Old 11-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs down Atkins Gets A Bad Rap Again!

This was among the news on Yahoo yesterday:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071106/...heart_diets_dc

First of all, the article states the study was based on 18 people that did each of the 3 diets (Atkins, SB & Ornish) for 1 month. It perviously stated "When you lose weight everything looks good but after a while you plateau and you hit a maintenance stage," said Miller, who presented his findings to a meeting of the American Heart Association in Orlando, Florida.
Correct me if I am wrong, 1 month on ANY diet plan does NOT constitute a maintenance stage!! Perhaps if they had based their study on say, 100 people who have been on Atkins for 1 year or more...it most definitely would have produced extremely different results!

The article went on to mention "Most studies have shown that diets that stress vegetables, low-fat sources of protein such as beans and legumes, and whole grains provide the best long-term weight loss." Well...DUH!!!!! This statement causes me to wonder just exactly what these 18 people that were "doing Atkins" for 1 month ate! Contrary to popular belief...Atkins is NOT all about sitting & consuming lbs of bacon, butter & red meat all day long!! From day 1 on the Atkins lifestyle, vegetables are strongly encouraged. If you look at the Acceptable Foods List: http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/
you will see 59 vegetables listed. The Pre-Maintenance phase of Atkins includes legumes: lentils, kidney beans, black beans, navy beans, lima beans, great northern beans, chick peas, fava beans, pinto beans. And much to the average "Atkins doubter's" surprise FRUIT is encouraged on Pre-Maintenance! Apples, cherries, peaches, grapes, strawberries, grapefruit, cantaloupe, kiwi, watermelon, fruit cocktail (packed in water), plums, small banana, guava, mango. Grains such as long grain brown rice, old fashioned oatmeal, corn kernels, whole wheat cereal (Wheatena), barley, semolina pasta are also permitted.

There was 1 statement in this article that they managed to get correct "Many low-fat diets allow processed carbohydrates such as white flour, which have also been shown to be unhealthy, experts agree." How many more years do you think it will be before they realize fat is not what makes you fat??

And last, but..certainly not least, their ending comment..."We don't recommend the Atkins diet," "Why not start out with a diet that will be healthier for you in the long run after weight loss?" Perhaps their next study should be on those of us "Atkineers" that have been maintaining on this plan longer than 1 month!!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile You tell em Jerseygirl!

I have been on a lot of diet plans in my life time and I have always said that Atkins was one of the easiest to follow. I have both of his books and in the last chapter he talks about his plan as being a solution to Type II diabetes.

My mom is a diabetic and she meets routinely with a registered dietician to help teach her how to manage her diabetes with diet. She does not take insulin and I believe it is because she has learned how to control her diabetes through food intake and medication. We were talking recently and she mentioned to me that she has to stay within 15 grams of carbs each day. I asked her if she was following Atkins and she said "I don't know". She also told me that contrary to what she (and I'm sure others believed) it was not sugar so much that she was to be concerned about but instead carbs!

She had an experience when she ate a hamburger on bun and her blood sugar went through the roof. She later found out that had she not had the bun this would not have happened. Yes, it was a white flour processed bun.

I agree with you 100% on about how FAT does NOT make us FAT! Here is another book, if you have time, to read that I recommend: The Fat Fallacy by Dr. Will Clower. I bought it on Amazon.com for $2 (the shipping cost more than the book!) It is a chilling book about what the food industry has done to our food and how we are "unknowingly"(?) putting stuff in our mouths and bodies that really is no more than chemicals from some laboratory!

I could go on but I don't want to write a book. What I am trying to do right now is educate myself so I can make INFORMED decisions about what I do and don't eat. Then, if I eat a "faux" food or a "whole" food, I won't have any one to blame but myself.

Congrats on the weight lose, you look great!!

Last edited by pamatga; 11-07-2007 at 11:46 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #3  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Hi Kim,

But check this out and scroll all the way down! This is really good!

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

Last edited by FitinTime; 11-07-2007 at 11:46 AM.
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And don't forget Stanford University said Atkins was the best.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #5  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I studied to be a registered dietitian (in another life LOL) - was a year away (couldn't afford the 40 hr wk no pay for a year internship at the time) . . . anyhoo - in a course about heart disease - was AMAZED even then that the correlation between dietary fat and cholesterol levels was almost non-existent. This was 1984/85!

On a personal note - I've put both my older adult onset diabetic brothers on Atkins - happy to report that BOTH are now controlling their sugars with diet & exercise (one bro was on 3 insulin SHOTS per day - the other on mega insulin by mouth - close to switching to injctions) - neither one requires insulin now!

Neither are emotional eaters like me - so that helps.

I am most annoyed and sometimes outraged by those who say: "Dr. Atkins died of a stroke/heart attack didn't he?" So called "study results" like these fudged #'s also tick me off!

1 month study, indeed!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:01 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Hi Diana

Thanks for that link...very interesting reading indeed. Dr. Atkins & his eating plan has been dragged through the mud for as long as I can remember. The majority of the "nay sayers" are totally uneducated about Atkins. They think we sit around all day eating nothing but fat and never getting any exercise. I've been doing this way of eating since 2004 and it still shocks people when they see me eating a salad!! They don't believe I'm doing Atkins because my plate isn't piled high with meat or bacon. Putting it very bluntly, that is nothing but ignorance. And I admit, until I took the time to sit down & read Dr. Atkins book....I, too was ignorant.

Speaking of ignorance, one of the people I work with read the Yahoo article yesterday and thought she was going to argue with me regarding Dr. Atkins death. She, as well as many others believe he passed away due to his own diet. It amazes me what people choose to believe.

I was overweight my entire life and had tried many other "diets" to lose weight. Any diet, when done correctly will acheieve weight loss....HOWEVER, the key to success is changing your eating habits for a lifetime. I was able to do that with Atkins. I only wish Dr. Atkins were alive today so I could thank him for saving my life!

Despite what articles come out ripping the Atkins lifestyle apart...I will remain loyal to this way of life!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim

Old 11-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
And don't forget Stanford University said Atkins was the best.
http://www.news-medical.net/?id=22437

For more interesting reading...have a look at this:

http://health.msn.com/centers/choles...2801&gt1=10605

Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #8  
Mrs. Determined

Hi Kim!

These people who do the reports are probably sugar addicts! haha!!

Did you look at the Jack Lalanne video? He was talking about not eating anything with sugar over 50 years ago, and how good we would feel by taking it out of our diet! Hr said give it 5 days!
He was a smart man!

I'm going to read your links now.

Diana

Last edited by FitinTime; 11-07-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #9  
Mrs. Determined

Kim,
one more thing.

When people say that vegetables are not the same as regular carbs, or that by eating vegetables and fruits we don't get enough good carbs in our bodies.

I was told that by my sil when she was trying to tell my mom that Atkins was bad. You know the same ol thing others say who don't know about Atkins, that we are not eating real carbs that our bodies need to function properly.

How do I answer them?

Diana
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #10  
Mrs. Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by aud View Post
I studied to be a registered dietitian (in another life LOL) - was a year away (couldn't afford the 40 hr wk no pay for a year internship at the time) . . . anyhoo - in a course about heart disease - was AMAZED even then that the correlation between dietary fat and cholesterol levels was almost non-existent. This was 1984/85!

On a personal note - I've put both my older adult onset diabetic brothers on Atkins - happy to report that BOTH are now controlling their sugars with diet & exercise (one bro was on 3 insulin SHOTS per day - the other on mega insulin by mouth - close to switching to injctions) - neither one requires insulin now!

Neither are emotional eaters like me - so that helps.

I am most annoyed and sometimes outraged by those who say: "Dr. Atkins died of a stroke/heart attack didn't he?" So called "study results" like these fudged #'s also tick me off!

1 month study, indeed!
Hi Aud!

That is fantastic for your brothers! I bet they feel great!

I don't know why these studies don't take real people who have made this their woe and wol, and see what their blood work is after doing Atkins!

My dad who was borderline diabetic started doing this by the encouragment of my younger sister, (who got me started on this) is doing a low carb lifestyle. He's not doing pure Atkins, but he has cut out all refined sugars and white flour from his diet, him and my mom are doing this. They have lost weight and inches and my dads' sugar count is way down and all because of how he is eating.

I know people want to say how DA died, but they don't know the truth. They rather believe a lie then the truth!

Shake the dust off our feet at them! LOL

Diana
Old 11-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitinTime View Post
Kim,
one more thing.

When people say that vegetables are not the same as regular carbs, or that by eating vegetables and fruits we don't get enough good carbs in our bodies.

I was told that by my sil when she was trying to tell my mom that Atkins was bad. You know the same ol thing others say who don't know about Atkins, that we are not eating real carbs that our bodies need to function properly.

How do I answer them?

Diana

Hi Diana,
People are right, vegetables are not the same as regular carbs. Regular carbs are starch & sugar. Starch & sugar is what causes our blood sugar to be unstable. Unstable blood sugar is unhealthy and can cause a mirage of health problems from hypoglycemia to diabetes.

When people try to tell me Atkins is bad for me, I simply ask them "Have you read the book?"....when they respond "well....ummmm...no, I haven't" I look at them and smile and say "when you've read you the book & you understand this way of eating...we can talk".

Results speak for themself....people can't agrue when they see it really works!

Kim
Old 11-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #12  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I am getting this just about everywhere I go and from everyone that hears I am doing Atkins. I am to the point of just tuning it out because they just don't get it, haven't read the book, and don't understand. **** I haven't finished the book either, all I know is Kim seems healthy and convinced and I lost 4 lbs so far so I ain't gonna argue with that, LOL!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #13  
Mrs. Determined

Yep! Kim is our Atkins Spokeperson. If anyone can say Atkins works it's her. If we don't lose on this woe, it's because we're not doing it the way it's supposed to be done. This is our woe and wol. I may go off plan for one day, once in awhile, but after that I can't continue on with the hc eating. It doesn't feel good or natural anymore.
I go right back on Atkins and eat lc. I never stayed this long on any woe before. I know this is right for me I can tell it's doing my body good!

So the proof is in the pudding! To my sil, I'll say, remember the way I used to look, well look at me now! I've lost 38 lbs and I'm still going down!!
Teehee!

Stick with it People it works!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #14  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

That's right diva - so hard to argue with RESULTS!

Weight loss AND health benefits.

Curious.

Has anyone else here done what the book suggests by having before & after blood work done?

I've done this 3-4 times in the last 10 or so years - always amazed (don't ask me why I have to keep "proving" the difference to myself-not sure.) Takes me about 3 mos but there's ALWAYS a huge total cholesterol fall - and amazing "good" to "bad" ratio improvement!

Both my Brothers had wonderful cholesterol readings (a lot of this is genetics - My Mom, who died from heart disease always had like a 117-125 total cholesterol reading!) . . . Brothers ranged in the 120's even on their super high carb lifestyle - but the proof was in the good v bad ratio - their triglycerides went waaaaay low. So glad your Dad & Family are getting results too, fittie!

BOTH Dr.'s AND the dietitian were shocked when they told them that their Lil Sis had them on "Atkins." Both were warned "to be careful with that" - but were struck kind of speechless with the results of the tests/medication cut back.

Hate to say it - but my former colleagues with the ADA/dietitians are kind of locked into this whole federal "food pyramid" schlock - even with evidence to the contrary looking them in the face!

Folks who chant the "low-fat" mantra and spout the uneducated opinions about "Atkins" -the diet AND his death- are basically just afraid, I think.

Afraid that they won't be able to give up their gallons of soda & convenience carbs/donuts etc etc or get off the white flour breads and pastas etc etc.

aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #15  
Mrs. Determined

Fat has been berry berry good to me!

I know before I started LC/Atkins, I used to breathe heavy any time I moved or turned around in bed while sleeping. So now I can move and breathe and bend down without gasping for air!

I could never do a low fat diet, I tried it years ago and I was always hungry. I remember when I started working at Intel a few years ago, this lady had just lost alot of weight on WW. Even though she had lost weight she was always munching on carrots or celery, apparently she was hungry all the time.

I don't feel hungry at all, as long as I'm eating how I'm supposed to and it's the fat that keeps us satisfied.

These people who the studies should come to these forums and see how Atkins really works. But they don't want to appear wrong!

I see alot of restaurants once again accomadating lc eating. So it obviously hasn't been forgotten.

Diana