Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone else perimenopausal?

I've been noticing signs of "the change" for the past year. When I read weight loss articles I can't help but notice how women say it's so much harder to lose weight once they have gone through the change. Yikes! That's one factor that's motivating me to stick with my plan this time around.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Good plan. I lost weight when I turned 40 (about 70 lbs) and it was a cakewalk compared to doing the same thing now with even more exercise and a lower calorie intake and the lbs. are coming off about 50% slower now (10 years later). That isn't a bad thing, but it CAN be a discouraging one.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #3  

OMG YES!!! Do you wake up in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep? That is SO annoying. I did WW 5 years ago and dropped the lbs like wildfire. Now it is only a few lbs a week at best. So I agree that the hormones probably interfere. I feel your pain sister!
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

The insomnia drives me crazy too! I did start using a natural progesterone cream two weeks every month. Some "experts" say it works and others say it doesn't. Regardless, it helps me sleep better and with the intensity and length of the flow. I'm just starting to read up on alternative remedies for dealing with these things. I don't have time for this nonsense
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

What age does this hit, I'm almost 40 and I can't sleep at night sometimes, I'm moodier then ever and lacking motivation at work. I've gained weight recently too without really pigging out. What fixes this hormonal "stuff" whatever the name of it is? I'm back on St John's Wort and really watching what I eat, exercising, yoga, meditation, mental relaxation... it all helps. Just wonder why I'm nutty.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #6  

Thumbs up I'm there.

Today's my first day, first post. I'm right there with you. I'll be 47 in a few months. Sleeping is a challenge. I've gained 20 pounds in about a year. Lots of heat problems in the middle of the night--hub sleeps under the covers, I sleep on top of them. He's not happy.

I've been exercising for two weeks now. AFter the scale not moving at all, I have, today, officially lost 1 pound, and I'm delighted. Not much, I know. But I am still happy. I think what has happened to my middle is the worst of it.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
LOOKNG4MYWAIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

I know how everyone feels. The night sweats are the worst. I also have a heart condition so I have to be careful with my exercising, as I can't raise my heart rate to high ( nothing over 120 ) or my implanted defribulator will go off, but my Dr. has told me exercise without raising my heart rate any higher than 120, and a weight loss of about 50 more pounds would be very good for me. I have been doing calorie counting, and have been averaging about 1 1/2pound per week weight loss for 4 weeks. Not sure about this week as I over indulged on Thanksgiving, but I did get right back on track the next day.

Thanks for listening,

Wilma
slim n up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #8  

HELLO AGAIN. I have lost one more pound. That makes two altogether. Yay!!!!! This is completely without clothes, though--I'm doing whatever I can to increase my positive attitude and motivation. My BMI is 29, and I read it should be less than 27. I wonder how many pounds I would have to lose to get there.

I bought a juicer and have started to drink fresh juices. I think they taste fabulous. Yesterday was a juice of 2 stalks celery, 2 carrots, 1 green apple, 1/2 a lime, and a tiny slice of fresh ginger. Man was that refreshing. I don't think I've tasted anything like that in my life, completely fresh and fulfilling. Maybe this will be a better option than other snacks. Anyone know how many calories that juice would have contained?

Good luck to you all.

Oh--I actually slept ok last night--bought an eye mask to keep out all light, even that from clocks and phones. Did it really work, or did I imagine it? First time I can remember in years that I wasn't aware of lying there waiting to fall asleep.
LOOKNG4MYWAIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #9  
Sunshine Seeker

S/C/G: 183/180/140 (want size 8!)

Hi...new here too.
I'm with ya...insomnia and thermoregulation problems! Even after a coolish a.m. shower, I am sweating before my hair is dry! Pretty tough to feel attractive for very long.
I'm sick of feeling this way, so am going to take charge! Knowing that carrying around 50 less pounds will make things easier (work-wise and on the eyes!).
If I must sweat, please let it be in a bikini on the beach while looking hot too!
BrownEyed Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/168/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi all - I am 47 and have been dealing with perimenopausal symptoms for what seems like forever, but actually only for about a year. I think the insomnia is about the worst thing ever - I live and sleep alone so it's not that I'm annoying anyone, but I am so tired all the time. And it makes it hard to get any work done while I'm at work. And then, of course, I just want comfy food to eat. The only thing I've done to help my food option is to just not have any "trigger" foods in my cupboards. If I just have point-friendly foods around I do much better and am just as satisfied. Jello and pudding have become favorites.
40Before50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #11  
Steps on this journey...

Height: 5'3

Ahhhh.... I can sigh with relief... I am only in my early 30s but got put on a medication that has put me into menopause. Haven't slept through the night in weeks (2-3 am wake up every single day). And c-r-a-b-b-y. My family is wondering what's going on and coming up with all kinds of theories.

I have started to drink A LOT of hot tea on the weekends, especially now that it's so cold. That helps me feel fuller without forcing me to drink more cold water. And I don't have foods that I know I can't control in the house. And if I go out to eat, I try to go to a place that will have salad or high protein stuff, Mongolian Barbeque is a recent favorite.
TheBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/223/150

Height: 5'3"

Cool over it, maybe?

I haven't had any symptoms, lately. I think I am over it, or godd forbid pregnant(probably not). The hard thing is fatigue, that makes me crave carbs, got to drink water, hope that will help. First time here, wish me luck
sgs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #13  
Sunshine Seeker

S/C/G: 183/180/140 (want size 8!)

Oh, I love the Mongo Grill!
BrownEyed Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #14  
skategirl

S/C/G: 148/139.5/130

Height: 5'2"

Oh yeah, have been going through this for 3 or 4 years now. I go through phases where I don't sleep well. Wake up every night at 3:00 on the button for about a week or so and then am fine for a few weeks. Put on almost 20 lbs in the past couple years despite being extremely active. Am constantly hungry and try to control that (obviously not well enough) but still put the weight on. It drives me crazy. The heats not so bad for me, usually starts with burning eyeballs (yeah I know it sounds kooky) but my eyeballs feel the heat first then it just spreads. I too don't have time for any of this nonsense.
Chris

Last edited by Chris; 01-09-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #15  
linda

S/C/G: 238/231/138

Height: 5foot 1inch \and a quarter

hi i am new to this site and just started diet 8 days ago. i went through the menopause at 30. glad i had my kids early. it,s the best thing that happened to me. no more pmt. no more chocolate cravings, no more fluid retention. may be slightly harder to lose weight but on the other hand little chance of ending up pregnant. the symptoms will pass. be positive.
linda25590 is offline   Reply With Quote