Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Getting RID of water!!

Okay, y'all.....I'm SICK of this water retention problem! I know I'm still losing because #1 I'm sticking to my plan and eating appropriate calories, exercising daily, etc., and #2 my measurements are showing it. However, the scales and my hands and feet are messing with me! The scales keep bouncing around the same .6 lb and my hands and feet are puffy and tender.

I try to reduce the sodium in every way in my diet, but I'm obviously missing a lot. So, what have you found to be good ways of lowering your salt intake and/or getting rid of the extra fluid without diuretics and without messing up your electrolytes?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RitzyFritz; 10-18-2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I know it sounds weird, but when I'm retaining water the only thing that gets rid of it is to drink MORE water... a lot more. I usually up my intake from 80oz/day to 100oz/day and that takes care of it within a week or so.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I don't know of anything that can help, but I am sure you will eventually overcome this. good luck.
cheryl
Old 10-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I would agree--drink more water! 8 to 10 glasses a day! Don't worry about cutting salt--that's probably not the problem unless you eat a LOT of salty foods. Drinking more water should help you NOT retain water, if your body is healthy.

If the swelling in your hands and feet continues, you should see your doctor.

Jay
Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

I agree...you might want to drink more water. When I drink at least 100 oz a day, I don't retain it!!! Strange, huh? Usually it's a big problem with me. I also limit my diet drinks to one a day. The water also helps with hunger issues, too.
Hope this helps!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

I used to have swollen feet and ankles all the time. Since I started watching what I eat they've gone away. I watch the sodium and I drink water all day long. I gave up the diet coke too. It wasn't doing me any favors.

Drink A LOT!

Also, you might want to check with your doctor. Blood clots can cause weird swelling too.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #7  
but you can call me Sarah

S/C/G: 165/185/135

Height: 5'2

Lightbulb funny thing that water retention...

i have been gaining weight like MAD since my dr changed my b.c. precription, maybe it's water weight? i can't even wear my wedding ring at night any more . i've been drinking water, but maybe its not enough. i think today, i'll keep my empty water bottles and track how much i've actually been drinking and change from there. i know that its not a soda-issue...i was complimented (in a strange sort of way) when a co-worker asked me if i drink sodas. it let me know i was doing something right.

thanks for the motivation today!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #8  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Thanks much!! I do go to the doctor regularly (hypothyroidism) and everything always checks out fine. I am also a medical transcriptionist who types for cardiologists and vascular doctors who are constantly dealing with water retention issues. However, I don't have the ailments (thankfully) that they are dealing with in these patients so the scenarios don't apply to me....so that is why I thought it might be a sodium issue, though I do try to eliminate it as much as possible in the foods I prepare.

I definitely don't drink 100 oz of water a day, probably not even 80. I'm going to TRY to do this and see how it goes. Unfortunately, drinking too much water makes me nauseated! It is a catch 22 isn't it?

Thanks again. I'm going to see how your suggestions work for me and will post an update in about a week on this issue. Anyone else have ideas feel free to pass them on! I'm so tired of this issue, as it affects the scale and THAT affects my mental state.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

guzzling water makes me feel sick sometimes too. I usually can get in 6 glasses/day, but more makes me feel like I'm really pushing it down. Adding a squeeze of lemon or lime helps, and I like the sparkling waters too (unsweetened, of course). They don't seem to make me sick. Herbal teas are good and they count towards water. Same with broth or bouillon.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #10  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Guzzling water can make me nauseated too. I have a big water glass, and it sits next to me at my desk. I sip all day long. Never guzzle. It gets to be part of my day (and if I'm carrying it from meeting to meeting, and it doesn't go down, I know I need to drink more).

I agree that part of hte cure I've found for water retention is to drink more water. I also cut back on carbs and alcohol during those times, which also seems to help. Salt isn't that much of an issue for me.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #11  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Great points! I don't guzzle because I'm afraid none of it would stay down I think I'm going to go to the store tonight and get a jug that has the ounces marked on it - fill it up to what I need and make it a goal to get that down every day. I don't drink alcohol, so that isn't a problem. I do think the herbal teas would be beneficial in more ways than being a diuretic...think I will have to check those out too. Thanks so much!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Another vote for not guzzling. It's not necessary to drink all your water at once. Sipping is good, as long as you don't forget to do it. Also, adding lemon wedges or lime wedges to the water helps a lot!

Jay
Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #13  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Jay, I wish I DID like lemon or lime in the water! My husband loves it, I cannot stand it! LOL! I do think maybe the herbal teas might help (the flavored ones). Not sure yet. I'm going to get some tonight and see if that helps. I love Ice Tea (I drink decaf) and could drink it all day but I don't want to not have plain water either so I try to limit even the ice tea. Thanks for the input! I'm hoping these things will do the trick for me.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #14  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

I've always been a big water retainer, ever since I was little. I find that the more water I drink, the less of an issue I have with it.

I try to limit the sugary drinks I consume, like juices. We always have them on-hand because we have temporary custody of my 3 1/2 year old niece. If I absolutely have to have some juice, I dilute it WAY down with water.

I've also been going to the gym with my mom for the past few months, and I've noticed that for a few days after I do weights, I'm up a few pounds due to water retention. I try not to worry too much about it.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I do have big issues with water retention. Unfortunately, mine is related to my hormone therapy. As women, our bodies do go through hormone changes about once every 7 years. Maybe, this is your 7 year time?
Closed Thread