Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Magic Wand Questions...

I posted before - if the magic fat fairy waved her wand and you could **POOF** be skinny, could you maintain it or would you get heavy -- and it got a lot of responses...

my new question is: if the fat fairy **POOF** made all your aches and pains, health problems, and any chance of dying prematurely disappear...would you continue on the weight loss journey??

I thought about it and i think my answer would be no.... don't get me wrong, the "looking better" and clothes fitting is a nice by-product but not my motivation at all.

You guys??
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I always like your questions... Yes I would absolutely keep going. But there are a lot of non-health related things I want out of this:

I want to know what being at just the right weight feels like
I want to feel attractive to a wider segment of the male population
I want to fit into great looking clothes and tight spaces
I want to not get so hot all the time under all this insulation
I want to not be jiggly all over

Those things and many more make me want to keep going!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

yeah i would keep going i know this sounds like im doing it for the wrong reasons ...... but im not too concerned with my health , its just that when i cant wear the clothes i want or enjoy shopping with my friends i feel like crying i want to lose weight so i can wear beautiful clothes and not have to worry about hunting for the big girl sizes .... i want to want to be seen .... i want people to think me attractive i sound pretty vain dont I ...im really not though ...
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I'd keep going. The health issue was a big factor in getting me kickstarted, but there are so many other great reasons to be a normal weight.

I don't think that people who have always been thin realize how much mental energy goes into being obese; the worrying about booths, what people think of what you order in a restaurant, whether you can find something decent to wear to an event you'd enjoy if you were thin but now dread. I don't want to do any of that anymore.

I married a guy who's shorter than me which I swore I would never do. I don't really need to add thinner than me to that equation.

And I love these questions, too.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I posted before - if the magic fat fairy waved her wand and you could **POOF** be skinny, could you maintain it or would you get heavy -- and it got a lot of responses...

my new question is: if the fat fairy **POOF** made all your aches and pains, health problems, and any chance of dying prematurely disappear...would you continue on the weight loss journey??

I thought about it and i think my answer would be no.... don't get me wrong, the "looking better" and clothes fitting is a nice by-product but not my motivation at all.

You guys??
Gosh, TRazey, I must have missed that first question and I'd like to address it. I used to ALWAYS wish, if only I could start out all over again and be skinny, that there would be no way on earth I would ever let myself get so fat again. I have no way of knowing if that would be the case. I think it would be now, at 43 years old, but I don't know what would have happened if I were younger.

Your new question. Man, that's a hard one. Because without a doubt my number one factor for losing the weight was my health. I was terrifed of dying and leaving my children motherless. I hated the inactvity and the limitations my weight put on me. If those were gone, I honestly don't know if I would have found the strength to do this.

I do know clothing was a huge factor for me as well. I was barely squeezing into the largest sizes at the plus sized store. I was sure if I didn't do something, there would be nothing, absolutely nothing for me to wear eventually. I hated always be the largest, yet shortest woman where ever I went. But, I just don't know.

Now that I've actually lost the weight and know just how marvelous it is to "feel" so average and regular sized, now that I know just how great it is to have a phenomenal wardrobe, now that I know just how great it feels to be thin - yes, but before it actually happened - I just don't know.

I also can't help but think that if this were the case for everyone, just not me, that there were no health issues involved, that there would even be MORE people that would be morbildy obese. So maybe society would have to make larger booths and stronger chairs . I'm thinking about this too much, aren't I.

Hey, that was a real commited answer, huh?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 7''

What a great question! Absolutely I would keep going....health and fitness were a concern but never my main motivation. Its shallow but I wanted the cute clothes, the fitness, the compliments and attention from men. I'd definitely keep going.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #7  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

My answer is yes,
Why? this is not just about pains, aches, living longer, but I really like being thinner, I can move faster, I like smaller size #'s on the scale and on my clothing labels, I like looking like everyone else, and I have to admit I like exercising( no matter how much I push myself), I like knowing i can do 45 minutes on the elliptical, 64 lbs ago I know I couldn't do 45 minutes on anything. So I would still loose the weight, no matter pain or no pain.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yep, I'd keep going....And, I wouldnt have to feel guilty about doing this to look good! Yes, I do want to get healthier, but looking good will be an especially great reward.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #9  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

I wonder whether your answer to this question could depend on whether you were ever 'thin' or even 'normal'-sized in the past. I had NEVER been a normal-sized adult, so I didn't have any past experiences to base this on. I didn't know the freedom that normal-sized people have and I had kinda fooled myself about the restrictions my size placed on me.

So, in saying that, I have a feeling that I wouldn't have lost this weight if health wasn't an issue. My first and foremost goal was to become healthier and have a potentially MUCH longer life. I had NO idea what other 'benefits' would come along and have been amazed at each and every one of them as they popped up. But without this forethought, many of us may have just not realised that we weren't living a 'normal' life. It is amazing how you can alter your life/lifestyle to compensate for being overweight.

Sorry, that was kinda long, and I'm still not sure I made a lot of sense, but I tend to type as I think and I just poured that all out. I hope it made sense to at least SOME of you.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Zelma, your post made perfect sense.

And, may I say, your before and after pictures are absolutely amazing! How have I missed reading your previous posts? Do you typically post somewhere else? I'm sure we could learn a lot from your journey. Congratulations!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #11  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Hi Rhonda,

I mainly only post on the 300+ board, but those posts have been few and far between lately as my life is becoming quite hectic. I have taken on some things that I have wanted to do for a LONG time (new role at work and joined a chorus) and I am LOVING this, but can't put as much time in here as I would like.

I sometimes post on other parts of the site, but it is a little erratic.

Thanks for your lovely comments about my pics. I sometimes go and have a look at them just to remind me where I have come from and just where I am now. I still don't have a great perception of what I look like now. I keep telling hubby that I LOVE seeing some of these mirrors that make you look slimmer than you really are and he has to reassure me that they are NOT 'trick' mirrors and that is actually what I look like.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #12  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

I would keep going, yes. I've never really had aches and pains, even at my highest weight. I've always been active and always been an exerciser, even though that was severely restricted by my size. There are two primary reasons:

1) I believe the body is not meant to be heavy. Our joints weren't built for it, our endocrine system can't maintain it, even our skin can't contain it. The body just looks wrong, to me, when it's heavy. And, frankly, it's not attractive (this opinion may be very influenced by the fact that I live in Southern California). I want to be attractive--I want the cute clothes, the appreciative glances, the flirty comments. Shallow, I know, but I WANT that.

2) It's so much easier now to exercise! I'm not even halfway through my journey, but it's sooo much easier and I'm having so much fun! I have fitness goals that I want to pursue, sports I want to try, and trips I want to go on. I want a body that can carry me gloriously through all of those experiences. As Thoreau said, "...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." I want a vibrant, full, happy, physical life that I can look back on with satisfaction, rather than being disappointed by all the things my fat made it impossible for me to do.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think that everyone who has been naturally normal weight throughout their lives should have to try this:

- Strap 40, 60, 80, 100 pounds or even more, on your body with some kind of vest, belt or what have you.
- Now get down on the floor on your hands and knees.
- Try to get back up on your feet again.
- Go for a walk from your front door to the street and back again.

Regardless of health, just being able to move has been a big motivation for me. I used to be very active, did martial arts, etc., and it all went away as my weight got higher.

Also, I was not pleased with how my body looked, even though I was healthy according to blood tests.

Yes, I would still lose the weight.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
Well I don't really have any aches and pains or health problems. I do have osteoarthritis in my left knee but it doesn't bother me anymore since I got physical therapy and have been taking glucosamine.

I'm not even worried about dying prematurely.

My worries are that one day I'd become immobile and my weight would catch up to me.

But other than that there are things I want to do in life that losing weight makes much easier.

- I don't want to fear plastic lawn chairs (although I think that fear will never leave me)
- I want to do long difficult hikes. Although even at my highest weight I did some hiking, I have noticed that hiking has become easier as I have lost weight.
- I want to try to do some rock climbing. I can't develop the upper body strength to support my body as it was and maybe not as it is. Once I lose more weight, I will try it.
- I don't want to be looked at being the fat girl or the fattest girl in the room or what not.
- I want to continue to shop in regular clothing sizes. It is awesome to be able to go into almost any store and be able to find clothes that fit me.
- I want to eat healthy. I feel a lot better when I eat healthier foods so I'd always try to eat healthier foods even if I never lost another pound doing it.
- I want to be able to be active and energetic. Losing weight has definitely given me more energy.

So if some magical fairy came up to me and said that she would rid me of any health concerns that I may ever have and I'd die peacefully at an old age no matter what I'd do, then yes I'd still try to lose weight, try to eat healthy and try to be active.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #15  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I was lucky too, I have never experienced any health problems related to my weight. I have some mild discomfort caused by heat and overexertion sometimes but never any recurring aches and pains. SO... I am pretty much doing this for aesthetic reasons! I left my husband about a year and a half ago and I am thinking about maybe looking for someone new, and I am just not getting the attention that I used to!
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote