Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default sometimes feel a bit like Jeez... suggestions?

Heyyy,

I don't know if it's the winter or what, but recently I noticed that sometimes I get a little nagging in the back of my head, like jeez, this is going to take a while to lose all the remaining pounds. I've lost 78 pounds to date and have 6 more pounds before I'm at the half-way mark... Still have over 80 pounds left to lose.

I still am motivated here I work out 6 times a week by walking and watch my caloric intake.

How do others deal with their long-term weight loss goals?

Thanks!
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by teawithsunshine View Post
One day at a time. Just one day at a time, what other choice is there?

You are doing so phenomenally well, there is no reason on earth why you can not continue. This is about a LIFESTYLE change, we're in this forever, long after we hit goal. It doesn't stop when we get there or we'll just pile the pounds right back on. So, we've just got to take it - one day at a time.

You ARE getting there. I find time goes so quickly. Before you know it you'll be at your goal weight!!! Just keep at it. Keep on going. Hang tough. It's soooo incredibly worth it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

What rockinrobin said!

Yes, it's a long haul. Yes, it's hard--it's tiring to always have a calorie deficit. But there really is no other choice other than staying with your plan every day until you get there.

That said, some people do decide to take a break from losing and maintain for awhile--then start losing again. I did this--I maintained for 3 months. That was just to give myself a rest. On the other hand, some folks would just as soon keep on going and not lose momentum.

Yes, it will take time--but the time will pass whether you're on plan or not.

Keep on keepin' on!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It does get discouraging from time to time, but one day at a time really is the answer. Also, look back at all the things you couldn't do before, but can now. You have to believe it's worth it!

You're doing really well!!

I'll also echo what Jay said about maintenance. I sort of fell into maintenance just below 180 and am kind of still there. Don't know what I will do next and when, but I DO know that I can maintain 120 pound weight loss, and that's nothing to sneeze at. I'm not saying you should do that, but it is something some people have done...

Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I hate winter with a white hot passion. It doesn't even get that cold here and it still makes me miserable. I don't know what people do who live where it snows.

What is keeping me going is the knowledge that next spring, when I start to unbundle from the winter clothes, I'm going to be really close to my goal weight. Shorts and tanktops will really show off all that hard work I'm going to do this winter. I feel like I'm working towards a spring unveiling, of sorts, and I find it really encouraging.

Keep with it; nasty winter is going to pass one way or the other.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It did take me a long time to lose weight, but the time did pass. There were many little victories along the way to keep me motivated. I used Excel to chart my weight loss, so I had the reassuring constant downward movement of the chart to look at. I set 10 lb goals and gave myself some really nice rewards every 10 lbs lost. I kept trying on old clothes, watching them start to slide off. I went to stores and tried on new clothes, amazed as I kept grabbing smaller and smaller sizes. About 30 lbs down, I went to an event and there were pictures of me, and I actually LIKED them. They were posted online and everyone could see and I was GLAD.

I totally agree with Robin - one day at a time, what choice is there? Time will still pass whether or not you are losing weight or not. Where do you want to be in 1 year?
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #7  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

How do I deal with it? I don't! Seriously, I don't think about it!

When I first started it was all so daunting, and I would get depressed about having to lose 100 lbs. So I shut it out of my mind and when those thoughts DID creep up on me I had to sit and give myself a pep talk and tell myself I was going to do just fine Now that I'm over the halfway mark it all seems a lot more doable to me than before, which is such a blessing! I do occasionally worry about losing these last 39 pounds but I wouldn't be human if I didn't!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's odd, it some ways I *guess* it was daunting. But mostly, I found it thrilling, exhilarating and EXCITING. I knew that every single day that I stuck with it, it was one day closer to ending my misery. And by the time, I was at the 1/2 way point, earlier in fact, my life was ALREADY greatly improved and I was throroughly enjoying each new dress size and each new NSV that was coming along so fast my head was spinning. At this point, I was soo certain that I would get to my goal, that the time was really not a factor. I knew that I'd get there - as long as I STUCK with it. I was totally and completely in control of the outcome. And that gave me a lot of confidence.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

78 pounds!!! WOO HOO!!!! You're doing GGGGGrrrrreeeeaaattttttt!!!!!

Yes, it takes soooo much time. But you're almost at your half-way mark! That's just FABULOUS!!!! I'm very excited for you! (not so much for myself, as I'm having trouble getting past the 5lb mark!!!! )
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Ditto about one day at a time, also one pound at a time. Alos, I don't think about the big picture, no pun intended. If I thought about the totla weight I want to lose it is too daunting for me and I do get frustrated. That is why I make small goals...seems a lot easier for me.

You've come a long way and have done fantastic! You'll be there before you know! Just keep on truckin'!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Quote:
I hate winter with a white hot passion. It doesn't even get that cold here and it still makes me miserable. I don't know what people do who live where it snows.
Winter here is long, cold and brutal! BUT every chance we get we go out and snowboard (yeah, right...I wish, I just watch the kids), ice skate, and sledding. Walking up hill in 2 feet or more of snow really does wonders for me. Wish I could afford cross country skis for the whole family, I've seen so many people out on the trails and it looks like so much fun! Plus we go to the Y and swim a couple times each week.
I have to look at winter as an oppurtunity, instead of a burden! If I don't, then I get terrible seasonal depression...I just need to get out
So my suggestion is quit thinking about it and get out of the house! Just do something, even if it's just a little bit and you feel so much better!
teawithsunshine you are doing great already, just keep plugging away!

Last edited by drake3272004; 11-12-2007 at 07:42 PM.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Wow! Thanks guys! That's a really great pep talk/motivator right there!

Yeah, most days I'm ecstatic and motivated to keep going, but once in a while I get a nagging thought for a moment or two. Thanks for all your kind words and advice!!
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teawithsunshine View Post
Heyyy,

I don't know if it's the winter or what, but recently I noticed that sometimes I get a little nagging in the back of my head, like jeez, this is going to take a while to lose all the remaining pounds. I've lost 78 pounds to date and have 6 more pounds before I'm at the half-way mark... Still have over 80 pounds left to lose.

I still am motivated here I work out 6 times a week by walking and watch my caloric intake.

Thanks!
I can empathize with your mindset about how difficult it is. OTOH, you've lost half the amount of weight you want to and that is amazing.

I too feel daunted by this journey, and it is wonderful that people can get so much support from this board with people struggling the same way you are.

In the past I've been pretty lax about trying to get support on this and I do think it makes a difference. I know when I read the amazing amount of weight some folks have lost and continue to lose I feel inspired to keep with it. My main problem is I'm getting bored with my food choices, as well as the challenge of having to cook for others while still keeping within something of a budget.
msister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8

minigoals. When I started working on my habits back in May 2004, my goal was 100 pounds. So far, I've lost 60 (had a broken bone in my foot at one points & a few points where I just went back & forth withing 5-10 pounds because I lacked motivation). I just try to look at it as minigoals. For example, now that I'm 190, I focus on 180 which is my next minigoal. Plan a non food related reward for the minigoal (manicure, music, a new blouse whatever works for you)
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote