General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Amy Winehouse

She is on such a downward spiral. It is so sad to watch someone so young (mid 20s) and talented do this to herself. I don't think her husband is helping her very much either. I guess she's Briton's version of Britney. At least she doesn't have children yet.

She is such a little slip of a woman with a HUGE voice! It's too bad she can't stay out of the drugs. She was slated to open next year for the Rolling Stones. They've cancelled her. I can hardly blame them. I guess she and Keith would have hung out together.

Now her husband has been arrested for "trial fixing" and beating up some bartender.

Last edited by cbmare; 11-09-2007 at 04:19 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

That girl is a train wreck. I personally don't think she's talented but that's just my opinion. I think it's sad that we glorify someone who sings about how they don't want to go to rehab. What a horrible influence she'll be on impressionable kids. She needs serious mental help and a divorce.
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

What about people who have song lyrics about doing drugs? There are a lot of those, and many people would call some of those songs some of the best rock songs ever written. I think its all about the music as a whole and the technical/creative ability of the performers - not just the lyrics. But that is coming from a musician
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I agree, modkittn... for instance, everyone loves Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!

As for what I think of Amy Winehouse... pop stars often have messed up personal lives. It's almost a prerequesite! I suppose she is sort of like the UK's version of Britney, except I would not QUITE give her that title yet because she has not been around as long

I don't care what she does. If her life is tragic, then I feel sorry for her, but it's her business and her choices that made it that way.

I DO think she is talented, though, definitely. She has a very unique voice and sound and I enjoy her music... much, much more than I ever enjoyed Britney's (I think she is pretty talentless).
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkittn View Post
What about people who have song lyrics about doing drugs? There are a lot of those, and many people would call some of those songs some of the best rock songs ever written. I think its all about the music as a whole and the technical/creative ability of the performers - not just the lyrics. But that is coming from a musician
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I just think it is a tragic waste of talent when they do this to themselves.

IA with Flabuless, too. These people should not be allowed to be role models. I think that is where we, as parents, have to do something.

Take Rap. Some of those lyrics are dredful. Kill the cop, rape the girl, don't snitch to the cops, etc.

Oh! Can you picture it? A couple sitting around in 20 years and they hear an oldie about killing the cop and raping the girl. "Oh, honey! They're playing our song!"
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I just think it is a tragic waste of talent when they do this to themselves.

IA with Flabuless, too. These people should not be allowed to be role models. I think that is where we, as parents, have to do something.
I was only commenting on her music, not her choices in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Take Rap. Some of those lyrics are dredful. Kill the cop, rape the girl, don't snitch to the cops, etc.

Oh! Can you picture it? A couple sitting around in 20 years and they hear an oldie about killing the cop and raping the girl. "Oh, honey! They're playing our song!"
Well now I don't like rap music because I think the music is dreadful. Combine that with lyrics that aren't good and you have horrible songs. I do, however, like hip-hop. MUCH better music (and lyrics).

But you are right. Parents should be responsible for monitoring what their children listen to!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i love her music..its a kick butt album...but man she's definately a train wreck..they had a betting pool going in vegas about her concert attendace...but some people just need some serious help
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Interesting.

I was never censored growing up as far as what I could listen to and I don't plan on censoring my own children. I mean, some of the songs I grew up with- WOW. I listen to them now and have to laugh at some of them and their hidden vulgarity.

First it was the the devil's tone, then Mozart's Magic Flute, then jazz, Elvis, and rock & roll. Now it's rap. What on Earth will those crazy kids come up with next?

As for Amy, Shane, I couldn't agree more. Pop stars and rock stars are messed up- it is the artist's struggle. Amy just wears it on her sleeve with bad lyrics while ripping off motown.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Don't forget Tap Root Manuscript by Neil Diamond JEN...wicked!....wink

Oh and check out Amy's bod....she wears IT everywhere...such tats....but what a cool voice!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Don't forget Tap Root Manuscript by Neil Diamond JEN...wicked!....wink

Oh and check out Amy's bod....she wears IT everywhere...such tats....but what a cool voice!
You and your Neil Diamond

I will give Amy that- her voice definitely has that something extra.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Amy is tremendously talented -- catch one of her sober acoustic perfomances and you'll see. I LOVE her -- her music is different and very refreshing from everything else that gets played on the radio now. BUT, it's deeply saddening to see her not only exploiting her addiction, but vagrantly flaunting it. She's a poor role model to anyone who admires her. I just hope she gets help. It will be terribly tragic to see her lose her battle with addiction.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I also agree Amy is talented...love her music and style! But I do agree also that her personal life is a mess.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote