General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #1  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Single People on the Weekend

Hi Pals,
Hope everyone is having a good weekend! I'm kind of bored. I was just wondering what people did on the weekends, or on any day where you don't go to work. Any activities involving spouses, kids or other relatives are not applicable to me as I am just myself. Sometimes I feel like I should be doing something wild and exotic but I can't seem to come up with any ideas. What do you all do for recreation?

thanks,
jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #2  
cute little kitty fangs

S/C/G: 297/280/160

Height: 5'5

hey,

i like to go hiking or go mountain bike riding. hanging out at b&n, or going to a coffeeshop is always good for me.
*nerd alert* i also like to play computer games; go to the planetarium; play with my cat; and volunteer.

if i am really bored, i will drive out to the beach just to feel the sand between my toes (its 3 hours) or go downtown and check out shops down there...
SandStripedcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM   #3  
vanity0326

S/C/G: 257/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Single / Activities on the Weekend

I like to stake out a chair (couch) at B&N and read a book or play Everquest at home. Both activities used to be times where I would sit with a high caloric food item (like brownies at B&N) or snacking all day while on the computer at home.

It has been quite the challenge to settle for lower calorie snacks that I bring with me to B&N and my own water bottle instead of buying a drink there OR
snacking smartly while at home.

Baby steps. Baby steps.
vanity0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

spinymouse..i'm no longer single..but when i was...i would love going to downtown areas (even small little towns have them) wandering around. I would head down to the beach....take a 2 hr drive to a new town and look. Also, you should look around for a singles activity in your area. Many places havea meet and greet sort of thing...so you can get out and not necessarily be by yourself.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Take a book to a tea house or coffee shop, get a wonderful mug of tea (in real ceramic if they have it) and relax.

I also like more active pursuits that don't require more than one person. Hiking, biking, etc, yes, but also rollerskating at a skating rink, renting a canoe and going for a paddle at a nearby lake, etc. So much fun, plus you might find a new hobby (I LOVE canoeing in the spring...so nice to get out on the water, and what a great arm workout!)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

JO you didn't say if you wanted any company during the activity. I would suggest if you do that many churches have singles groups where they go to activities together ~ possibly a beginner bowling league ~ my ex-wife got in a quilting club for awhile to learn that ~ she joined the Sons of Norway which keeps her (and us) busy!

If you want to be by yourself about all I can think of is movies...hiking (not too safe alone!) ~

I hope you find the Right thing for you!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 AM   #7  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

A tea house! I am not sure we have those around here! It does sound better than coffee though. Ususally I go to bars. (not late and not when they are noisy but early, when they are quiet.) I need an alternative!
Hiking and mountain biking - whoa, I don't think I'm up to those yet. But good suggestions, thanks! Gary, I am not sure either whether I mean something to do alone or with others. I guess it depends on who the others are. I've gotten pickier and pickier. Speaking of picky, I also don't like movies. I know, I know, I'm a challenge.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #8  
hara hachi bu

On the weekends I don't have my son, I do projects around the house - crafts, cleaning, mending, etc. I seek out free admission to art and history museums, and free (preferably outdoor) concerts. I go to the library. I take mini road trips, either for a day or for the weekend. A word about hiking - it doesn't have to be strenuous - mine is more like meandering on paths. LOL. I'm a member of a YMCA so sometimes I take a class on weekends. I'm a thrift-store junkie, so I often shop those on weekends.

I also try to catch up with people I don't talk to a lot. I have former coworkers and neighbors, cousins, etc that I meet for exercise classes, lunch, or shopping.

Great thread!

Last edited by phantastica; 10-30-2007 at 09:53 AM.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #9  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

I typically work on the weekends (school during the week), but when I'm not working, I usually do one of the following:
Go for a walk around town or a park
Hike
Watch a movie
Wander around Walmart
Take pictures somewhere
Go geocaching
Swim (when it's warm)
Bike
Play video games
Read a book
Work on some artistic thing (paint, draw, scrapbook, etc)
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote