General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Did the earth move for you Bay Area posters?

I hate the sound the house makes when it starts shaking. I hate that creeking noise. A few years ago, we'd put earthquake putty on some of our stuff. It held. Nothing fell off the shelves.

If you were here in the 89 quake, did you roll longer with this one? We rolled for over a minute. We rolled for about 45 seconds in 89.

Hope everyone is OK.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Oh yeah....the epicenter was on the east side of San Jose, I am on the west side we felt it pretty good, it made my poor little dog a nervous wreck. Not nearly as bad as the 89 quake I was in South Bay then, too.Had to drive home from work right after, that was a nerve wracking drive.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:48 PM   #3  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I don't live in California but I am glad you guys are okay
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/249/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm somewhere around 25 miles from the epicenter. All I can say is whatever you felt you should try it on the second floor. Felt like it went on FOREVER.

The thing is I knew what it was, I was facinated with how long it lasted, but I wasn't worried about stuff falling. It just wasn't that "hard". A co-worker was so scared he put on his robe (I never knew so many adults are in bed by 8 PM!) and left his house.
kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #5  

Lots of rattling and rolling at my house plus one very freaked out kittycat. Wasn't so much of a jolty quake as a longer rolling quake. Was the harshest one I've felt since '89, but this quake I also heard before it hit.. like '89
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #6  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I cannot even imagine what that must feel like.

Glad everyone is safe.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
Lots of rattling and rolling at my house plus one very freaked out kittycat. Wasn't so much of a jolty quake as a longer rolling quake. Was the harshest one I've felt since '89, but this quake I also heard before it hit.. like '89
We could hear the earth rumbling as well. We didn't hear the Loma Prieta quake. Maybe it's because we are closer to the epicenter of this one.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

You definitely heard loma prieta if you were near it. So scary.

I'm too far from ya'll to feel anything now, but MAN did I feel Loma. My dad almost died during that one (he worked at the War Memorial Opera House in SF - a chandelier fell - true story. They had to renovate the whole building after because of all of the cracks).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

My younger daughter was working at the Junior Theater during the Loma Prieta quake. She was up on a ladder hanging safety chains on them. She thought someone was shaking the ladder until she looked down and saw nobody. She quickly got down and headed out of the building. We couldn't get out to go get her. She rode her bike home and told us that we couldn't have gotten to her anyway. The cars were all stopped. Our city lost power for 2 days after that one. We didn't lose any last night.

You'd think that our local stations would have put a crawler across the screen telling us where and how big. It never happened.

I believe that about your dad. There are a lot of stories like that. In 89, there had to be somebody about to go under the knife.