Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 05:33 PM   #1  

Default 9-10 weeks to a 5K!! Week 1

Guys, I figured I would post this here in case anyone wants to join in. I will post the plan for the week. If you want to join, just post your results below.

Taken from http://running.about.com/cs/forbeginners

Preparation:

1. Commit: Pick a 5K or 5 mile about 9 to 10 weeks from now - REGISTER! - Don't let negative nellies talk you out of it - maybe bet them on it or ask them to join.

2. Are You ready?: Clear plan with DR.

3. Purchase running gear: Good shoes are important - you may also want a good watch.

4. Map out running courses of 1 mile, 2 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles, 5 miles and 6 miles. Avoid heavy traffic.

5. Go easy at first - first 3 weeks critical. You will feel soreness and fatigue - DO NOT GIVE UP - this will go away! Take it easy so you don't experience too much discomfort and give up - THIS IS A JOURNEY NOT A RACE!

WEEK 1

GOAL: Jog 1 mile without stopping.

Remember to: Warm up adequately, jog at a pace that allows comfortable conversation. When you are too tired, walk until you are ready to run again. Just walking at first is fine - BABY STEPS! Also, after the run, warm down.

Each outing: Try to run a little farther nonstop.

Don't panic: IF you miss a workout. Just try to make up for it on one of your free days.

DAY 1: Walk/Jog 1 mile
DAY 2: Walk/Jog 1 mile (you may be a bit sore today 0 - take your time)
DAY 3: Walk/Jog 1 mile
Day 4: REST! YOU EARNED IT!
Day 4: Jog 1 mile - Can ya? If not, do the best you can without causing excess discomfort.
Day 6: Jog 1 mile - Can ya? If not, do the best you can without causing excess discomfort.
Day 7: REST! WELL DONE!

Keep repeating this week until you can jog 1 mile relatively comfortably. Then move on to week 2.

Week 2: We will improve our 1 mile pace and complete our first 2 mile.

I hope it is ok that I lifted this from that web site. You should really go check it out. It has lots more stuff and great links!
Old 04-17-2002, 05:36 PM   #2  

Bailey's Day 1: 4/16/02

- well, I mapped the mile and went out with the dog. We did it in 13 minutes (1 shoe tying break, 3 breaks to water the lilly's and one to fertilize the local park). I can run about 4 or 5 minutes and then need to walk for a bit to catch my breath. I am hoping to be ready to move on to week 2 at the end of the week. The dog is another story, so from now on, I will be jog/walking the course alone, then repeating it at a slower pace until the dog is in better shape. Poor pooch! Will also have to check in with his vet.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:48 PM   #3  

Bailey's prep:

Well, I found a 5k in my town which is in 6.5 weeks. I found another which is in 10 weeks but will be harder to get to. Will register for 1 of the two in the next month.

I have a dr's appointment on April 23, so will clear the plan with him then. Hopefully, I won't do any permanent damage in this first week - will take it slow! I also need to take the dog to the vet and get a plan cleared for him as I would like a running buddy.

I have everything I need for now. May purchase a stop-watch. When the race gets closer, will buy better running shoes. Will try to save cigarett $ towards these.

I found a nice 1 mile. Need to get the others mapped out. Work is about 3.5. May use this sometimes, but would not be able to take the dog.

I WILL TAKE THIS SLOW SO I DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED AND QUIT!
Old 04-17-2002, 07:24 PM   #4  

Bailey & Rufus Day 2: 4/17/02

I made it another mile - not even sore from yesterday! I did it in 13 minutes (had to wait for a light for about 2 minutes though so more like 11 or 12). I really need to stop smoking Ran exactly half the time, but had to go through about 6 walk/run cycles. That does not add up to any runs that last very long! Oh, well, onward and upward.

I thought the dog would run away and hide when he saw me getting my running stuff out. Yesterday, he was panting so hard and leaking gallons of drool for about a half hour after our 13 minute walk/run. He was raring to go again today though. He got all excited and ran to his leash. I told him I would be right back and did my first mile. Then I got him and we walked/ran a mile with less running (only about 1/4 of the time). He only panted for about 6 minutes after we finished and seemed to have a lot of fun. Need to go to the vet though. He keeps licking his leg. He is a large dog and they often have bone problems - one of the primary reasons for their short life expectancy (this makes me cry just thinking about it). Hope it is nothing serious! Won't do any more running with him , just fast walking, until I can get to the vet!
Old 04-18-2002, 09:27 AM   #5  

Okay Bailey, you have me motivated too. I haven't focused on my jogging since I did that KSC 5K (3.1 miles) race four months ago. Last week I was finally able to really begin pushing myself on the treadmill since skiing and the knee problem. So I'm with you on this!!! Since I have a pretty good history and a close relationship with the treadmill I'm going to start with Week 3. My goal is to run at least three 5K's this year and beat my previous time of 33:28. This December I want to run the KSC 10K race.

Since I already exercised today, tomorrow I'll jog two miles at my own pace and see if I can do it.

When I did the previous race I had a friend who encouraged me the whole way. She's itty bitty and can run 5 miles without even breaking a sweat. She slowed her pace, stayed with me, and talked with me the whole time (I was barely able to speak ). DH ran the race too but of course I'm too slow so he finished ahead of me and was standing at the finish line cheering me in. I almost started crying. I never in a million years thought I could accomplish that.

Last edited by lizzard_h; 04-18-2002 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:53 PM   #6  

Yeay Lizzard!!! I am so glad you are joining me! Hope people aren't annoyed that I am starting so many random threads! Starting with week 3 sounds like a good plan. You can definately better your old time (not that the time was not good - it was great! - you just rock ) AND conquer that 10K. Got choked up reading about your first race success. I sure hope I get there!

Unfortunately, looks like I might need to quit smoking

Bailey and Rufus Day 3: 4/18/02

Now, I really don't want to be making excuses already...BUT - I was a little sore today (not too bad) AND - I am pretty pressed for time. ALSO - I wanted to make sure I got the dog's workout in, as I really want him as a running buddy if the vet ok's it. PLUS - tomorrow is a rest day for me. SO....

Dog and I did about 1/2 to 3/4 miles, some running some walking, some sniffing stuff in the park. Took us 10 minutes.

Tomorrow, I will do a mile by myself and see if I can run more than walk, then take the dog out for a mile of "little run, lotta walk, plus sniffing and all that other good stuff.

I don't see myself comfortably running a mile by the end of the week and that is FINE! I will repeat week 1 happily until I can do it. I really want to be consistent with this but take it slow so I don't get burned out and quit.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:00 AM   #7  

Great job Bailey!! Yep, be careful and set your own pace cuz if you don't you will strain something.

Well, I hit the treadmill this morning and jogged two miles in 24 minutes and walked two miles in 30 minutes. It felt good but it wasn't easy. After my first mile I was thinking I wasn't going to be able to make it but I stayed focused and did it. The last 1/2 mile jogging was really tough. I swear my body just wasn't made for running. During the walking part I felt much better. I have to be really careful otherwise I have a problem with pain in my lower legs just above my ankle but it's not shin splints.

I printed out the week 3 schedule and taped in to the mirror in my bathroom. I guess Sunday morning I'll be hitting the road. I've still gotta map out two miles thru the neighborhood.

Thanks for inspiring me!!
Old 04-19-2002, 08:55 PM   #8  

Well done LIZ!!

I was so tired after no sleep last night I wasn't sure I had it in me, but I went out without the mutt and did 1 mile in 12:08.67(sweet bf gave me his timex he keeps in his pocket that had no band and I put it on one of my bands ). Was actually able to run a little more this time, despite tiredness. I don't know if my overall time was faster or not, as my old times were with the most pathetic excuse for a watch (very rough estimates). But, I have probably been around 12 to 14 all three times. I suppose as I can run more and walk less, this will have to improve Although I doubt I will be running the whole mile by the end of the week, my "minigoal" is to break the 12 minute mark either tomorrow or sunday.

After, I came inside, had a bit of H2O (not too much, just a little, lied down for 1 minute (yup, timed it) and walked around for 1 minute (ditto). Then, I leashed up the beast and hit the pavement again. We did a little running (only when he started it!) some walking and good old fashioned sniff/pee stints. Also stopped to talk to some admireres (he is very unique looking). According to yahoo maps (I know, I should clock it with the car, I think I might even get a pedometer) we went .6 miles in 12:16:10. Not too bad. The dog took 4 1/2 minutes to stop panting hard (which he often does just because he is hot) and 8 3/4 minutes to stop panting all together. Getting better!

Since I am counting yesterday as my day off, I will be doing my best to run as much of the mile as I can the next two days. We are going to cape cod and my sister is bringing her two dogs, so between playing on the beach and playing with his cousins - I think the dog will get those two days off!
Old 04-21-2002, 10:24 PM   #9  

Bailey and Rufus Rest of Week 0: Getting a bit easier but not too much. Still have to walk a lot. Did a mile on sat with the dog in 12:15. Dog did fine. Will start week 1 over (which is FINE) today and do it until I make the goal of 1 mile without stopping to walk.

Bailey Week 1
Day 1: 04/21/02
Gave dog day off. Found new route where I don't have to cross street. Made 1 mile in 10:46:26 with still about 1/2 walking. Plan: limit cigarettes to 15 per day (an improvement for me) and try to get to where I can do 1 mile jog without stopping in under 10 by end of week.

Day 2: 04/22/02 (Goal in under 10:30)
Old 04-22-2002, 08:00 AM   #10  

Bailey, I'm impressed!! Your 1/2 walk, 1/2 jog miles are faster than my nonstop jog mile!!!!! I did manage to cut a minute off today and completed two miles in 23 minutes. My goal tomorrow is to do the 15 minute non-stop at a 10-min mile pace.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:39 PM   #11  

Wow Liz, you are doing great! I seem to have plenty of "sit on your a$$ and do nothing muscles, as well as a handful of "run for the hills, the pirates are coming" muscles. Unfortunatley, I don't appear to have any "lets go jog at a leisurly pace and be good to ourselves muscles". Oh well....

Bailey and Rufus Week 1:
Day 2:
Well, it is cold and rainy here, but I went out anyway! Did my 1 mile in 10:47:11. Still need to repeat the run-walk cycle about 6 or 7 times to cover the mile though. But, each time on the way out, I make it a little further without stopping. Going to work on cutting down the # of cycles, too. It is 6:30 and I still have 6 cigarette's left, so I may make it through the day in only 15 if I pay attention. If I make it 2 days at 15, I will cut back to 14. Hopefully, this will help the running. I never even get to the point where I can feel the running in my legs, because my lungs give out on me . Going to take the dog out for a "fast walk" mile, as I don't plan to run him anymore until we see the vet on May 4. Also, he ran a TON this weekend on the beach and with his cousins. I know it is only day 2 here, but I think a am going to need another week to get to where I can jog a mile straight without stopping. No problem, I am making progress!
Old 04-23-2002, 08:08 AM   #12  

Week 3, Day 2
<<pant, pant>> OMG!!!!! My short little fat butt with stubby legs is not meant to run very fast. But I did it anyway. After a five minute warm up I turned it up to 6.0 (10-min mile pace) and survived fifteen minutes (barely). It's been almost two hours since I did it and I'm still breathing heavy.

How come other people can go 6.0-7.0 on the treadmill and look so graceful?? With me at 6.0 it sounded like a herd of buffalo was coming thru the gym!!!!!

My right leg is a little sore but I put some deep heat stuff on it so I'm hoping it wil be okay.

How did you do??
Old 04-23-2002, 06:42 PM   #13  

Way to go Liz!!! Careful not to hurt yourself - is tomorrow your day off? Maybe you should take one anyway if your leg hurts. You are doing great! - I have never turned the treadmill up past 5.5 (although I may sometimes go faster than that on the street.)

Bailey and Rufus Week 1:
Day 3:
I never knew going to the dr could be so good for you! I had my stitches taken out 2 weeks ago, my physical today, blood work tomorrow, "annual exam" in 1 month - all of which require a 2.5 mile round trip walk (really, it is almost required - type the two addresses into mapquest and they say they are having trouble finding a route - too many one way streets in boston! Plus, I have at least 3 referrals as a result of the drs appt, all of which will likely require a good walk.

On to the running program - perfect day for running today. I forced myself to go SLOW and managed to JOG for the whole first 1/2 mile! Then I did my walk, run, walk routine (total of three 1 to 1.5 min walks) on the way home. Result? 1 mile in 10:38:24. Tomorrow I am off. Thursday, will try to JOG 3/4 mile, and friday will go for the whole enchalada (wow - I have no idea how to spell that one!) Slowly plugging along...

Took the dog out for 1/2 to 3/4 miles in 11:17. Another week and a half until the vet appointment, then maybe he can come with me again.

YEAY rest day! (Although, with the exception of when I am actually doing it, I like this!)
Old 04-23-2002, 08:12 PM   #14  

I forgot to tell you all, my friend did get out of the Hospital! I am so glad, too. She said she almost didn't get to get out of there, because the dr. messed up her discharge order, and it took a visiting nurse to get it all straightened out. I hope she never has to go through that again. Unfortunately, she will have to go back on Friday to get her "permanant" cast. That may take her all day there too, but I hope not.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:28 AM   #15  

Hey you guys looked lonely here.

Lysslou, Glad your friend is out of the hospital!

Bailey & Liz, you both are doing awesome!

I have been adding more and more jogging to my work out. There is no way that it could be confused with running.

I was able to shorten my time up tonight by 4 minutes though. That felt really good.

I am going to sleep well tonight.
Closed Thread