General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default What detergent do you use on your laundry?

Has anyone tried the Pure Essentials - Tide, Downy and Bounce? I used some samples and it smells great! What do you like?
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I use Tide Simple Pleasures - Lavender Vanilla. It means putting on clean laundry gives me just a little bit of joy.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I love the lavender vanilla too!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I'm allergic to everything. Also, I have eczema and I have environmental concerns so I use Seventh Generation unscented (liquid.) It gets my clothes clean and I don't get itchy!

I'm curious about something else laundry related. I don't use fabric softener of any kind (due to the allergy thing) and honestly, my clothes are never static clingy. Are softeners and dryer sheets something that the soap companies want to make us think are necessary or does it relate to how hard/or soft your water is? Or does it have nothing to do with static to begin with? I'm just curious.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

My city has incredibly mineral-ey water. Dryer sheets fall into the category of "essential" if I don't want all of my clothes clinging to my legs/arms/stomach/etc.

I don't know if they are necessary everywhere, and fabric softeners themselves never solved the problems. But dryer sheets work for me.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I have no idea. When I run out of dryer sheets, the only thing that's noticeable is the fact that my clothes don't smell like anything.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #7  
it's always something

I use Method laundry detergent. I also use Ecos and other all natural detergents. I never touch the other stuff, it's bad for the environment.

Method smells great!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Where can you purchase Method laundry detergent?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #9  
Renee

S/C/G: 197/Ticker/145

I've seen method at target. I use Purex Natural Elements Apple & Melon, it's the only thing I have found doesn't bother my eczema.
Sexyshado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #10  
Moderating Mama

I must have the weirdest skin on the planet. The Method stuff makes me break out something terrible, while the super-scented Tide doesn't. I've always had skin that is very choosy about laundry detergent, but why on Earth would my skin be so much more offended at the more natural product?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #11  
Renee

S/C/G: 197/Ticker/145

Tide does that to me, I just break out with a nasty rash all over. I have never personally tried method because we don't have anywhere close that sells it, unless I want to drive the hour to Madison just for laundry detergent... lol
Sexyshado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I think Method is Target's brand so you can probably only find it there.

I've been using Tide's Clean Breeze. This is probably the strangest thing, but I was using Tide's cold water detergent (all I can find is "Fresh" scent) when I had morning sickness with my first baby. I can barely smell that stuff now without gagging. It took forever for us to get through that whole bottle.

I think I'll give some of those fancy flavors a try, I'm ready for something new. If I could, I'd wash stuff in Dreft forever. It smells like baby powder. But it just doesn't work that well.

OK, it's official, I care way too much about laundry detergent.

Last edited by Amy8888; 11-09-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I can't have a lot of smelly stuff. My sinuses let me know in no uncertain terms that they will hate me and make me suffer.

I got these round containers with some sort of mineral balls in them. It's been working great. I just throw it in the washer and leave it for the entire load. I could fish it out before the rinse cycle but I don't want to spend that time sloshing around the washer. One ball has lasted almost a year. I have another one to start when all the little balls in this one are gone. Also, the clothes don't fade like they do with powdered detergent.

I have to use dryer sheets. Our water is hard.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #14  
it's always something

Method is available at a lot of stores and is also online at drugstore.com and amazon.com. It may look like it costs more, but it requires much less per load. I think Target has the best price. They have a website at www.methodhome.com where you can learn more about their products.

Cooks Illustrated just rated dish detergents last month and they rated the natural brands like Method and Seventh Generation as being better than Dawn or other regular dish detergents CI said "Quite simply, these companies say they spend the money to load their products with high concentrations of effective surfactants, which ensures a high-performing detergent. We'd have to say this approach works." Maybe that same comment applies to their laundry detergents.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

Maybe it is the higher level of concentration my skin dislikes?

I was all set to go to all-natural, earth friendly laundry methods and then got all rashy. I've tried a couple of different brands and have had to give the leftovers all away...miserable!