Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Cold Weather Recipes and Ideas...

The seasons are changing here and I was wondering what kinds of things/meals you all do differently when it is colder outside.

Three things come to mind for me....one is I love homemade soups, so I will be searching for some new recipes to try. I threw my roasted vegies in the food processor and added some broth to it, made a wonderful bisque like soup!

Hot tea!! I don't drink a lot in the summertime, but I enjoy it when there is a chill in the air. I just bought a new one....Bigelow, VANILLA CARAMEL. It is lucious!! (and it smells incredible)

Winter squash.....I cooked two of them this morning and had some of it for breakfast (with a little agave nectar, cinnamon and a splash of Mapleine flavoring added)

What are some of the things you all make in the colder months? I'd love some more ideas!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

HI ,
I make soups, stews and chilli's... Veggie soup , pasta e fageoli( sorry about spelling ), veggie chilli, spicky black bean soup....... I want to learn how to make squash soup,,tomato soup, lentil soup
I also like casseroles, I do alot of searching on websites, wholefoods, all recipes, ect.. and try things, sometimes they come out good sometimes not.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

I have done a lot of searching online for recipes too ~ I am hoping folks on here will jump in with some they've tried that are good!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

Default Cold weather foods..

I found this recipe on Whole foods website, I make something like this without the cocoa powder
Chipotle Black Bean Soup
From The Whole Foods Market Cookbook

The smoky, spicy almost chocolate-like flavor of this soup comes from chipotle chilies, an ingredient that is very popular in the Southwest. Chipotle chilies, which are smoked jalape�os, can be found dried, pickled or canned in thick adobo sauce. This recipe calls for unsweetened cocoa, which adds a warmth to the complex flavor of this soup. Enjoy it with corn bread to buffer the chilies.

Serves 6 to 8
1/8 cup olive oil
2 cups chopped red onion
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano, or 3 tablespoons fresh
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 chopped canned chipotle chilies
1/8 cup adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers
12 cups water
1 bay leaf
2 cups (dry) black beans, rinsed
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
6 scallions, thinly sliced
sea salt, to taste
Soak the black beans overnight or 6–8 hours prior to cooking.

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the red onion, peppers and garlic; saut� until the onion is translucent. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the oregano, cumin, chipotle chilies, and adobo sauce; saut� for 1 minute. Add the cold water, bay leaf, and beans. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the beans are tender.

Stir in the cocoa powder, orange juice, cilantro, scallions, and salt; continue to simmer for 5 minutes.

Nutrition Info
Per Serving (1 cup): calories 60; calories from fat 15; calories from saturated fat 0; protein 2g; carbohydrates 9g; total fat 2g; saturated fat 0g; cholesterol 0 mg; sodium 10 mg; 25% calories from fat

Harvest Vegetable Stew
Makes 3 quarts
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 cups yellow onion, diced
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
3 cups (cooked) pinto beans
2 cans fat-free vegetable broth
2 pieces star anise (or 1/2 teaspoons star anise seed)
2 cinnamon sticks
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup tamari
4 Yellow Finn potatoes
4 baby Japanese eggplants
1 each yellow and red bell pepper
2 small zucchini
1 bunch bok choy
1 pinch red chili powder
Cut potatoes, eggplant, peppers, zucchini, and bok choy into 1-inch pieces. Heat sesame oil; saut� garlic, onion, and ginger until onions are translucent. Add beans with their liquid, soup stock, anise, cinnamon, green onion, tamari. Bring to a boil, add potatoes and peppers. Simmer 30 minutes. Add zucchini, eggplant and bok choy; cover and simmer another 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder.

Nutrition Info
Per Serving (9 oz): 124 calories, 1g fat (0g sat), 6g protein, 23g carbohydrates, 0mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 bread

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-12-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

In addition to turning on the heat, I "warm" my house by moving the couch away from the windows, using a lot of candles, and baking/cooking more often.

I do crock-pot meals a lot ... I live alone and it's very welcoming to walk in after work and smell stew ready for dinner.

In the summer, I make iced sun-tea, but in the winter I drink it hot with some lemon in it. When I have company, I serve cocoa and cider. Otherwise I'd drink it all myself!

I bake things more often in the winter, too. Last year I went on a bender with a bread machine, I can't do that again unless I'm looking to put on weight. One of my favorite things to do is take a recipe I like and make it as healthy as possible: for example, tuna casserole gets wild rice instead of noodles, lots of vegetables, low-fat or fat-free cream of mushroom soup, breadcrumbs instead of cheese topping, etc.

I typically do a lot with apples in the fall. My family loves a very unhealthy cranberry-apple pie that I make, so I only make that on Thanksgiving. I often sautee apples in butter, cinnamon, and stevia (natural sugar-free sweetener), and freeze small packages of them to add to oatmeal, on top of pancakes, etc.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #6  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I like to break out the "winter meals" as my mom always called them....the things we didn't necessarily eat much during the summer months like chili, stew, etc.

Cheryl, I have a recipe for a squash soup that's fantastic! I'm not sure how calorie conscious it is, I haven't made it in awhile. I'm at work now, but someime this weekend I'll try to post it for you!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #7  
it's always something

hellokitty, those recipes sound great! I'm going to try the black bean soup recipe next week
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Oh yeah.. our temps have went from the 90's last week to 40s this. Im ready for more chili and soups.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

This is my favorite vegetarian chili recipe:
Spicy Vegetarian Chili
Dairy-Free, Vegetarian

Serves 6–8
A colorful, satisfying bowl of chili that packs plenty of flavor — even for the staunchest meat eaters.

2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 large stalk celery, chopped
1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium red pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1–3 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 can (28-ounce) diced tomatoes
4 cups water
3 cups (cooked) red kidney beans, drained
1 1/2 cups (cooked) black beans, drained

Optional Toppings

chopped scallions
sour cream
shredded cheese
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and saut� onions, carrot, celery, peppers and garlic for 10–12 minutes until vegetables are softened but not browned. Add chopped chipotles (amount depending on desired "heat"), oregano, cumin, chili powder and salt. Stir to blend. Add tomatoes and water. Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Add beans and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Garnish individual bowls with optional toppings.
Nutrition Info
Per Serving (453g-wt.): 210 calories (40 from fat), 4.5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 13g dietary fiber, 10g protein, 36g carbohydrate, 0mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium

For the meat eaters, I just made a central american beef soup.... I am not sure of the calories, but I am told it taste good( I don't eat meat)
This recipe is home made , so I don't have a written recipe..
I saute a chopped onion in olive oil( tsp) and add soup meat, and soup bone, when the meat is brown, I add a can of stewed tomatoes, and enough water? beef broth to cover this mixture and let simmer for 60 minutes.. then I add veggies....... I start with 3-4 chopped carrots, and 3-4 stalks of chopped celery.... I let this cook for 10 minutes or so and then add about 7 cleaned red potatoes( I half them), let that cook until almost soft( you will need to be checking this) then I add fresh cleaned corn, and yellow platanos , I cook this for 5 minutes or so, and then add some chopped cabbage, and green squash( roughly chopped in big pieces) .. let this cook until squash is soft and then I add chopped cilantro.... O h yes I forgot when you add the tomatoes, add some bay leaves...... I also use salt and pepper..... Serve with rice, tortillas, and hot sauce.......
cheryl
Old 10-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

I'm so jealous of you guys who actully get cooler weather. Our seasons don't change much here. I have fallen in love with my crock pot. I would love to hear some of your favorite easy crock pot recipes!

One thing I've tried that I love is to put several frozen chicken breast in the crock pot with Rotel, beef broth and taco mix. When I get home I shread up the chicken and add several canned veggies. It makes a wonderful chicken veggie soup!
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #11  
Masterpiece in progress

I don't want to be topic hog, but here is a great recipe that I have not tried, but want to ......... African Peanut-Potato Stew

Servings: 6-8

Inspired by traditional African recipes, this delicious stew gets its richness from sweet potatoes and natural peanut butter. While the peanut butter contributes a lot of flavor, it also contributes a good bit of fat. To reduce the fat, you may choose to reduce the amount or leave it out entirely. If you follow the Eat to Live program, you may want to substitute a raw nut butter.

1 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
2 14.5 ounce cans chopped tomatoes
2 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pound green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
¼ cup natural peanut butter

1. In 6-quart pressure cooker, heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion, jalapenos, and 2 tbsp. water and cook about 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed. Stir in ginger, garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon, crushed red pepper, and coriander, and cook 1 minute, stirring.

2. To onion mixture in pressure cooker, add tomatoes with their juice, sweet-potato chunks, chickpeas, broth, and peanut butter. Following manufacturer's directions, cover pressure cooker, bring up to pressure, and cook under pressure 5 minutes. Quick-release pressure as manufacturer directs.

