Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #104

Here is our new thread.....

Hope you all have a great day and a good weekend coming up.

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #2  
Fun Blonde

Well, ladies, it is a beautiful crisp day here, about 45 degrees out. The sun is shining and we have no ballgames and expect no company. Will be getting my haircut (long overdue), a pedicure, and movie tomorrow. Life is sweet!

I have been watching the horrible fires in California. I think one of the main differences between this catastrophe and the other natural disasters is the economic standards of those affected. Million-dollar homes burned in fire areas. One of my thoughts is: What were they thinking by building there? But I feel for them how devastating it must be to have just everything burned. By the way, does anybody else enjoy hearing the governor pronounce "California"?

Maria, so many people I know have been so sick with colds and allergies around here, including me. I hope while you were with your daughter you did get some of that household organized. And you enjoyed your girls, of course.

Peggy, in OKC this weekend is the big craft show "Affair of the Heart". It is always fun to go to, but just don't want to travel this year. I like seeing the new craft ideas. Some of the things are beautiful and some I just wonder who would really buy that stuff? Everyone has different tastes.

Anne and Karen, are your pool visits getting a bit more sporadic? Seems funny to talk about going to the pool and the Christmas show in the same posting. I just cannot believe Christmas is so soon. I remember my mother saying time is going so fast. I must have just got to that same period in my life.

Canadians, so your dollar is buying more than ours. Seems like my dollar is gone so quickly my head buzzes. It does seem that everyone is so spoiled and now doesn't just want a pair of shoes, but a pair of shoes with a designer label. I work with people who love expensive purses and shoes and houses. Just don't understand that brand of consumerism. Oh well, did you notice the start of a Glenda Rant there? I will stop before it gets going in earnest.

Have a good weekend.
Glenda

Last edited by survivor; 10-26-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:43 AM   #3  

Glenda I can't speak for Ann. But I am still in the pool for exercises 3 days a week as long as it's not raining. The pool water is heated. So we only squeal when we get out. Am going to make me a long robe out of towels just to put on when I get out. Can't seem to find a real terrycloth robe these days.

I spent yesterday afternoon working on the quilt. It is now together to the point that I'm doing the quilting part. I using the machine for this. It is turning out pretty good so far. But worked yesterday until I could no longer see anything but red, blue, green & purple and ABC"S . I have some sweatshirts that I am making into cardigans. That is my next project. I also have some quilted totes to sew up . They have been cut out for ages just waiting for me to do them.

Been up since 4am . I hate not being able to sleep!!!! Finally made the coffee and here I sit.

The family had a baby shower for DIL on Saturday. The had it along with the monthly family BBQ. So all the men outside while the ladies played shower games. DIL had never even been to a shower before so my DD and Other DIL tried to really make it nice. And from what I heard it sounded fun baby got lots of pink. My Mom said they will be in trouble if it turns out to be a boy.

My DD finally had to have her son tested for ADHD . She always new there was a problem but also knew he didn't have a learning disability because he is smart. Just could not focus. She was right. She also had herself tested and she also has a milder form. She tells me now that they are both on medication that is like night and day. She is able to focus on the task at hand instead of flying in 20 different directions all at the same time. I said to my self good . Now maybe she can clean out that closet!!!!!!!!! G-Son is doing better also. He will need some help to get caught up in school but the doctor seems to think in 6 months he should be up to par. The poor kid has a high IQ but just can't focus on anything long enough to learn. Funny how the brain works or in this case doesn't.

Am going to play games now. Hi to everyone Hope you all are getting a good sleep.
Karen

Last edited by Karen L; 10-29-2007 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Karen, I have a grandson with ADHD. They have known since he was a little poop. He was always going in 10 different directions, totally impulsive and very smart. He is now 17 and much better. He has some strategies that he uses when he feels overwhelmed. He has had a terrible time on the medicine. It either put him to sleep or wound him up and he would not eat. So, now he not on anything. But he is doing okay without it now. I hope you get some sleep.

I did write you an email about Brookie. Just heard she is on her way home and is feeling much better. She has had some steroids and they have made a huge difference and her labor pains have quit. Now she just has to lie around until Colton comes. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I hate saying she is "like my granddaughter" because she IS our granddaughter, no two ways about it.

Hope everybody is plodding along. I got a haircut on Saturday that is really pretty different. It is short in the back and really loooooong on the sides to go behind the ears. Looks kind of snazzy, if I do say so myself.
Glenda
Old 10-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #5  
Fun Blonde

Girls, I weighed this morning. I have lost 6 pounds. Took a month, but I am so happy! Now if I could just get 5 more gone, I would be actually a little below that high goal at WW. Just so excited! It sure isn't easy. Just counting everything I eat is the key. It is so easy for me to just leave off 2-3 points a day.

Okay, what do you think about "Dancing with the Stars"? Hello. Is anybody out there?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #6  
Web Nana

Well, Halloween is over and it was a success in our neighborhood. I think because it was still light the kids didn't start going around until nearly 6PM and we had kids coming in bunches....the little ones are so cute. I had some candy that I got just because I don't like it and we used almost all of it. Later we got the big kids and they seem to get bigger each year. If the trick or treaters didn't say anything when I answered the door I would say "MY goodness who do we have here...what are you doing ringing my doorbell. " Then they would say "Trick or Treat" and then I would give them their candy. The 10 to 12 year olds were the worst offenders. They just come up and stick out a hand. Just before 8PM, cut off time, one of the firemen that live down the street drove his pick up very slowly up the street and then down a couple of times. On the back he had a friend doing the Papplebon dance.. They had a boombox playing the music for the dance and a great group of kids were walking behind the truck. It was great fun. (Jon Papplebon was the winning pitcher of the last game of the World Series which the Red Sox won. He is quite a character and does a type of Irish step dance and in the Rolling Rally they had in Boston after the victory he was on a flatbed truck doing the dance with a Kilt over his jeans. He was also on with Dave Letterman last night.)
Other than that that little bit of fun, life has been just rolling on. Took in all the outdoor pots today and the outdoor hoses so they wouldn't freeze.
As for Christmas I have only 4 gifts and none for the grandkids yet. But I do have the 2 birthday gifts for the November and December kids. Still need to think of something for my DD and DIL who also have November and December birthdays.

Christmas....how to go broke in one easy lesson. LOL I still love the Holiday!

Hope all are well and in better shape for Christmas than I am.

By the way! CONGRATULATIONS, GLENDA!!! That is a great loss and if you can do that you do the rest. Think positive.

Gloria
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Congrats Glenda. You will make your goal, I'm sure. I hope that I can say the same one of these days. It sure is a never ending struggle.

Gloria: We don't have trick or treaters, since we live in a gated community out in the country. I rather miss the little ones. I was supposed to work at church last night for the Fall Festival, but since i have this miserable larengytis I stayed home. Went to the Dr. today and he said no talking for a while if I want to get over it. He says there is a virus that can cause larengytis and that antibiotices are no good for it. Only if it goes deeper, and I start coughing up gunk. so he did give me a prescription just in case. Oh joy!!!

Since I got this dumb virus, I haven't been to the pool, Now they are predicting colder weather, and so this may be the end of my pool time for a while.

I was really shocked at the Dancing with the Stars on Tuesday. I never expected that young gal to get voted off. The only thing I thought about was that all her other dances were the fast and spectacular and sexy types and when she did the Foxtrot, she was not as good. Maybe there were others who felt that way too. It is getting harder and harder to eliminate someone. What is your prediction?

I have to write DH notes since with his poor hearing when I whisper, he can't hear me. FRUSTRATION!

Hi everyone. Have a good weekend coming up. And we will gain an hour when we set our clocks back. Ann
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM   #8  

G'day all,

Well done Glendaon your weight loss. Glad everything is OK with Brook, that was a bit scary.

We don't really have Halloween, we hear a little about it and if anyone does anything about Halloween it is put down as 'Americanism'!
Your description of Halloween sounded fun Gloria especially now that I can picture your street.

Ann that must be so frustrating for you, Alan has hearing aids which have been good, I immediately know when he has forgotten to put them in. His hearing loss is mild compared to your dh, we have never had to write notes.

I have been really busy and the I am nowhere near finished with all the jobs I have to do.
Yesterday I did take some time out to do a new website for Saskia and of course I now also have to update Matilda's and Poppy's, hopefully sometime over the weekend.

This afternoon I am off to the dentist....again and I am now getting close to having my teeth implants put in place.
I have to say that this is an excercise that I will NOT ever do again unless it involves my front teeth. I was given a quote of about $8000 to $9000 it has now blown out to $15000 It is a ridiculous amount of money and we receive back little from our private health insurer
The reason of the blow out is that I had to have some bone built up in my jaw.
I will be glad when all the bills are payed and the 3 teeth are in place and I can start to gorget about this very expensive excercise.

Enough of complaints....I must fly and get some things done before I have to go to the dentist.

Hope everyone is well and happy...

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Good morning;

Just wanted to let you all know that for me, it seems that the Vicks on my feet encased in socks to sleep seemed to ward of the coughing last night. I am coughing some now bit did not all night. another 'old wives tale' that seems to work.

My voice is coming back some, a bit squeakie but I am not using it since the Dr. said to rest it unless I wanted it to continue for weeks.

Did you all read the notice that we will be finding our posts in a different place now? Knowing me I will probably get confused at first.

Can you believe that it is this weekend to change the clocks? How time flies when you are having fun.

That is all the news for now. But I am happy about the Vicks.

Ann
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #10  

G'day all,

Well it is that time of the year again and the country will stop to watch the running of the Melbourne Cup this afternoon.
Alan and I were supposed to have gone to Melbourne to spend the day with firiends at the track but with all the expense of my teeth and we also thought Alan would be in New Zealand, we cancelled our booking.
I will be going to a Melbourne Cup luncheon here in Adelaide with some friends. In Melbourne today is a holiday in honour of the Cup but not in Adelaide.
We have had some bad weather but today is a beautiful day, perfect for all the cup festivities.

Not much news from this end of the world, my garden is looking magnificent with all the rain we have had, especially my roses.
Tomorrow we have the girls and I got the Happy Feet DVD, that should fill in a few hours and it will also be warm enough to go for a walk down the beach.

Hope everyone is well and happy,

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #11  
Net browser

Hi Everybody: I had a hard time finding "us", but here you are. My body is no longer producing insulin so I am off the pills and have to inject myself 4 times a day with insulin. My blood sugar levels are still high so obviously the number of units I am injecting are not enough. I see my doctor this afternoon. I had my eyes examined yesterday and they were "normal". I think that's about the only thing left on my body that is. My knee hurts like h***, and I can't take anything other then Tylenol because I am on Plavix for my heart and that is a blood thinner. GRRR, the Advil was working so well. Let's see now, did I complain enough, I think so. On the bright side my little Patches is such a joy, except we are joined at the hip. Where I go, she also MUST go. When I am on the phone she barks. I don't know what she thinks. Maybe she thinks I am talking to her or maybe she just doesn't want me talking if it's not to her. My friend told me to put the phone to her ear which I did and she spoke to Patches. Patches immediately jumped off the sofa and ran to the back door, I guess looking for her. GLENDA.... my friend.,,,,,,,down 6 lbs. I record my blood sugar and weight every morning and for the month of October I stayed exactly the same. During the month I was up and down but the end result was ZIPPO! I started off so well and now I am hoping that I can still get a little weight off before I go on holidays. I have only bought one Christmas gift. I am renting a cottage by a lovely lake for next July for my son and family. They have friends there and visited them and had a great time and it would be a nice change for them. That will be my gift to them. I am not sure what to buy for my grandchildren as the cottage rental of course is for all of them, but they will need something to open. I have given the Princess and her Mom some Euro dollars for their trip to Germany on the 26th of this month for the tap dancing competition that the Princess is in. GD is working very hard in this "Canadian Tap Dancing Team" in addition to her regular dancing lessons and violin lessons. She is sure a busy 12 year old. GSon is no longer able to compete in the archery competions at the local archery range for teenager's because he wins all the time. He is now competing against the men. He would like a new competitor's bow for Christmas. They are quite expensive and Son says he will get the archery bow and maybe I could buy some of the accessories for it. That would solve his Christmas gift for me. MARIA you did such a remarkable job with your GD's photo's. They are such beautiful little girls. ANN I envy you still being able to swim when we are starting to really feel the cold. I will have to buy Patches a little sweater to wear.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #12  
Fun Blonde

Yea, I found us. Thanks, everyone, for the help. That is quite a trip. I usually just click and there we are. What happened?

Slavika, they say old age ain't for sissies and isn't that the truth! Those jokes that were so funny when we weren't doing all those things, like taking all kinds of medicine, aren't so funny anymore. I have a 34-year-old son, Kyle, who is a big man. Last weekend we all tailgated at a ballgame and I noticed he isn't just big, he is about 20 pounds too heavy. He has all the heredity for diabetes and I just wish I could say or do something that would get his attention. I think this is way too sensitive a matter. Don't quite know how to approach it, but you know what a mess diabetes is. He has that in his family and is just a prime candidate for it. Anyway, so glad you have the Patches who is just "screening" your calls.

Can you believe it is just a few weeks till our Thanksgiving? And next month is Christmas!! Yikes! Not only do I not have presents (just a few), but I don't have time or money to get them. I looked at my list. How about 14 immediate family members to buy for. By then we will have that great grandson too.

Well, how about that "Dancing with the Stars." Last night Jane Seymour was voted off. I think that was fair. Everyone from here on out is going to be a surprise. Have no favorites this time.

Be good. Take your medicine. Stay well. Love you all.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #13  

I guess they are changing the site around. Took me a little while to find it. I am tired. Last weekend was my Chicago weekend. We lucked out on our condo. It was beautiful-all glass and overlooked Navy Pier, Michigan and the river. We had a great time and did a lot of looking in the stores. We took an architechural tour on a boat on Sunday before leaving for home. That was so interesting even though it was cold. We went to a dinner play thing at Tommy Gunn's Garage. It was a good time. We did luck out on the weather for this time of the year in Chicago. They are an hour behind us and then the time change gave me a blonde moment or two. LOL This is a busy week at school. We got another Blue Ribbon Award and we are the only school in the nation to receive this 4 times. So this has been blue ribbon week with lots of things happening. Yesterday was free lunch day for the kids and that was over 700 lunches.
Glenda the haircut sounds cute. I gave up on trying the Posh Spice one yesterday. My hair just doesn't do what I want it to. Great weight loss also.
Slavika that is a lot of injecting. You must feel like a pincushion. Patches sounds like your little shadow. You are way too organized - I haven't begun to think of Christmas shopping. And here it is November. Where does the time go?
Maria-your teeth should be gold plated for that amount of money.
Ann-I missed Dancing last night. I heard Jane is gone. She was so elegant but it was her time. I thought for sure that Sabrina would win. I think everyone else did also and just didn't vote for her. Hope you are feeling better.
HI Trudy-what is going on with you?
Karen you sound busy with sewing. I love those sweatshirts that are made into cardigans.
Peggy
Old 11-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #14  

G'day all,

The start of another week for me, you haven't quite started the new week yet

It is going to be a hot day today and today is also the start of my lemon detox diet
I am probably quite crazy but if it gives me a kick start to shift some of this weight that would be great.
The test will be Wednesday when we have the grandchildren

Sorry to read you have to now inject yourself Slavika, what a pain (no pun intended!) Pleased you are so happy that you got Patches, she sounds a little sweetie albeit somewhat spoilt!

Your description of Chicago brought back memories Peggy, we did the same architectural tour. Congratulations on your blue ribbon awards for your school, quite an achievement 4 years in a row.

I will be staying very quite today drinking my lemon detox stuff and doing some more pages of my book.

Hope everyone is well and happy...

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-11-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Maria, How is the lemon detox thing going? Is it nasty tasting? And I hesitate to ask, but what are its effects? You are having warm days and we are just having brisk and nice fall weather. It is really lovely except for the darned leaves. They are just everywhere.

We are having some very slow days at work. It is just awful. I would much rather be busy than slow like this. For instance, this whole week I and another girl are the only ones in the office. Friday is a holiday, the Centennial for the State of Oklahoma. Lots of thing going on, but I bet Leon and I just stay home. My girls, DIL's, Shanna and Gina are wanting to go Christmas shopping on Saturday and that sounds like fun, expensive, but fun.

Hope everyone is doing great. Anybody got a favorite dancer on Dancing with the Stars?
Closed Thread