Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 02:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/199/160

Height: 5' 5"

Angry Stay At Home Mom's #40

Hi!

Welcome to a thread full of encouragement, support and humor as we share our lives, as we restore health, lose weight and raise a family! We welcome newcomers as well as all of our regulars!

Be sure and go back to SAHM'S #39 to catch up on what has been going on in our lives. (A lot has happened in the past several weeks, so don't forget to look at the old posts!)
Old 04-15-2002, 03:10 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon!

Hows everyone doing today? I'm happy to report that my day is going a lot better than yesterday. It feels so good to be able to get my marbles put back in order again! I had a bad case of PMS yesterday & my poor, poor family had to deal with me. Thank goodness it was a beautiful day here yesterday & they all stayed outside for most of the day. I did really well staying OP & I'm doing a good job of it today too! I'm actually starting to enjoy eating fruits & vegetables. I hopped on the scale this a.m. & was up 1#, not bad for eating pizza on Sat. night & dealing with the PMS bloating today. I think that this program is starting to become habit forming, as it doesn't seem much of an effort to me anymore. I got my 1 hour of peddlin' in this a.m. & am so happy that I got it out of the way! On Saturday I stayed on for an hour & a half to try & make up missed time. I woke up yesterday a.m. & I had a humungous bruise on the inside of my midthigh. I'm assuming I got this from straining the blood vessels, due to too much biking at one time. Oh well, I'm dealing with it. I guess no pain, no gain, huh? Spryng: How's your dh doing? Is he back to work yet? To the rest of you gals:
I hope that you all are having a happy & healthy Monday! Well, I must get going & finish up on a few things around the house before picking up dd from school. Chat with you all later!

Last edited by Freckles; 04-15-2002 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:17 PM   #3  
hangin' in there...

Jackie, treat that bruise with warm soaks, a heating pad, and an ace wrap to keep it compressed.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:06 PM   #4  

Jen:

Should I be worried about my bruise? It doesn't really hurt too much or cause me discomfort. Should I be concerned or not? It looks worse than it feels. Thanks for thinking of me though!
Do I have to worry about blood clots? I'll maybe check in later this evening.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:39 PM   #5  
burned out bus driver

Hi!~
Well, sanity prevails at my house for now. Everyone is asleep or in bed, that is why!!!!! (hehehehehe). But wait, considering my sanity level............aw well........... , no comment.

Jackie- thanks for starting the new thread. 4 pages- the other one had gotten to and I was just too busy to start a new one.
Have you had it with lions yet????? (Better not watch any MGM movies for a while, ok?). Come chat with me about Robert Louis Stevenson. "We" have to write a biography about him. 20 note cards are due tomorrow, and I actually got Ds to do most of them last nite. Of course, I hounded him to death...............followed him all over the house......threatened to throw out his CD player....you know all the good stuff! As for your leg, how is it?
Sounds like you just overdid it to me and I would not be concerned about varicose veins unless you already have a problem with them or have a genetic predisposition to a problem with them. One thing I read about varicose veins (Dd is developing a few superficial ones- her legs take so much impact with all the athletic stuff she does and on Dh's side there is a genetic leaning toward them)- after you do a certain excercise- such as running, biking or walking- an activity that causes a lot of blood to go to the legs, it is a good idea to finish up with something else, like crunches or push ups (aren't you glad that I posted?????) as this calls for blood to go to another major muscle group and not pool in the legs when you stop. I dunno, I read it on WebMD or IVillage. Made sense to me. Jen's advice about the warm wraps etc just sounded soothing to me. Glad that you are staying OP too.

Jen- now I forget what I wanted to post to you!!!!!!! Oh, yes, you too are "enjoying" warm weather, just like me only a few miles south of you in NY. It is the pits, if you ask me! But great for you- great to get the kids out in etc..... What are your plans for the week??????

Spryng and Sheila- how are you doing?

As for me and a picture, I might try and download a picture and then I could email it to anyone who is interested. I have one current picture (I am not photogenic at all and look like such a burn out). I have to see if I can scan it or something like that.

My house still looks like a disaster and willl until Wednesday. Tomorrow I will be out most of the day, so little will get done.
Dh decided to rip off all the sheet rock tape in the living room/dining room and re-tape it. (we live in a raised ranch/bilevel). So it still looks pretty rugged. I am surprised that he tackled this at this time of year, usually softball prevails and all other life as we know it comes to an abrupt halt.
I did not do too badly as far as eating today. I was far from perfect, but seem to be gaining control of myself. (control was lacking a bit last week). I am giving up on the Atkins diet- for one very good reason- I can't find the time to read the dumb book!! So, WW has done well for me, I can lose on it and will go back to my somewhat loose interpretation of that.
Well, I had better get some shut eye. I am on 4 hours of sleep from last nite and want to get up early tomorrow am to walk to avoid the heat. Have a great nite!
Ginny
Old 04-15-2002, 10:22 PM   #6  

Default Hi

Hi everyone, not too bad of a Monday. Sushine out, tried to keep busy. no high fat food, what a blessing. How is everyone.? I hope all is well. I am going to wait until Saturday for weigh in.

Latisia
Old 04-15-2002, 10:31 PM   #7  

Default Jackie, sorry just read your post , in #39

My husband is in Korea training some people, he does suppy. I am post military too, had to get out due to asthma, exercise induced, or shall I say, running induced. ALot of my friends were in the unit I was in, and many received orders to depart. A few are still here, in the army. Dont have many other friends besides them here, Just got out in October, had spent 2 months with Mom in Va. I have alot of family there, My youngest brother is in Japan, he is in the Airforce. My older brother is in California in the army. Well, seems like that made my Mom nervous, all her children in the service at one point. I miss good old Virginia!! I am really trying to be busy, if not I may do what I did the other day. I am going on a Am walk tomorrow, and follow that up with tae. bo. I really feel good physically, I am so glad. Well that is the continuation, that I missed earlier to post. Take care everyane, and thanks for the wonderful support You have the pronounciation correct too!! Some people call me Tisia too.

Latisia
Old 04-15-2002, 11:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good evening all. I hope everyone's day went well. Mine went ok. I'm disgusted with myself though. I blew another perfectly good day to bad choices. This morning when I got up I knew exactly what I was going to eat to keep me within my cal range. I even had a nice juicy orange for breakfast but then this afternoon I talked my dh into going out to eat (huge mistake) what was I thinking??? I can never eat right when we go out anymore. So we had mexican and I ate way too much. Then we went fishing with my dad and after that was over I ran to a convenient store and bought three burritos and three cheese sticks and ate it all. What is wrong with me?? I can feel my waistline expanding as I type. I am afraid to get on the scale because I swore to myself that I would never be 140 again and I ahve a feeling that I'm getting close. If not there already. help me girls!!!!! What I need to do is stop eating out period. Because when I am home I never eat bad. I always feel like a cheat isn't worth it unless it's outside the home so I don't cheat while at home. I eat my vegtables and fruit and low cal items with a smile on my face. So that's the first thing I need to do. Go cold turkey on eating out. It has to stop. I'm feeling miserable about myself and it's my own fault. I did this to myself. I have to stop and now. Tonight. I can't undo the damage I did today but I can try to fix it by eating right from now on. I see some family at the end of May that I haven't seen in a couple of years and I want to be at my goal weight by then but the only way to do that is to eat right and get the weight off. Sorry, I'm ranting. I am just so angry with myself.
My DH is doing good. Thank you all for asking about him. He hasn't seen the cardiologist yet and he goes back to work thursday. But he hasn't had any more chest pains. So hopefully whatever it was that caused it passed. I hope so anyway. I mean he's only 25. That's way to young to worry about heart problems. Oh and yes he went fishing with us today. We always go as a family. Yesterday I out fished everyone and today I out crawdeded everyone. Me and my little sister caught a ton of crawfish. She likes to keep them as pets and then my 2 yo dd wanted some too so we will be setting up the aquarium tomorrow to have some "pet" crawfish. But that's ok. I think they are neat to watch.
Well other than that. I guess that's about it. It has been a fun outdoor kind of day but a really bad eating day. I am praying that I get a hold of this and do better tomorrow. I better.
G'nite.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:25 PM   #9  

Thumbs down

Good Day, All!

Well, I was totally pleased after hopping on the scale this a.m. I was down another 2#! That makes me over the 10# loss mark.
I'm also into the next decade of numbers as of this a.m. I also started TOM yesterday & usually I retain during this time. I wonder if I'll lose even more as the week gets to the end? I sure hope that my pizza doesn't show up on the scale. Usually when I eat a lot of "naughty" food, it shows up about 5-7 days later. I sure hope not! (I ate pizza on Sat. night) It's another beautiful day here in Wisconsin. Yesterday it reached in the high 80's & today it's supposed to hit 95! This is unseasonably warm for WI.
We usually only get up to 65-70 during this time of the year. I'm actually thinking about putting the air cond. on. I'm working on getting all of the stale air out first. Well enough about me, how are the rest of you doing? Ginny: Thank you too for the info on my bruise. I do have some varicose veins besides the bulging bruise that I have now. I'll try to include some stretching exercises after I'm done. (after my potty break!)I guess 11 years delivering mail did me in! (Including my deep scowl line between me eyes!) So, how is Robert Louis Stevenson coming along @ your house? I still had to look at a few lions this a.m. because ds still didn't have enough pictures of them yet! I sure wish that the evening could be family time & not have to worry about homework. This sure can take a toll on the whole family! DD & I are going to the Buck's game tonight & she wants me to finish her Cheerleading outfit that I started @ Halloween. I'm not sure if I'm in the right mood to work on it though. Ginny, I'm happy for you that your dh apologized to you yesterday. Your house sounds like mine! All the hours we spend on our ds's projects we could be spending on housework, huh?
Oh!, I have a question for you: Didn't you just paint your living room about 6-8 months ago & now your dh has torn it out? Hope you have a lovely OP day today! Latisia: Thanks for answering all my questions that I had about you. I bet your dm is feeling quite overwhelmed about right now. Wow! and your dh, Korea is a long..... ways away from you, isn't it? And for you: I bet you're feeling about the way that your dm feels about right now. And then to have a lot of your buddies just about ready to be deployed too? You poor girl, you! I can see why you'd like to get back to Virginia again. I have a cousin & a few friends living in Virginia. I'd love to go visit them someday. Who knows: Maybe I'll just jump in the car with my kids this summer & go visit them! (That is if my dh lets me!)
Spryng: I'm having fun with putting all your names in color & for some silly reason, I put yours in blue because something tells me that this is your favorite color, am I right? Silly question, huh? Pretty soon someone is going to think that I have nothing better to do with myself. I have plenty to do, but just don't feel like doing any of it! (Burnout Syndrome!) I'm glad to hear that dh went along fishing. My dd's friend went with her dad last night fishing & when my dh got home, my dd begged him to take her last night too! Unfortunately, as usual, dh was way too busy! It's kind of sad because he's missing out on some special one-on-one time with her! DH does take them fishing when we stay at a cabin Upnorth during our summer vacations. So, your kids should feel "honored" to have their Daddy go along with them. Oh!, and about your catches: Congrats! I used to be pretty good at catching fish, crabs, turtles & frogs when I was younger too! One time when I was about 10 years old, I put several frogs in a coffee can, with wholes punched in the lid for ventilation. It was evening when I did this & when I woke up & checked on them in the a.m. they were floating dead on the top of the water because I didn't think on how sunny it would be by morning. Well, after that incident, I have done the catch & release method since! Now back to Spryng: Don't get too hard on yourself right now. I know how you feel though! I felt this way on Saturday evening when I was eating my pizza. I think if you try to eat just fruit & fruit juice in the a.m., you will see a weight loss in the long run. Maybe add a little more exercise to balance out for the extra calories. If it's not too hot, maybe you could take a nice long walk with the kids & maybe your dh if he's allowed to walk that far now. If you are craving FF that much, could it be possible that your pregnancy test gave you a false reading? Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it, huh? Okay, Okay, here I go again being an Old Mother Hen! I do know how you feel though. We have to think on the positive side though, that we will have occaisional binges & then we can get on the right track again & straighten out again. I guess I binged a little too long & now I'm gradually losing the weight that I lost last year. I was just thinking the other day that if I would have kept that weight off that I lost, I could be working on the final 20-30# that I still needed to lose! Positive thinking again: "I WILL LOSE IT!" It's kind of funny though: I'm just about the same height as you are & my goal is to get to "140"! I'd be totally happy to weigh what you do! But I remember when I was in my 20's & 30's & thought that weighing 140 was way too much! I always felt great at 125#. This is what I got down to just before I got pregnant with my dd, the youngest who is almost 9 now. I keep telling her she was worth the extra pounds that I've kept on as the result of my pregnancy with her. A few years ago the kids gave me a t-shirt for Mother's Day that reads: "A MOM IS WORTH HER WEIGHT IN COOKIES!" Now back to you again Spryng: Did you listen to the opposite side of the tape that I sent you? It's about eating out & binge eating. Maybe listen to it again, if you have already. I know, sometimes that doesn't help either! Well gals, I'd better stop typing away here, before I don't accomplish anything today. I hope the rest of you get a chance to stop in for a few lines or so. One more thing: I hope that I don't come across as offensive to anyone here. Sometimes my posts may sound offending, but it's usually due to me rambling on & on as fast as I can so that I can get off the computer! Well, I'm going now, (that's a promise!) Have a great day!

Last edited by Freckles; 04-16-2002 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:56 PM   #10  

Jackie your posts never seem offending in any way! You are very realistic and encouraging!!
I'm feeling better about myself today and I must admit I didn't listen to the other side of the tape you sent me yet. I was so excited to start Fit For Life that that's the only side I listened to. But I will listen to the other some time today. I really like the whole idea behind FFL but it just doesn't fit into my eating patterns or my likes. But I am keeping to the fruit for breakfast until noon. I like the way I feel when I eat light. What is a typical day for you on the diet? What do you eat?? I could never figure out what to make for dinner besides all vegetables. And I like my pasta and breads and cheese with my breads and pasta so it was tough for me. So I am going to incorporate some of the ideas of ffl into my "new" plan. I will have fruit until noon and then vegtables for lunch with soup or salad and then something low cal for dinner. But filling. I will have my 8 glasses of water a day and not eat after 8:00 pm to allow my body ample time to digest all the food I consume. And if I feel like I am starving after 8:00 pm I will have only fruit. So it will be alot of FFL but dinner will not be properly combined all the time. I like boxed dinners too much mac n cheese or tuna, chicken, or hamburger helpers, and all kinds of stuff like that. I just love boxed dinners. Guess I'm weird. But they have come a long way. They all have low fat versions on them. And I always cut out the margerine and use fat free skim milk and it rally cuts the cals.
Well enough about that. I feel good and optimistic today and I think maybe I hit rock bottom last night and I am finally ready to get this thing going again. But my real test will be later. I have to go to town to buy fish and such for our aquarium. And whenever I'm in town my DH always wants to eat something and so does the kids and I have a really hard time eating anything remotely healthy. And I eat alot of it. But I'm going to already have ate lunch by that time so maybe I won't let my hunger take over my brain and I can either skip the meal or order a light salad or something. I'm trying to think postive. I know I can do this again. I got on the scale this am and it read 138. I gained two more lbs. Hopefully it is water weight and will flush out in a couple of days from all the high sodium foods I've consumed lately. We'll see.
Well, I better get off here. Congrats on your two lb loss Jackie!! You are doing so great!! And yes, blue is my favorite color!! But you've always had me pegged. Somehow you are connected to me
I'll talk to you later!!
Old 04-16-2002, 02:25 PM   #11  

hey everyone, Jackie, my husband is overwhelmed, he is the only one there that really knows what they are doing!! Oh my.. I do miss my friends and family in Viginia, It is so different from here too, I can go there, and enjoy seafood, here, it is hard to find some things like that, some restaurants barely even have the kind of food I am now used to!!

spryng, I am going to write you. Stay motivated, take it one day at a time. Dont be distressed, it only makes it harder.. You are leaning on the right track. I think you may need more calories, complex carbohydrates, and some protein.. but that is just my view, what do you think??? I will get back with you.

Hello everyone!! Stay strong!!

Latisia
Old 04-16-2002, 03:11 PM   #12  

I don't think I need more calories. I stall if I eat over 1300 or so. And I lose the best at about 1000 or even a little less. As far as protein goes, I may incorporate more nuts and cheese in my meals but not chicken, pork, or beef. I do like fish though. I need to buy some. Mmmm.... a broiled fish with melted cheese on top with a little tartar sauce sounds great right now.
I'm not going to town after all. My DH is there now getting some things so I decided we'll wait on the fish in the aquarium. Right now I just want to stay home and focus on the house and myself. For lunch I had a bowl of tomato soup and 2 cups of salad with light fat free italian dressing. It was very good. But the only thing with salad and soup, it never stays with you every long. I'm already starting to feel hungary again and it's only been 2 hours. But I plan on drinking more water and at least waiting until 3 or 4 until I eat dinner. I haven't decided what I am making yet.
latisia, where do you live now?? And thank you for all your support. I'm not real familiar with low fat diets. But your lunch sounded really good. But bagels have too many calories so I don't buy them. If I eat bread it's low cal wheat bread that I toast.
And I forgot to answer a few of your questions Jackie. yes I read the entire book. I just couldn't put it down. But I'm like that with just about any book I pick up. Does the Fitonics book have better meal ideas than the one I have?? Because so far today I've been doing ffl. But that doesn't mean I will have a FFL dinner. And I probably won't. But I will have brocoli or cauliflower with dinner and a salad so it will still be 70% vegetables today. I hope some of this water is gone by tomorrow.
I'll check back in later.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:42 PM   #13  
SAHM Cheerbabe

Unhappy

I feel like just giving up. I really hope you girls can take it. Your usually chipper cheerleader is totally tuckered and has used her last brain cell.

As I sit here. My laundry is sky high. The house is a wreck. So why am I here? I'm having a breakdown. And no one wants to hear about it. I've flubbed up my diet and succesfully added 6#. Yep, 6#. I feel like a total failure. Thats not all. I have to hire a daycare for 2 days a week. This farming is for the birds. I'm so stressed out. Dh promises it won't be for long, just untill we "get things rolling". If I gain anymore they will be rolling alright. I'm sorry my thoughts are all astray. I can't seem to focus. Oh and my diet. What diet?! I've been eating everything. If it ain't nailed down I'm eating it.

Okay. Ten deep breaths. Hang with me. Geeesh. You all have to be hating me. I don't post for days then I sit and blubber. I'm sorry. I really need some support here. I'm going to go for now. But I'll be back after dinner. And I will post my pic then too.

Misty
Old 04-16-2002, 10:52 PM   #14  
hangin' in there...

Just a few quick words gang. Very busy around here with the kids on vacation this week!

Jackie, I hope I didn't scare you about your bruise. You shouldn't have to worry about anything serious like a clot... I was just trying to give you some soothing remedy ideas. And, I never find your posts offending. That is just what I have been worried about with posting my opinions earlier this week, and I really hope I have not offended anyone.

Spryng, and Misty... hang in there girls! You both sound so discouraged. Truth be told, I am in the same boat with you, but am refusing to acknowledge or discuss it. Denial is awful!!! But, you two are taking the first step which is owning it... only then can you beat it!!! I am cheering you guys on whole-heartedly!!! Maybe I can even find some inspiration with you wonderfully strong women.

Ginny, I couldn't see your pics

K gang, gotta run. Dd is having a sleepover... gotta go tame the wild ones!!!

talk soon...
Old 04-16-2002, 11:41 PM   #15  

hey you all! well i am still here in Texas til about July. spryng, are you a vegetarian?? do you like beans? (they take some adjusting though) Go with what you are comfortable with, If you can only eat 1000 calories and lose weight, I am curious about your metabolism and activity.. Well let me know what you do for exercise? Oh no, I never got the tae bo 2 tape.. My son wasnt feeling too good. Well everyone I am doing ok, and plan to continue doing so.. Stay strong
oh, one more thing Misty, there is no hate here! Just take it one day at a time , as I put it.

latisia
Closed Thread