3. Add green beans to pressure cooker. Return to heat and cook, covered, until beans are done, about 10 minutes. Or, return cooker to high pressure and cook for one minute. Quick-release pressure and add additional seasoning as needed.

Regular stove-top directions:

Place 1/3 cup water, onion, jalapenos, ginger and garlic in a large pot. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add cumin, cinnamon, salt, red pepper and coriander. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, green beans, vegetable broth, and peanut butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Per serving: 358 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (18% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 203mg Sodium

Adapted from other recipes by Susan Voisin

back to fatfreevegan.comWhite Bean And Hominy Chili

Submitted by: Courtney

This is from Nava Atlas' site www.vegkitchen.com. I thought it might go well with the recent interest in corn bread! Plus, it is nice and warming on these cold winter nights!!

6 to 8 servings

This offbeat chili is a pleasant introduction to whole hominy, if you've never tried it before. Hominy results from soaking corn kernels until the hulls come off. You'll find canned hominy shelved near other canned corn products on supermarket shelves.

1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium red or green bell pepper, cut into short, narrow strips
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups water
One 16-ounce can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
One 16-ounce can whole white hominy
One 16-ounce can salt-free diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
One 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies,
or 1 to 2 chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, more or less to taste (see Note)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Salt to taste
Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste, optional

Heat some water to sauté in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.

Stir in the bell pepper, sweet potatoes, and water. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently until the sweet potatoes are just tender but still firm, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Add the beans, hominy, tomatoes, corn, chilies, cumin, and oregano. Simmer gently for 20 to 25 minutes longer. Stir in the cilantro, and taste first before adding any salt. You may not need any due to the canned beans and hominy. If desired, season with red pepper flakes if you are not using chipotles.

The stew should have the consistency of a thick chili--moist, but not soupy. Add a bit more water if too thick. Serve at once, or let stand off the heat for an hour or so, then heat through before serving.

NOTE: Using chipotle chilies will give this stew a smoky flavor, and will be spicier effect than if using mild green chilies
Vegan Split Pea Soup I
Submitted by: Deborah Sah
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 121 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 3 Hours Ready In: 3 Hours 10 Minutes
Yields: 10 servings

"Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme."
INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dried split peas
1/2 cup barley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
7 1/2 cups water 3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 potatoes, diced
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground black
pepper

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot over medium high heat, saute the oil, onion, bay leaf and garlic for 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add the peas, barley, salt and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, parsley, basil, thyme and ground black pepper. Simmer for another hour, or until the peas and vegetables are tender.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Soups, stews and casseroles, yum, yum. Is this the beginning of a 101 soup recipes thread?

Tonight I'm making my mom's recipe for quick chicken minestrone.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #13  
Masterpiece in progress

Here is a really good Tomato soup recipe......... I have used something very similiar before, without some of the herbs, and loved it. I had 10 cookbooks before Hurricane Katrina,now I have one, so there are recipes that I have used in the past but dont have them writtendown.

dSeva’s Roasted Tomato Soup
Courtesy of Seva
This savory soup is perfect on its own or with your favorite sandwich.

6 lbs. roma tomatoes
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh basil, cleaned and chopped
1/4 cup fresh chives, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
5 cups roasted vegetable stock

• Cut the stems off the tomatoes and cut in half. Place cut-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast in a 350ºF oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until the expelled juices dry but the tomatoes are not burned.
• Meanwhile, sauté the garlic and shallots in the olive oil until translucent.
• In a large pot, combine the roasted tomatoes and sautéed garlic-shallots with the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes.
• In a blender, purée until well mixed but not completely puréed.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

My Veggie Chili

1 large can v8 juice
1 pk chili seasoning
3 cans red kidney beans
1 big can mushrooms
1/2 a large onion chopped finely
1/2 a green pepper chopped
1 can corn

My Veggie Soup
1 can corn
1 can peas
1 can carrots
1 can potatoes
1 can mixed veggies
1 large can v8 juice
1/2 an onion chopped fine
1/2 a green pepper

A yummy bean soup recipe my MIL makes.. dunno where she got it..

1 15oz can Cannellini beans
3 15oz cans Great Northern beans
1 can tomato crushed
1 can chicken broth
1 lg onion
1 polish sausage (oval) *I use the healthy choice kind*
1 T butter-- could leave out or sub.

While beans draining saute onion in butter in the cooker you are fixing the soup in. Then put in tomatoes, broth, sausage into the cooker. Bring to a fast boil, then let it simmer a few minutes.

Last edited by xJox; 10-13-2007 at 07:56 PM.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote