently aiming to live moment to moment. Like Rockin Robin said, I can't let the past matter anymore. I must live in the NOW. That is my mantra and I have begun saying it to myself. My diet isn't totally in a perfect place but I need to let go of perfection and accept the little successes I make. There are definitely still habits I must break but one of my successes this week has been the 2pm sugar craving. I haven't had my hand in the candy jar for almost 2 weeks and I've been noticing I don't crave the sugar at that time anymore. Woohoo!
[QUOTE=Purplefirefly;1931477]
You are in a great position because the big damage has not been done yet, but you have all the warning signs that it is coming...so what do you want to do? Fix it now, or wait until something threatens your life and be forced to fix it? [QUOTE]
Yes. I am still relatively young (30's). I know of a couple people recently who had diabetes and had to have their leg(s) amputated. This scared me. I don't want to lose any limbs or lose the ability to have chidren or be at risk of other diseases. In fact, after doing a health survey for my work, I am at extreme risk. I actually surpassed the "High risk" category. As several of you commented, I have the power to change and adjust my habits. I'm saying this in response to you but even more so as a reminder to myself.
[QUOTE=Sheila53;1931147]
Now you know, and now you can turn things around. You'll be amazed what losing 10% of your body weight can do for those numbers, and you're already part way toward losing that first 10%. [QUOTE]
I can't wait for the day when I can tell you the effects of weightloss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
what matters really is the pattern of weight loss. Don't let a different scale bother you.
I figured as much too, though the number on the doctor's scale made me really angry with myself. How did I get to this number? But, alas, I am here. And I agree that I should just follow the pattern of the numbers rather than the numbers themselves, focusing on the decrease in the numbers.
[QUOTE=ggmugsy;1931245]
I would just look at the test results as a starting place. Something to measure your progress against. Take some measurements, too. This weight loss thing starts with your own head. Get a positive mantra. Just keep telling yourself you DESERVE to be healthy and that YOU CAN DO IT. [QUOTE]
I need to do this. Maybe I should post my circumference to keep myself accountable. Will do this over the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nylisa View Post
Can you meet with a nutritionist?
One of my requests with the doctor is to connect me with a dietitian. My biggest concern is that I have had one in the past (including my mother who is a registered dietitian... perhaps that is where some of my issues stem from) and have also done programs like weight watchers and these are areas I have failed because a set diet has been provided for me. I think I tend to rebel from the structure because my mom had held me at such a close reign when it came to my weight. That said, I feel different about it this time and need the support of changing my diet. But, I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. This person will only be one more resource. Of course, this can only occur if my insurance allows me to utilize a dietitian.

You are all so appreciated today. Thanks!

Last edited by julzchiki; 11-16-2007 at 02:11 AM.
julzchiki is offline   Reply With Quote