Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs down Thanksgiving - Do You Stay On Plan?

Turkey, Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce, Mashed Potatoes, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkin Pie....Do you stay on plan...or...do you throw all caution to the wind and indulge???
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I think there are LOTS of On Plan things to have on Thanksgiving: Turkey, Ham (we do a ham, too), veggies galore! With my mental switch turned on to Atkins and Low Carb being a way of life for me, I can't really give in to the junk. Not anymore.

I think my only temptation would be pumpkin pie (I ADORE pumpkin pie...) and the mint-chocolate chip icecream pie my mom makes. I think I can survive those temptaions, though. Plus, this is going to be the first Thanksgiving that my sister AND my brother are going to be away...so I'm not even sure we're going to do our own thanksgiving yet. If we go to a relative's house, it'll be THAT much easier to stay on plan

If it gets closer to Thanksgiving and I feel like dessert is going to be a HUGE temptation, I'll bring some DARK chocolate with me or find an Atkins-Friendly LC dessert to make for myself I'll be in OWL at that point, but I still plan on sticking to it for the Holidays.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #3  
oakgiraffes

S/C/G: 250/181/140

Height: 5'5"

Jerseygyrl,

I indulge for Thanksgiving day only. But while the turkey is cooking, I take a seven mile walk.

Annie
oakgiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

It looks like you have lost a significant amount of weight. I can't believe that you ate like we all used to eat on Thanksgiving last year and kept your weight program going.

Again, I am not dieting short term. I am making a life time change in how I eat, how I relate to food and what it means to me. I am a recovering compulsive overeater. I have spent 12 years practicing the 12 Steps.

I will be making the traditional Thanksgiving meal for my husband and I. Funny thing is all he cares about is the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. The rest he doesn't care for! In years past, I made all of those side dishes for me alone and I was still eating leftovers a week later.

What I plan on doing this year is making a sweet potatoe casserole but it will only have 4 normal size portions to it. I plan on having plain green beans without all the fried onions and mushroom soup. I have a delicious low calorie cranberry-orange relish that my mother-in-law makes that is far better than that lump of jellied stuff.

I will NOT be having pumpkin pie and I want you to know I LOVE pumpkin pie BUT not this year and maybe never!! "Slippery slopes...." Instead, I have found a delicious low fat frozen yogurt, butter pecan, which when I added some cinnamon and some low fat caramel sauce on it, it will be just as delicious without all of the fat and calories.

Thanksgiving is also about a time to reflect and give thanks for what we do have---including the weight lose we have had. I plan to do a lot of that too.

Good luck and God bless
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #5  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Never fear Ladies, you can have your pumpkin pie and eat it too!

I have made this pumpkin recipe and it is absolutely deliscious!!! It will be a staple for me everything Thanksgiving!

Here tis':

JODY'S PUMPKIN BAKE
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 eggs
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
15 ounce can pumpkin
1/2 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Put the cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into a 6x8" greased glass baking dish. Bake at 350º about 40 minutes or until the center feels firm and a knife inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool, then chill before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings

With granular Splenda:
Per 1/4 Recipe: 342 Calories; 27g Fat; 14g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 228 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per 1/4 Recipe: 330 Calories; 27g Fat; 14g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 220 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

You can even double the recipe and bake it in a 13x9 pan bake approx, 45 min or until a knife comes out clean

Last edited by FitinTime; 10-23-2007 at 08:07 PM.
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #6  
Mrs. Determined

Hi Kim!
How are you, did you get my email!!!
I hope your gonna have a good weekend, this time!

I just had to post that recipe, if it's good enough for LindaSue, it's good enough for me, LOL!

As for me, I'm eating turkey, all the way! I'm also going to take to my mil's house as LindaSue's "diner potatoes", that is really good, or the faux potatoe salad! I'm making that Jody's Pumpkin bake for sure and whatever else I can find on her website. My whole family want the bake instead of the real thing! I'm serious!!! That's how good it is. Then I whip up my own whipped cream too!

I'm all set. Just eating the turkey alone will keep me satisfied! I may... may have my moms stuffing, it's the best one I have ever tasted, so I'll see!
But other than that, we all have what we need to eat. I've gotten so many recipes from Linda's website and you cannot go wrong with them!

So there's my Thanksgiving! NO need to get off plan, to me anyway!!

Love ya!!!
Diana
Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #7  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I've got a few LC Thanksgivings under my belt and don't see myself NEEDING to be OffP whatsoever.

Higher carb intake will be my only indulgence.

I LOVE the cauli-mash with gravy as a potato alternate.

Back when Atkins was the craze - I had a GF who made the yummiest LC pumpkin dessert that had a nut crust - just faboo . . . but Jody-Pumpkin here looks ez-ier so may go that route fittie?

I just skipped the cranberry in past years - which I love - feel like sharing the orange-cranberry link pam?

As for low-fat anything . . . BLEEEEEEECCCCH! I'll be yumming me some real butter on my egg bread & veggies . . . and getting that Turkey-Melatonin HIGH!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #8  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Oh my, that pumpkin bake sounds yum! I don't know if I'm doing TG this year. If so, I'll be cooking it, and can do anything I want. If not, I'll still splurge and cook myself a cornish game hen, my favorite green beans with almonds and sesame seeds and a smidge of sesame oil, that pumpkin bake with whipped cream, and a big mixed green or spinach salad with bacon bits and ricotta cheese and italian dressing. Not exactly terrible deprivation, huh? I will probably go over on carbs, but won't go over 40 for the day. I'm back to writing down everything I eat. It helps.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #9  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I made the pumpkin bake and it is seriously delicious--like a crustless pumpkin pie
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #10  
Going to ONEderland

I'm not on plan at the moment, so "staying" on plan isn't really an issue. But I have noticed that my mother in law cooks foods that are almost ALL carbs for Thanksgiving dinner. Last year I was on plan and I stuck to low carb, and I noticed that I felt WAY better at the end of the meal than everyone else did. All those carbs shoveled in together make me feel sick. We have to travel really windy roads to get to her house and I tend to get a little car sick on windy roads, so I wasn't looking forward at all to the trip home.

Turns out I wasn't the one who got sick on the trip home it was my daughter who is pretty tiny but wound up eating everything she wanted. This year I'm going to my mother's house that weekend and I'll cook whatever we eat. I'm sure it will be much healthier. I just can't handle carb fests like she provides any more. I mean a little is good, but nothing BUT high carb food? It just doesn't work at all. I wind up feeling bloated and overstuffed and very uncomfortable.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 AM   #11  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

I am going to try and fill up on Turkey and veggies. There's going to be a lot more veggies than past Turkey Day's, but I am not going to deprive myself from the mashed taters, stuffing, or a piece of pie either. It's Thanksgiving! It is only 1 day!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #12  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I plan to stay away from anything with sugar added, no breads or potatoes....other than that I should be good.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I plan to eat plenty of turkey, ham, salad, deviled eggs and green beans. I will allow myself a single helping of my favorite high carb food (the brocolli/rice casserole). I will skip the potatoes , gravy and stuffing and bread. I will allow myself one piece of lemon pie. My plan is also to do my cardio workout before we leave to MIL's for the Thanksgiving feast. Getting my exercise in especially helps me to make better choices with the food.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #14  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

This will be my 3rd Thanksgiving on Atkins. IF I were the one preparing the holiday meal...it would most definitely be low carb Unfortunately, I do not have that priviledge and must go to family for dinner. To keep the peace, bringing my own lc dinner is out of the question...so...I will be enjoying turkey with no gravy and canned green beans. Maybe I should prepare a lc Thanksgiving feast at home & eat before I go
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #15  
Mrs. Determined

Hi Kim!
What! Your third Thanksgiving, I didn't know it had been that long. Well I don't think I ever noticed the date you started.
And you have maintained that long! That is terrific, you Go!

This year, my mil is going on a trip and wont' be back unti 3 days before Thanksgiving, so I am getting the turkey and I told her I'm bringing lc food with me. I need to find the lowest in carbs because I still have to eat at my mom and dads house!

For sure I am bringing that pumpkin bake, and maybe some roasted vegetables. My DH wants me to make the green casserole. Yikes!

Oh well!
Diana

I'm sure it will be fun!

Diana