South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #1  
keep on

S/C/G: 187/173/130

Height: 5*8

Default restarting phase 1

im restarting phase 1 and having a hard time . i work in a bakery and and the temptation has been killer... ive done well at home but go to the bakery and
all **** breaks loose. i fall into temptation and barrel over the 75 cal sweet tooth a day mark. i get right back up after leaving work but i dont like it because i want to succeed on this, i did once already and have \kept the majority of the weight off.....
does anyone have any ideas or words of wisdom for me....

also, ive been in a jam when it comes to breakfast -- i have turned to eating a ceral bar from the sbd food collection made for phase 2---is this a bad move ?
how much room to cheat on things is there?

please send any ideas or anything youve got...recipes maybe for sweet tooth items that i can use for those days at the bakery to fake myself out?
aimeep77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

almeep,
I do think the bar for breakfast is not something you want to do every day. And particularly on PH1, you want to stick to the plan pretty strictly. This is especially important for you to get rid of any cravings, since you have to be around all those baked goods. I've found that breakfast is so important, and it might even help with fighting those temptations at the bakery. Quick breakfast ideas:
PH1: Hardboiled eggs, cheese cubes, lunchmeat rolled up with cheese and veggies, V8, turkey bacon or sausage, egg salad, a glass of milk.
PH2: Fruit, a sandwich or WW tortilla with meat and cheese, egg salad.

Working in a bakery, wow, that's a toughie. I think you can do it though. Make sure you have good snacks with you at all times. Drink a lot of water. Once you get into a groove, it should be easier. Okay, this is extreme, but I think I'd have to find a way to psych myself out. Like once I worked in a restaurant that specialized in breakfasts and we found a nest of baby rats in the pancake mix. After that I've never had too much trouble resisting pancakes. Sometimes I visualize gross stuff like this when I want to eat something. I wish you lots of willpower!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I've avoided all sweet things, even the 75 calorie treat. I tend to eat some things compulsively - things like sweets and chips. I just need to stay away from them because if I eat a few I will definitely want more. Maybe a period of complete abstinence might help?

My cravings did get better when I stuck strictly to P1 for 3 weeks. Keep posting, I'm cheering for you
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

The idea of Phase 1 is to "detox" your body from the refined carbohydrates and simple sugars that spike your blood sugar and can cause cravings. You need to stick to the plan for it to work. It's only designed to be for two weeks because it's really not a nutritionally balanced two weeks, but it does the job of getting rid of physical cravings for sweets and breads and allows you to form a healthier and well-rounded plan for losing the rest of your weight.

If I was in your situation, I'd have to make loads of rules for myself...like, "You may only eat sitting down," and "You may only eat things made with whole wheat flour once Phase 2 starts," and "You may only eat the snacks and meals you pack for yourself," etc. to eliminate the idea in my head that I could cheat on the bakery's goods.

Good luck!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/159

Height: 5'7"

Walking through the bakery of a store was really tough during Phase 1.. Once I got through a clean two weeks of Phase 1, my cravings were under control and it really did get a lot easier.

I'm not sure I understand something in your post... When you say you are losing control of your 75 cal sweet treat allowance while at the bakery, do you mean you are eating baked goods as your sweet treat? Baked goods don't qualify as a SB sweet treat. Here's what would qualify as a sweet treat...

SWEET TREATS (Limit to 75 calories per day) <Limit raised to 100 calories in 2006>

Sweet treats are items that contain sugar alcohols, such as:

Candies, hard, sugar-free
Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
Cocoa powder, baking type
Fudgsicles, no sugar added
Gelatin, sugar-free
Gum, sugar-free
James and jellies, sugar-free
Popsicles, sugar-free
Syrups, sugar-free

Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post and that's not what's going on...

Our favorite is the NSA Fudgesicles but, of course, they don't travel very well.

We do like the Bean Brownies, which are Phase 1 friendly...

Black Bean Brownies

Preheat Oven: 350 Fahren

1 15 oz. can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
4 eggs
3/4 Cup Splenda
3 Tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
2 TBL. oil
1 TBL. vanilla
1/2 Cup dry non-fat milk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 Cup ricotta cheese
chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pour into an 8x8 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated to keep fresh.
These only keep for a couple of days, so if you aren’t going to eat them right away, wrap them individually and put them in the freezer.

The other thing I'd suggest is to not allow yourself to get hungry... If your hungry, it makes it even harder to resist those off-program foods. Make sure to pre-plan your snacks and have them with you. Having protein with each snack will help keep you satisfied.

Good luck... you can do it!

Last edited by 1oftheLuvs; 11-05-2007 at 01:27 AM.
1oftheLuvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

aimeep! I give you tons of kudos for trying to do SBD in spite of working at a bakery. I have to say that I don't think I could have gotten through Phase 1 while working there. If it were me (not speaking as a mod here...), I'd either take a two-week leave of absence, or find another job before starting SBD. Honestly, working at a bakery, for someone who's tempted by the things they sell, is setting yourself up for failure. It's not about not having enough willpower--it's about putting yourself in a position where you could never have enough willpower! Is there any chance that you could find another job?

In the meantime, I totally concur with what the other chicks have said. The "cleaner" (i.e. closer to plan) you do Phase 1, the better success you'll have with the rest of the plan. If you let even a tiny bit of sugar in during the first week, you'll need to start it over again--it just won't work well. Phase 2 leaves a lot more room for cheating, but if you do it very often, you won't see much weight loss and you may really mess up your metabolism. See the Thinking of Cheating on this Plan? thread for tons of good info on that.

The other chicks did a great job of explaining about sweet treats. The really important thing to remember in the future is that just because something is listed as "Sugar Free" doesn't mean it's on plan (OP). Many, many bakery items are made without sugar but have tons of fruit juice (same effect on your blood as sugar has) or are made with white flour (same effect on your blood as sugar has), so even though they may be helpful for people on reduced-sugar diets, they don't do anything for us. Bringing your own sweet treats is a great idea! Maybe you can chew sugar free gum so you won't be tempted to put something else in your mouth?

I wish you tons of luck and hope you'll post and let us know how things are going!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

P.S. I also agree with the chicks about breakfast. You need something with more protein and less grains. The intense sweetness of the cereal bars can make some people crave intensely--so it might be making your problem much worse. Also, you can't eat them at all in Phase 1 if you want it to work. Stick with straight protein and veggies. If you have to eat on the go, make the little egg muffin thingies (see the recipe forum), a protein shake (yogurt, protein powder, and SF syrup, or eat a cheese stick and some grape tomatoes.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #8  
keep on

S/C/G: 187/173/130

Height: 5*8

So I Can Have A Protien Shake?
aimeep77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

It depends on the ingredients, but many protein shakes are SBD friendly.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote