Old 10-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 7'

Default What to do... I miss summer fruit

Blueberries were a big part of my success this summer. I took a pint to work each day.

I have no idea what to do now. The fruit is nasty, apples are not as much fun.

I bought more veggies but even the veggies are not as good.

So, any ideas? What are you doing to replace summer fruit?

Thanks
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I just adore frozen blueberries. They're great in yogurt, on cereal... give em a try! Though, I don't know if they're as good if you eat em "straight" as you did this summer...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi. We haven't seen you around in awhile. I hope all is well with you.

We were just talking about this topic on a thread in support.

I actually said that I found some of the summer fruit so good, especially the cherries, that it's probably best that they're gone.

But boy, those BERRIES were something else. I ate so many raspberries, strawberries and blueberries this past summer. Oh well.

For the first time I am really enjoying apples. It's good because it's a pre-determined portion. I was going back to the fridge too often for the grapes. I am trying some new apples that I never ate before and really loving them. The honey crisp and the gala apples are fabulous. There's always frozen blueberries. Not the same as fresh, but they're good in smoothies.

I'm also eating a lot of the winter squashes. I made an incredibly easy and delicious butternut squash soup tonight. We had acorn squash last night. Tomorrow will probably be spaghetti squash.

I've also been making a large amount of cucumber salad every morning and eating that through out the day. And I've recently discovered raw green beans as a good snack/nibble as well. Same thing goes with zucchini. I eat it either raw, cut up in sticks or I broil it real quickly with a little garlic and onion powder for a quick treat.

Just gotta change things up a bit to roll with the seasons. Adding in more veggies has worked out well for me. Soon oranges and clemintines will be back in season. Hang in there. Do some experimenting. You're bound to find something that you like. And I find time flies soooo quickly, before you know it, those berries will be right back in season. The long absence will make them that much more enjoyable.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I miss Summer fruit, too. I've been buying frozen berries, and they are good in cereal and smoothies. I make a lot of smoothies with OJ, yogurt, ice, and a variety of fruit.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAx View Post
I miss Summer fruit, too. I've been buying frozen berries, and they are good in cereal and smoothies. I make a lot of smoothies with OJ, yogurt, ice, and a variety of fruit.
I just saw on some TV show somewhere, that if you use frozen fruit, you don't even need ice. They say it comes out waaay better. They even had a good idea to slice your bananas when they become ripe and freeze them, then you can throw them right in the blender with some cold yogurt and frozen berries for a great smoothie. I'm definitely going to give that a try.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-16-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I was just saying in another thread that come January I'd be willing to spend $28 on a nectarine. I love nectarines. I also had what I think was the last decent honeydew melon with dinner tonight; they're getting kinda mealy and cost 4 times what they did a month ago.

I may be able to get myself to eat some of the squash veggies but it's not going to be the same. Frozen fruits don't do it for me either. There's a good chance I'm just going to mope and b***h until next summer.

Last edited by Robin41; 10-16-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Also sad that the summer fruits are over the whole family ate loads. Oh well its back to the bananas, apples and pears for me.

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 10-16-2007 at 06:52 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I just saw on some TV show somewhere, that if you use frozen fruit, you don't even need ice. They say it comes out waaay better. They even had a good idea to slice your bananas when they become ripe and you can throw them right in the blender with some cold yogurt and frozen berries for a great smoothie. I'm definitely going to give that a try.
I make smoothies with frozen berries and you're right, you don't need ice. Yum.

Also, you can freeze bananas (I cut them in half first) -- then you can throw the frozen banana in the smoothie!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 AM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I hear you sister, I love summer fruit, berries, cherries, peaches......... mangos, papaya... I buy frozen fruit too, and add it to vanilla yogurt, For apples I have to eat it with honey or Peanut butter, I hate the taste.. cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I look forward to fall so our family can go to the apple orchards and hand pick our apples. This year we were really disappointed - NO apples. Am early frost killed the crops here in our area, so even the apple orchards had to "ship in" apples to sell.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
They even had a good idea to slice your bananas when they become ripe and you can throw them right in the blender with some cold yogurt and frozen berries for a great smoothie. I'm definitely going to give that a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
I make smoothies with frozen berries and you're right, you don't need ice. Yum.

Also, you can freeze bananas (I cut them in half first) -- then you can throw the frozen banana in the smoothie!
Heather, that was part of the good idea. I totally left it out of my post, . Yes, that's what I meant to say -you could slice and FREEZE your ripened bananas and put them right in the blender. I'm going to go back and edit my post to reflect that.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #12  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Looks like we'll have to turn to citrus for the winter, I reckon...

Using frozen in smoothies is a good idea,though!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #13  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

I have a little toaster oven, and when I was in Illinois when I started I would wake up, cut up the apple into slices, add cinnamon and a teeny bit of honey and put them in the oven. Go, take a shower, and when I got out I would eat the apple with ww crackers.

If I found peaches on sale I did the same thing. Or with tomatoes. Mmm...

I have a really slow internet connection right now, but I know there is this really easy Weight Watchers apple cobbler recipe. I'll try to find it for you.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

While I miss the summer fruits,I really look forward to fall when the pomegranates come out.The kids and I love them and look forward to them every year.To bad they aren't in the stores longer.

My youngest snacks on the frozen mixed fruit and loves it.I think I buy the strawberry,blueberry,rasberry mix.He'd eat the entire bag if no one was watching.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:18 AM   #15  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE stone fruits and berries. I grew up in Michigan, and I am so devoted to cherries it's not even funny. And plums. And nectarines.

But with fall, the Ginger Gold apples come back to the market... and I no longer have to choose between Delicious (which aren't, IMO) and cooking apples. Pears are just begging to be poached in red wine and a bit of honey. And soon it will be lovely citrus season again.

When I crave summer fruit in winter, I make a smoothie of frozen fruits, or a compote from dried peaches.

But I also enjoy winter fruits. I love the change of season, and that's part of it.

I also enjoy moving from tomatoes and cucumbers to squashes and cabbages. Winter vegetables have a nice, homey solidness to them.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote