Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #1  
Learning to Live

S/C/G: 235/235/160

Height: 5'5

Talking Turkey Tacos

Hello everyone. We are having a football party this Sunday for the Chiefs/Broncos game, and I have decided to make tacos for everyone. I know tacos are not the best thing for me so I decided to make myself turkey tacos. Does anyone know a good recipe, that doesn't differ to much from regular tacos besides the turkey meat?
MrsTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

All I do is use the turkey meat instead, and have some light shredded cheese and fat free sour cream on hand instead of the regular stuff. I also use soft tortillas that are high in fiber and low in calories, fat, and carbs.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #3  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

I just use turkey burger instead of ground beef and add the taco seasoning accordingly. Light cheese and whole wheat tortillas then tons of veggies. I have found that even some non traditional "taco veggie" (lettuce, tomato, onions) are good in them. I love to dice up some green peppers and shredded carrots both are good in them.

Go Chiefs!!
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #4  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Make sure that the ground turkey you get is white meat only. Jennie-O has white meat only but most other brands use white and dark meat which actually ends up being more fat and calories than the extra lean ground beef. Also an easy way to cut down on fat/calories for yourself is to eat a taco salad instead of a taco, you get all the same great ingredients and flavor without the fat/calories of the shell. If you really want to have tacos with the rest of the gang have yours in soft tortillas since they are not deep fried like the crunchy ones.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #5  
Learning to Live

S/C/G: 235/235/160

Height: 5'5

Those are all great ideas, I will definantly do that. I like my tacos actually in the shells but I will make sure to you use soft wheat shells. Thanks everyone.
MrsTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Mmmm we used to have taco night once a week. Ever since I started my new lifestyle, I have subbed the turkey (breast) meat for the ground beef. The kids don't notice the difference, and I feel a little less guilty about eating some.

I have been making my own taco seasoning so I can cut back on the amount of salt that is used in the prepackaged seasoning.

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container

This makes enough for one lb of meat. You want to add this to the meat after you've browned it, and a cup of hot water, then simmer until the water evaporates.

Edit section:
I've seen on a tv show about eating healthier... they use 4 inch whole wheat tortillas... and place them on this (hard to describe) wavy metal pan... they form the tortillas into a taco shape. Then it's baked to make them crisp. You can use those in place of the high sodium corn taco shells. I'll have to try it myself

Last edited by tamaralynn; 11-20-2007 at 09:07 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote