Old 10-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #42

Good Morning! I need to make a WM and grocery store run as soon as the oven is done cleaning. It gets so hot I hate to leave it going when I'm not home. Bob went to help Jason finish his chimney project so I'm home alone for the better part of the day at least. Amanda's dad is in a Sioux City hospital with bleeding in/on the brain. The doctors are not sure from what or why; he had complained of neck pain for a few days and then the pain moved down into his shoulders and arms. They were going to send him to Mayo but his condition deteriorated during the night so they took him to surgery this morning. Scary!

I need to keep moving! Have a wonderful day -- the sun is shining here and it is a beautiful fall day in my corner of the world.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is gloomy, cold, and windy in my neighborhood today. There is no rain yet so that is the good news! Bob's group sang at both church services, and now he is out farming. I have my fingers crossed that the rain holds off. It could be a very late night which worries me a bit. In their younger years it would be 2 or 3 in the morning. They both admit they are getting too old to go that late, but when the weather is involved they might fill up on caffeine and keep going tonight. At least they are hauling to bins on the farm and are not out on the highway. I'm filling Good Will boxes and finishing the laundry. I really need to iron, but maybe not today.

"Gma" -- I went back and reread some of the old posts thinking maybe this was the time you would be in Indiana. Hope all is ok with you and Jack.

I'm off to the basement to work on my GW boxes! Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow! Remember to !

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a chilly day in my neighborhood, but the sun was shining so I won't complain. The weatherman has taken the rain out of the forecast for the week so the farmers are busy and happy about that. Bob is gone again tonight -- he worked in his office this morning, farmed this afternoon, had a board meeting at 5, came home to change clothes and headed out to the farm again. We have a crazy schedule this week at school. Today was a full day, 11:30 dissmissal tomorrow for conferences, full day on Wed., 11:30 dismissal on Thur., and no school on Friday. I'm looking forward to Friday and a long weekend.

Hope all is well with all of you.

I'm waiting for a phone call from Amanda's mom. I called her cell about 4:30 and she asked if she could call me right back and hasn't. I am a bit concerned as Denny still had a headache yesterday and the doctors can't figure out why.

Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow! Do something nice for someone else and remember to !

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! I just returned from the Hallmark shop -- they are having a storewide sale of 25% off everything except cards and giftwrap. They have lots of Christmas stuff out and I couldn't even get in the mood to reallly look. Christmas can't be that close can it? I went in after a card and came out with a card! Bob is farming again so I am home alone.

Bob just came home and headed for the shower. They either had a machinery break down or finished one farm and have to move machinery to the other farm which is still too wet.

Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #5  

Jean, sorry to have abandoned you. I've been sick for over a week with a really severe asthma flare. Missed a week of work. I haven't had such a bad time in 9 or 10 years. Thank God for Stan's aide. She came extra and took him and brought him home from dialysis. Just now getting back on my feet so more later.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was another beautiful day in my corner of the world. Bob and I ate supper around 8:00 last night and I paid for it during the night. I felt like it was "stuck" in the middle and wouldn't go up or down. I felt better sitting up but was afraid I would oversleep so went back to bed. I finally fell asleep in time for the alarm to go off. My stomach has been "grumbly/rumbly" all day; now I have my comfy jeans (unzipped) and sweatshirt on. I know I should eat something, but nothing sounds good. Maybe I have a touch of flu although no other symptoms.

Susan -- I'm so sorry to hear that you have been sick. I hope you are feeling better each day. It was good that Stan's aide was there to help you. Take care of yourself!

Guess I will go catch the news and see what is going on around the world. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow.

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 10-29-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #7  

Hello, ladies! A bit nippy this morning - 45 degrees! Finally gave in and turned the heat on yesterday. I hate to think about those high heating bills.

Yesterday was a very long day - I have a huge backlog after being off a week.

Have to take Stan to the doctor today - follow up to the graft removal.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Our sunshine has disappeared and the clouds have rolled in. It isn't supposed to rain so I don't know what's up with the weather. It is 60+ degrees outside so is nice.

Susan -- Our furnace has been running off and on for a few weeks now. They finally did get the boiler fired up at school. The custodian was telling me that there may be some problems down the road and "no heat, no school." I'm not sure what would be involved in replacing the heating system but it is 45 years old! I hope Stan's appt. went ok and you will get caught up at work. Being gone only makes the others appreciate you more!

I see the mailman just arrived so guess I will go see what came today. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow. The days are flying by and it will soon be Christmas once again. GASP!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! Cooler weather has set in now for sure. Brought all my plants in so now the sun room looks like a jungle has taken root. We do still have roses blooming and the leaves have barely started to change.

Guess we turn the clocks back this weekend. I hate having to reset all the "gadgets".

We had 20 children show up for trick or treat. I gave out mini bags of pretzels and rolls of Lifesavers. One little boy, about 6, wanted to trade some of his candy for more pretzels! Of course, I just gave him a bunch.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful day in my corner of the world. The trees are really dropping leaves this week and the leaves are so pretty this year.

Susan -- So far we haven't had a hard frost so my plants are still blooming. I'm thinking we will probably pull them this weekend. I have 5 heavy glass pots out in front so Bob has to do those. The Trick or Treater who wanted more pretzels was a smart kid! Years ago we had a neighbor who made frosted sugar cookies and put them in baggies. She included her name, address, and phone # also. She was an excellent cook/baker and the kids would flock to her house. I'm not looking forward to setting the clocks back -- it is already dark when I leave for school in the morning.

"Gma" -- We miss you!

Have a fantastic Friday! We have a "meet the new principal" coffee after school tomorrow. He will pick up the 2 days that the other one is not there. No executive decisions or projects -- he is just going to sit in on classes and "help." Not bad for $40,000!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am heading to bed shortly but wanted to check in here first. It's been a long week -- maybe because we had a full week of classes for a change. Tomorrow I work in the hospital gift shop and Sunday we serve coffee at church. I'd like to go up to the lake and bring home a little battery powered broom sweeper thing so it doesn't sit all winter in the cold. I'd also like to stop at Penneys and see if I can find some clothes for Ian's birthday in a couple weeks. Time is flying!

Hope you have a relaxing weekend. I need to clean and pick up the clutter once again or yet still whichever.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-03-2007, 05:58 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies. Just a quick post to let you know I got to come home yesterday. Recuperation is slow, but at least I am in my own home.

The baby is so big and gorgeous. He laughs all the time. It has been nice having the kids here for a couple days. They go back home tomorrow.

I will check in again tomorrow.

You all sound like everything is ok in your world.

Jean: Thanks for the cute card it made my boring hospital day a little sunnier!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is a cold, cloudy day in my neighborhood. It's also "raining" leaves from the trees that still have their leaves. We have a lot left to fall! Some years they don't all completely fall off until spring. I spent the morning in the gift shop reading magazines. We have to have the office make a copy of our sales sheet to turn in with the money at the end of the shift. While I was having that done, 5 minutes before the official closing time, a hospital employee came in to shop. She was my one and only paying customer for the day so guess the extra 15 minutes was worth it. As soon as she left I turned the lights off and finished my paperwork so I could leave. We have to scan the time clock so they can keep track of the volunteer hours, and another lady poked her head in the open door while I was doing that. Dumb me, I should have shut the door! She didn't want anything, or so she said, so I locked up and left. I have laundry going and need to balance checkbooks before I do anything else today. Then I have to go pick up my donut holes for church coffee tomorrow.

"Gma" -- It is so good to know that you are home again! I'll bet your fur children were happy to see you! It's nice that Jay and family could spend some time with you. I know how much you enjoyed seeing the baby. Take it easy and don't overdo!

Hope you are enjoying a relaxing day doing something you enjoy.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #14  
Web Nana

Gosh, I missed a whole lot of goings on by not checking in.

FAYE: You just got out of the hospital? What happened and I guess the fact that you are home means you are better. Good that is the case! I guess you didn't get to visit your son so it was great that they came down to see you and you were able to visit with the baby. Keep on getting better.

SUSAN: You, too, were under the weather but I am happy that you are feelilng better. Hope you and Stan will have an uneventful Winter, healthwise!

JEAN: We have not had a hard frost but have had some 'frosty' type nights so we pulled in all those potted plants. Had to make room by the windows in the spare room for the table I set up to 'Winter' them. It makes for a very tight room.

Well, Halloween is over and it was a success in our neighborhood. I think because it was still light the kids didn't start going around until nearly 6PM and we had kids coming in bunches....the little ones are so cute. I had some candy that I got just because I don't like it and we used almost all of it. Later we got the big kids and they seem to get bigger each year. If the trick or treaters didn't say anything when I answered the door I would say "MY goodness who do we have here...what are you doing ringing my doorbell. " Then they would say "Trick or Treat" and then I would give them their candy. The 10 to 12 year olds were the worst offenders. They just come up and stick out a hand. Just before 8PM, cut off time, one of the firemen that live down the street drove his pick up very slowly up the street and then down a couple of times. On the back he had a friend doing the Papplebon dance.. They had a boombox playing the music for the dance and a great group of kids were walking behind the truck. It was great fun. (Jon Papplebon was the winning pitcher of the last game of the World Series which the Red Sox won. He is quite a character and does a type of Irish step dance and in the Rolling Rally they had in Boston after the victory he was on a flatbed truck doing the dance with a Kilt over his jeans. He was also on with Dave Letterman the other night.)

We had a 'Noreaster yesterday with rain and high winds but today is just cool and sunny...we may go out for a ride this afternoon...stayed in all day Saturday.

Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers! It was a strange day for weather in my corner of the world. It was sunny when we left for church, cloudy when we got out, sunny on our way to the lake, cloudy when we stopped to eat, and sunny on our way home again. The wind has come up tonight so I don't know if we'll get some rain or not. We had an extra long church service today. Our new minister is big on congregation participation and we have responsive readings/singing all through the service now. Today the service was in honor of those members who died during the past year and family members were invited to light candles as the names were read. The choir director rang a bell as each name was read. There were 37 I think. Then we had communion with just one basket of bread cubes and one cup which took longer than usual. We finally left before the last hymn and went to get the coffee and donuts set up. We finally finished up a few minutes before second service started.

Gloria -- What a nice surprise to see your post tonight! We didn't have the "big" trick or treaters like we have had in other years. There was just one kid who was tall but the kids he was with were middle school size so I am assuming he was their age and just taller. He had a pillowcase to put his treats in! It sounds like your neighborhood had a great time!

I am heading off to bed. I didn't think the time change bothered me, but this has been the longest day. Must be my age!

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!