General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Goign to Hawaii!!... in a year!

My brother in law finally proposed to his girlfriend.

They had been going out on and off for about 3 years. He would keep "breaking up" with her for silly reasons.

First... He wanted kids... she didn't... so he broke it off with her but was "still friends".

Then they got back together.

Next. She wanted to get married... he didn't... so he broke it off again....

Ugh what a moron. I could tell the two loved eachother more than anything. Talk about fear of commitment.

Then Todd and I got married on August 4th. They came to the wedding and was all lovey dovey of course, but were "still friends".

They took my photos for us as she had a professional camera, and I couldn't afford a real photographer.

Now two months later - my mother in law broke the news that he finally proposed!!

They're getting married in Hawaii! And they want Todd and I to witness! YAY!

So they will be getting married next August, and I've got a HUGE incentive to lose weight so I can be beach-worthy when we go (visiting for 1 week).

I've only been to California when I was 19. So I haven't travelled much. I'm a little terrified of flying LOL.

Has anyone been there? What's it like?
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Try PMing MELEKALIKIMAKA ~ she lives there!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

What island will you be on? My brother lives on Maui and I've been many, many times so if Maui is the island I'll be happy to share with you what I know.
JazzyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:59 AM   #4  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

tamaralynn, congrats to you and your new hubby! How exciting! And congrats also on your commitment-shy brother and sis-in-law-to be. I do indeed live in Hawaii, on the island of O'ahu. Do you know which island they are planning to tie the knot on? I can tell you lots about O'ahu, what kinds of stuff do you wanna know?
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #5  
I'm a Loser ;)

Thanks!!

I'm looking forward to going (although I'm terrified of flying lol). I live in Canada... and I have only been to California for a week in May of 99.

Not sure which island we'll be staying at yet.

Any suggestions on MUST SEE attractions on any of the Islands? Is there a Ferry that travels between the islands if we end up staying at one and want to travel to another? If so are the fees reasonable?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am going to Hawaii for a wedding next August also! Seems like it is the year for it.

I used to be petrified to fly (panic-attack-couldn't-breathe-petrified), but I've worked it out now. PM me if you want resources on getting over that flying fear...you've got a whole year, so you can definitely lessen the worry by then!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #7  
so close, yet so far...

On Oahu, I would definitely take in the Polynesian Cultural center on the North Shore. It would be a day trip since they only open at 12:00 noon, but they do offer dinner shows and the Ali'i Luau. If you'd like to experience a luau (Hawaiian feast) a little closer to Waikiki, there are a number of places you can go: Paradise Cove Luau or Germaine's Luau (on the west side of the island) or even the Royal Hawaiian Luau right in Waikiki (at the Royal Hawaiian hotel). You can visit Pearl Harbor's Arizona memorial and Battleship Missouri....and right across the street from that is the Aloha Flea market (open on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays) for all your souveniers. You can snorkel at Hanauma Bay, or take in a sunset sail dinner cruise. The one place I say you must visit though, is definitely the flea market! Don't buy much in Waikiki if you stay there before you visit the flea market.

On Maui, I could recommend a romantic (and bleary eyed) visit to Haleakala National Park to see the sun rise. Maui has awesome snorkeling trips to Molokini too, even if you don't swim, you can use the boogie board with the viewing mask built in to see the beautiful fish and turtles.

If going to the Big Island (Hawaii), you must check out Volcanoes National Park.

Hmmm, I don't have any recommendation for Kauai because I only go there to visit the in-laws and we don't do much sight-seeing while there.... but I do know they have some pretty awesome helicopter tours if you so dare.

As for a ferry between islands, that's a state DEBACLE right now. I don't want to talk about it because it upsets me so much. You can read about it by googling "Hawaii Superferry". The short answer as of now is no, there is no ferry service between islands.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #8  
I'm a Loser ;)

Todd's brother is going to rent a house instead of going to a hotel. This way there's more privacy. They will probably find somewhere in Maui

I can't wait!

One of my students told me I should take flying lessons - this would help quench my fears of flying LOL. I don't think so HA
Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #9  
I'm a Loser ;)

Couldn't find a house to rent.

BIL got us a sweet deal...

$2,800 total for the both of us (taxes included) for return airfare and 7 night stay in South Kihei Maui.

We'll be staying in a condo with a full kitchen and a Lanai facing the ocean
Old 12-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #10  
so close, yet so far...

Kihei's a good location, a little hot but can get plenty windy right near the beach (like practically anywhere else on any of the islands ). But glad to hear you have some plans made already. The Superferry is a go right now. There are still some kinks they are working out (government regulations) but it looks like it should be operational by the time you visit in case you want to do a day trip to Honolulu.