Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240.5/229.5/175

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Is it ok to decrease your calories significantly?

I usually eat 2000-2300 calories daily. For the last week or 2, I have been eating about 1400-1500 calories a day. I still feel fine and satisfied. I was just wondering if it healthy to do it or not because the weight is coming off very quickly. I haven't put a ton of exercise into the plan yet, just I have been very busy in life in general. So is this decrease too drastic? Am I losing too much weight to quickly? Is this healthy to do?
sumdaemaibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #2  

Were you losing on the higher calories? My only concern would be if you happen to plateau, there really aren't enough calories to cut back to "tweek" your plan.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #3  

I am not sure if I was losing on the higher calories. This is the first times that i am actually sticking to it. Thats true. Could I increase my activity significantly when that point comes?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #4  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I did the same thing as you Sumdae, and I actually ended up running into problems (i.e., metabolism went to the floor and I couldn't lose weight for weeks). I was satisfied... but like what shelby said, you'll have no room to move when a plateau hits. I had talked to my doctor about losing weight and he said drop them slowly- like 250 below mainanence, and then ride it out until you hit a plateau... and then drop down another 250 again, continue the cycle. Your body might be shocked by how drastically you cut down, and your metabolism might go into starvation mode because of it. But, it won't hurt to try it and see how your body reacts to it. Everyone is different. If your metabolism does crash, then you'll need to raise your calorie intake a bit.

Last edited by LittleMoonRabbit; 11-12-2007 at 10:38 AM.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #5  

Little, did you end up gaining that weight you lost from doing that back or did you just continue from there?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #6  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I know when I "cut back" I usually lose a bunch but then start feeling hungry, so I also found that smaller "cuts" helped, gave my body a deficiency but also it wasnt so drastic that I was hungry in a week or two. I mean most anyone can stick to 800 calories a day (NOT RECOMMENEDED) for a couple days, but then you are going to feel STARVED and that will cause (most of the time) you to binge/cheat and actually defeat the purpose of cutting back those calories to begin with.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #7  

Thats true, but it isn't 800 calories its almost about twice that amount.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

1400-1500 calories should be fine. Maybe you want to stick closer to the 1500 for a while and see how that goes.

I went all the way to goal without plateauing one little bit. It's DEFINITELY possible. I find that most, certainly not all, but that most plateaus - are self -induced. I had a little too much of this, I forgot about the bite I had of that. I couldn't get to the gym last week, etc.. You can definitely increase your exercise as you go on your journey. That's a great way to avoid a plateau - as is STICKING to your plan. We're all individuals and there is no way to know for certain how any of this will play out, just gotta take a wait and see/trial and error approach. Good luck!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #9  

Wow. Thats so cool. I hope I can stick through it like you did.Thank you everyone.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I agree with Rockinrobin. I've lost more than 90 pounds now without a plateau of any kind. Now everybody is different but why plan for something that may never come? Why give up the great losses you're having now for something that might not happen at all? I have found that my exercise has gotten a lot more intense as I have lost weight and gotten into better shape; perhaps that's why I don't plateau. I also count everything I eat or drink so there's no chance of adding calories without really realizing it.

1400 to 1500 is a perfectly reasonable number of calories; I doubt there is a doctor in the world who would tell you differently. It's all about playing with things and finding what works for you. Try it. Too hard? Try something else. You've got plenty of time to experiment.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote