General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

Question Vanity Sizing

Hey Gals,
I'm just wondering what you think about vanity sizing. You know how Old Navy and other large retailers will label a large size with a small tag so that we think we are smaller than we actually are? Do you think it's wrong or do you think it's ok? I think I'd rather have a standardized sizing system in women's clothing and know my actual size than think I am smaller than I am.
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The truth of the matter is vanity sizing sells. Manufacturers know that if a woman has a choice between a size 6 pair of pants and a size 4, she will be more likely to choose the size 4 pair of pants because of the smaller size.

Vanity sizing sucks but I can say I was thrilled when I was able to wear sizes below 20. I have some size 14s that I can wear but then I have other size 14s and 16s that I can't. It'd be nice if it was consistent.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #3  

I know it is exciting to fit into a smaller size but it also makes it easier to be in denial about gaining weight. My other problem with clothes is the stretch factor. I just bought new pants that fit perfect but now that i've been wearing them a couple hours they're kinda too big. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlabulessPhyllis View Post
I'd rather have a standardized sizing system in women's clothing and know my actual size than think I am smaller than I am.
Testify! It's such a to have to keep re-measuring yourself and checking every different catalog's size chart, if a Woman Within XL = a Lane Bryant XL (I got a catalog yesterday from Lane Bryant, which I presume is the store) = a Junonia XL = a whoever XL it would save so much hassle
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Ha! Vanity sizing doesn't even make me feel thin. To my knowledge, the following stores are all, to an extent, vanity sized: Old Navy, A&F, The Gap (sometimes), and oh! I heard that Torrid has a new sizing system. Instead of starting at 12, they're now starting at 2, according to a friend of mine.

HOWEVER, some retailers just have TINY sizes, and those make me really sad, because I think, "What if this is the way the sizing system is really supposed to be? What if I'm really not as small as I think I am?" Dang, I really AM still fat!

I think vanity sizing is dumb and agree that a universal sizing system would work much better.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #6  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

I wear size 10 Old Navy jeans, and I also have some juniors jeans that are size 9 and can wear those. My dress size is an 8/10.

I have a vintage Fred Perry tennis dress that I tried on last night and it fit. The size? A 14! My point? It is not just some stores that do this. Vanity sizing has happened everywhere over time as well.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #7  

That's very true kitten. you know how they say well Marilyn Monroe was a size 12? well that's equivalent to a size 6 now but people always leave that part out. Which is fine. It doesn't matter what size you are but it sure would be easier to shop if I didn't have to get a shirt in every size and try it on to see if it will fit.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

It is frustrating. Sometimes I don't have time to try on the clothes. I get them home and they are tents on me! Then I have to return them.

Another thought on this. When I was in my teens, I wore a size 6. Then I noticed that 6s were getting smaller. My measurements and weight were the same. Those were the days of Twiggy. (Remember her?) I'm wondering if they are using some of those original sizes from back then.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It pisses me off to no end. I have no idea what size I am anywhere, and I cant catalog shop.

I still must be shaped weird though because I am a 2-4 in almost every store EXCEPT Old Navy where I am a 6. How does that figure when they are supposed to run big? Although their jeans dont really fit me well, so it might just be the cut.

The worst part about vanity sizing is they are doing away with the actual small sizes. VERY few stores have below a 4 or a 2 unless you shop juniors. I am too old to shop juniors and I am nowhere near "skinny" so what to wear? I wear pants that I have to wash every wear to shrink them back

Last edited by ennay; 10-26-2007 at 02:23 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 PM   #10  

Yeah, Phyllis, I've heard that "back in the day" sizes were 4-6 sizes smaller than today's! My mom always says, "I was a 10-12 back then! Every now and then, I could squeeze into an 8!" An 8 back then is a like a 4/vanity sized 2 now, so I'm happy when I can "squeeze" into that, as well! Judging from pictures, my mom and I were the same size (roughly), so I'm actually sort of glad that the sizing system isn't quite the way it was back then.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

In vanity sized clothes, I am a 6. At Chico's (they have their own sizing scheme), I am a .5 (yes, POINT 5!). At sporting goods stores, where they don't do vanity sizing, I am a 10.

Years ago when I lost and weighed about 15 pounds less than I am now, I was a size 8, so I am certain that the sporting goods stores do not do vanity sizing.

I agree with nelie--it does sell. I was so excited to get into a 6! If I lose these last 10 pounds, I might even fit into a 4. I would probably buy a 4 if I could just because I'm VAIN! LOL
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I always wished I had kept my skinny jeans from the 2.3 seconds in college that I wore a 4 just to compare. I did find an old weight loss journal and I had a smaller waist and smaller thighs than I do now and I could BARELY squeeze into those jeans. We are talking jumping up and down to pull them up, then laying on the bed and exhaling to zip (gotta love the 80's!) and then praying nothing would require me to sit down for a couple hours. Taper leg too, I needed help to get back out of them. So I was smaller then and now a 4 is baggy.

OF course then I wasnt a petite either, I wore regular length, now even petites are long on me.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I think it only serves to help keep people in denial...outwardly. Inwardly, they still know they need to lose weight. So...it's a wash. I don't think it matters one way or another what size the clothes are in the end. It may tend to make people feel better for a short-term though. But ultimately, they're still going to look in the mirror and know the truth.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #14  

2-4? *Wolf whistle* Ennay, you must be tiny!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #15  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Our sizes in Canada have gotten smaller (on the tag) or bigger (in the fabric) -- whichever way you want to look at it. It still drives me nuts though to try to relate to US sizes which are smaller again. And you are also right that sizes vary store by store as well.

I just go by my measurements as much as possible since most stores will tell you what measurement their size "x" will fit.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote