Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 08:38 AM   #1  

Default ~~Thru Thick & Thin~~#140

~~Thru Thick & Thin~~#140

Thru Thick & Thin is a group that was formed to give and receive support on our journey to take off the excess pounds and to keep them off. No matter who you are or where you are from, you're welcome here with us. We'll stand with you while you're losing and stand by you if you're not. We all have ups and downs and we need support in both
Old 04-15-2002, 10:59 AM   #2  

G’morning All!
So I hope everyone was off having a good weekend. I was very lonely in here all alone!
Still cloudy today but I don’t think it is going to rain. It is supposed to be in the 70’s all week! With only one day of rain. My plan is to run home tomorrow and enjoy some of this weather. My running has been going well. I am now doing about 34 miles per week. I want to get to about 40 miles per week and then start working on increasing my speed. You can’t work on increasing speed and mileage at the same time or you could hurt yourself. Don’t want to do that.

Well we are finally going to get to see ET. We had been planning to see it for weeks but keep changing plans. Dh and I have made an official date for tonight. I sent him an e-invitation (a very cute pooh-bear one, I might add!). I am going to rush home after work and cook a nice pasta dinner (fresh pasta with a sauce made from LF ricotta, spinach, tomatoes, etc…) and then off to the movie. I am looking forward to it.

Marlana: Sounds like you have had some tough days. Hope this “vacation” week gets better! You deserve some fun times! You are right that this is a new week and that is all you should concentrate on.

As you know I love collection articles and sharing. So since this is a short post I’m going to include another one which has some helpful strategies.

Enjoy
Tobey

Food and Our Mood
By Lisa Drayer, MA, RD

Too often, we eat in response to feeling depressed, stressed, bored, anxious, or lonely. But there are ways to decrease the urge to binge on high-calorie foods when experiencing these feelings, which are serving as food triggers. The best way to do this is to get at the root of the problem: that is, get at the root of what’s eating you.

Below are some tips on coping with different feelings, which will help you avoid the urge to binge:

Depression

Indeed, feeling depressed over an external or internal event or can cause us to overeat. The best thing to do if you are feeling depressed is to speak with a mental health professional. He or she will be able to discuss your problem with you, and will be able to help you focus on coping. Exercise can help too—research shows that exercise helps to boost our endorphins, or “feel-good” hormones, ultimately improving our mood. The important (although difficult) aspect to recognize is that overeating in response to feeling down can cause us to feel worse.

Stress or Anxiety

Overeating in response to stress or anxiety can create more stress, especially as the number on the scale increases! If you tend to overeat when you feeling anxious, take time to stop and think about what is causing the anxiety. Is your husband driving you crazy? Are you awaiting a reimbursement in order to pay a bill? Do you have too much to do and too little time? Whatever it is, identify what is causing the anxiety, and think of realistic solutions. A solution that will immediately “take the edge off” is heading outside for a quick run (or walk) around the block.

Boredom

If you tend to overeat when you’re feeling bored, ask yourself which time of day this usually occurs. Does it occur at night when you’re flipping through television channels? On a Sunday afternoon when waiting for the laundry to be done? Depending on the time period, think of an activity you can do when you are bored, such as reading a magazine, or going shopping. Don’t forget, logging on to your favorite Web site is always an option!

Anger

If you are feeling angry, and overeating in response, ask yourself why. Did someone lie to you or hurt your feelings? Did you not get promoted at the job? If this is the case, turn the energy from your anger into positive energy. A good way to think of it is like this: Someone has hurt you, (your boss or your friend) so why should you give him or her the power to have control over your eating habits? Hasn’t he/she done enough harm already? Keeping these words in mind can help you cope with your anger, and can prevent you from bingeing.

Loneliness

Treat loneliness as you would treat boredom—that is, be sure to plan for times when you are most likely to feel lonely. Arrange activities to do with friends ahead of time. If the loneliness occurs suddenly, pick up the phone and call a friend. If no one is around, turn on the television or radio, or log onto your favorite Web site. DietWatch.com offers several support groups, depending on your needs. Registered Dietitians are available too, if you wish to receive one-on-one professional advice on your eating triggers.

20 Things You Can Do Instead of Eating

1. Read a book -- or your favorite fitness magazine
2. Search for a Web site, on a topic that is of interest to you but that you haven't had time to pursue
3. Go for a walk
4. Call or email a friend
5. Write in a journal
6. Go window-shopping
7. Play a game with your spouse, children, or pets -- whether it's Frisbee or fetch, checkers or chess
8. Do an exercise video, or hit the gym for aerobics, weightlifting, or yoga
9. Tackle some household chores: Dust, vacuum, balance the checkbook, etc.
10. Take a long bath or shower
11. Start your holiday gift list -- both gifts to give, and gifts to receive
12. Alphabetize your books, CDs, videotapes, spice rack...
13. Do some outside chores: Work in the garden, mow the lawn, rake leaves, or shovel snow
14. Meditate or pray
15. Work on a craft project that will keep your hands busy: knitting, needlepoint, painting, woodworking, etc.
16. Crank up your stereo and dance around the living room
17. Try on old clothes -- clothes that are now too big as well as clothes that are now too small
18. Research healthy recipes to prepare for the coming week, and make a shopping list
19. Brush your teeth, use a strong mouthwash, then pop in a piece of extra-minty gum
20. Start, or add to, a scrapbook of your weight loss journey. Include photos, motivational articles, and your own thoughts and feelings
Old 04-15-2002, 12:02 PM   #3  

Oh my gosh. It is going to be a wonderful day. I am so glad I am off! It's supposed to get up to 86 - a record. The sun is shining. What more could I ask for? It's not going to last though, by Friday, back to 55-60. This is really giving everything a jumpstart outside. I swear I can watch my bleeding heart grow. Like 3 inches a day! All the trees and bushes are full of budding leaves. Finally, some color around here.

My dear bf has gotten the crazy idea that we need to go to New York this fall, to see a West Point game (he went there) and a little sight seeing. Not only did he pick my weekend to work, (I don't want to jump the gun here) but I've applied for a teaching job at the community college and it's not likely that I'll be able to take a week off in the middle of the semester. I haven't even been called for an interview, so that might never happen anyway. But it's for teaching clinical, like on the job training for nursing students on a hospital unit. Actually, it's for LPNs and CNAs, but I have to start somewhere. It is something that I would like to do. If it falls through, I'm going to try to get into homecare. I may do both anyway! First though, I have to graduate.

Marlana- Oh honey, you have your hand full with hubby and daugher in law. Sometimes, that is the best part of being single, nobody else's crap. Sounds like you guys are also having a heck of a time trying to fish. Maybe I'll have to do some of that with grandpa this summer. No, I'm not lucky enough to be going through menopause yet. I have at least 20 yrs to go, but wishful thinking!

Tobey- I searched around on the net trying to find you a sun tea pitcher, but I couldn't. It's a glass "jug" with a plastic screw on lid. I think mine was somewhere in the $3-5 range at walmart. I could always send you one, but the shipping may be high, it's kind of heavy. Wow, 34 miles a week. I am impressed with that, let alone 40! Your article does have some helpful hints. My worst time is in the evening, like after 7pm. That's when I really need to work on keeping myself busy. It's a good thing I work second shift!

That must be about it for today. I have a few things I want to take care of in the yard today, like weed and get the garden area ready.

Jen
Old 04-15-2002, 03:15 PM   #4  
Senior Chick

Talking

Hey Everyone

I have been out working in my yard all morning and have a really bad case of Spring Fever. I just want to plant, plant, plant. The bad thing is that by July, I won't even want to go outside long enough to water things. It will be so hot by then and the bugs will be biting.

Marlana~The blood bank loves me and calls me a lot to donate platelets. That reminds me that we made and appointment to do that in a couple of weeks and I forgot to put it on the calendar. I got dizzy this time after giving a pint of blood though. It went on all evening too but the next day I was fine. It gives me an excuse not to get into any strenuous work after giving a pint of blood. Not so with giving the platelets though. They put the blood back in, only without the platelets and there are no side effects. I just have to lay still for about 80 minutes with one arm not in use. I hope that you have a good week fishing. Our friends from New York are treating us to another day on the river with the bass guide. I am so excited about going again. The legal limit of bass has been dropped back down to 14" so we might even keep some this time.

JoJo~I am glad that you are feeling better but you know you aren't supposed to have a party by yourself!!! You would feel good here right now because everything is different shades of green and the flowers are blooming like crazy. I am going to attach a picture of my little yellow tea rose that I took on Saturday. I am trying to get some pink roses rooted right now that are an old type that does well here in Florida. It is more resistant to bugs and disease. Good luck with the inhalers. I highly recommend them to quit. I had tried everything else on the market and was finally successful with the inhaler.

Tobey~I don't do a lot of flowers here but just enough to give the yard some color. I spend more time encouraging flowering bushes to grow and be healthy. I usually just have a few pots of geraniums and begonias hanging or sitting through out the plant beds. A good friend gave me two rose bushes last year and that is one of the ones that I am going to attach a picture of blooming. She is also the person that gave me so many daisy plants. I have no idea what kind of daisy they are but I will attach a picture of them blooming in my next post. I read the instruction book on the camera and the pictures are a little better. When all else fails, read the instructions. That picture of the kitten was adorable. That was also a good article. I haven't figured out yet why I overeat. You have known me long enough to know that I am not angry, depressed or bored. I just love the taste of food. I keep myself really busy most days but as soon as I slow down, I start munching. I keep all low fat, fat free and sugar free snacks in the house but have discovered that you can gain weight on those. I sure need something to motivate me. If you can find any kind of gallon glass jug with a lid, it will work for sun tea. Just fill it with water and tea bags and let it sit in the sun most of the day. Either find a spot that gets sun all day or move it with the sun.

Jen~You sound so ambitious and energetic with your work. I hope that you get the teaching job. It sounds like a good one and makes me thing of ER. I love that show and have found it on TNT every morning for 2 hours. I find myself not wanting to do anything for those two hours except watch the old reruns. This time of year would be good to take in the sights in New York. All the cherry trees are blooming now and is said to be beautiful. Of course there would be no game to watch but you would still have fun.

Y'all have a good evening. I am going to go to the front porch and read and watch my plants grow.
Old 04-15-2002, 06:32 PM   #5  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Red face

Good Morning~~I hope you all know that hubby is on vacation this week and we are spending a lot of time on the water trying to catch some fish. It seems everything is against us for some reason. We've been going to Low Water Damn, and they just aren't there. This morning we decided to go to Ill. River and I'll be a monkey's uncle if the lake wasn't up until we couldn't even get close to the boat ramp. So hubby being the sweet old man he is, refused to go back to the Low Water Damn this morning, so I'm home today. I've had some bad days since I was here last. Talked to myself for a couple of days, I answered too. In-law daughter trying to force us to take her son fishing, I ended up having a few choice words to say to my son, and She is the one pushing us. Anyway it upsets me until I can't even function. I've sort of settled down now, but next week end it will start all over again. I've been eating too much again. Trying again today to line the eating back out. God help us all!

Jen~~Girl are you trying to tell us that you thank you are starting into menopause? If so, I can tell you it happens. I don't have rhubarb, I've heard it is really good. Don't know why we don't have it, we've tried everything else. Hubby mowed the yard yesterday. He throwed most of the stuff up on the patio for me to put away. He don't do anything completely like I've always done. Gets on my nerves. He won't spray weed killer in the fence line either. I don't like weeds in my chain link fence. Young men are bad, but old men, gosh oh gee, they turn into something altogether different.

[COLOR=blue]Skeeter~~Girl you must not be too fat if they will take your blood. Sometimes over weight people's blood is too sticky and they don't want it. Right now I'm thanking I don't want anymore fish to clean up after. My two babies are still alive and they look like they are growing. Most likely if they make it log enough they will turn in to males, and I don't want anymore males. I cleaned house yesterday until I couldn't hardly move. This place gets in such a mess so fast. Hubby had decided to invite his parents down to spend the night and of course that was the end of it for him, but for me I had to hit it trying to get things in shape. Turned out they aren't coming because of their dog. They know I don't want it here. The dog is hyper and won't stay off of you. Drives me crazy.

Tobey and Jo Jo....I'll be back to write to you, I just remembered something, I got a email from my ISP and they are fixing to work on something and I will be off line for a while. I thank I'll get back this afternoon.

It's now 5:30 in the evening now.....
I'm back!!! Good Evening Now~~I was in such a hurry to get what I wrote this morning posted before I got knocked off line I posted it on the wrong thread. Skeeter got me straightened out. Sorry about that. I guess the ISP got done what ever they was going to do.

[COLOR=orangered] Jo Jo~~Glad to hear your hubby is home from the Hospital, hope all is ok. You can quit those cigs, that addiction takes a second seat to the eating one. Eating addictions is the hardest of all and stopping smoking is second. Hang in there, I can tell you that the smoke really bothers a person with asthma. Sure helped me when hubby stopped smoking which has been about 3 years ago now. When you get knocked off line with AOL do you lose the page you have up at the time. If not you could just finish what you are writing and then copy and get back on line and go back to the 3fc's site and reply and paste it in. You wouldn't lose it that way.

[COLOR=crimson]Tobey~~We are having great weather too. Well it really is getting a little warm in the afternoons. I have mangaged not to turn on the air yet. Hubby has nothing wrong with his kidneys. surprise surprise Now he has decided that there is something wrong with his tummy because he has such bad breath all of a sudden. Poor boy has a empty tummy some of the time and I'm sure you all know that makes for bad breath. He just come in from the garden with a bucket full of aspargus. How do you roast it??? Love your new quote and the cute pics your attaching.

I thank that gets everyone answered I started to write when I had to leave this morning.

Darn it the color is messed up, but it's going to stay that way.

Last edited by Marlana; 04-15-2002 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:37 AM   #6  

Good morning!

What a truly beautiful day. The sun is actually shining and we have an expected high of 88F today. I don’t remember the last time I heard the term “hot and humid” in April!! Suits me just fine. I am really looking forward to the run home (good thing I packed shorts!), I wish I could leave right now. I think I am going to have to sneak out on my lunch and get in a quick walk as well!

Jen: Hope you enjoyed your day off. Our weather is supposed to change come the weekend – which seems about right especially since the MS walk is this weekend. I love bleeding hearts. They remind me of home – they grow like crazy at my mom’s. The trip to NY sounds like fun … if it fits. And hey, good luck on that teaching job! That would be a fantastic opportunity for you!! I’m going to search around here to see if I can find something that would work as a sun pitcher. Shipping from the US is insanely expensive!!!!!

Skeeter: Isn’t this just an amazing time of year? If I had my own yard, I would be out planting, planting, planting as well. I can’t for the day that we have our own house. I long for my own veggie patch, herb garden, and flowers. Ahhhh love to day dream. (I won’t think about taxes, repairs, etc…) Your rose is so pretty. Can’t wait to see the daisy. That is my MIL favourite flower. They grow wild everywhere around where my mom lives. Can’t even tell you how many daisy bouquets I picked as a kid. It was always daisy, black-eyed Susans, and of course dandelions. I’m not really an emotional eater either (although I do eat out of boredom). I have to admit that I LOVE food. My biggest challenge when I lost my weight was portion sizes and not eating when I wasn’t hungry. I am also a very bad social eater!!

Marlana: Glad to hear that hubby is alright (at least for the most part)… A bucket full of asparagus? I’ll be right there. I don’t mind cooking! What would you like? Asparagus soup? Omelette? Salad? Pasta? Okay since I can’t get hop on the next plane, I’ll get let you know how to roast it. First toss the spears with a little olive oil and salt – or you can just use some cooking spray and a pinch of salt tossed (this is normally what I do to cut down the fat). Then you can either do on a BBQ for about 5 minutes or so or you can roast them in a 400F oven for about 20 – 25 minutes. That’s it! This is my favourite way to have them. As I mentioned in an early post – the leftovers are great as an omelette filling.

Well I think that is everyone! Enjoy the sunshine!

Tobey
Old 04-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #7  
Senior Chick

Angry

Hey Everyone

It sure got hot here today and everywhere else around the eastern area of the country today. The morning shows were saying that it was supposed to get up to 90 in New York City today. Last week they were still wearing coats on those shows.

Marlana~I hope you get to do some fishing with the warm weather that you are getting now. The weather show said that it was supposed to be in the 80's in your state today too. Maybe you'll start getting some green trees soon. I was surprised to see so many bare trees along the river where you fish in those pictures. I am so used to seeing green trees all year round. It just gets greener in the spring.

Tobey~I also am a social eater and I just enjoy eating. I can't seem to get my portions under control even though I am eating the right kinds of foods right now. I am attaching a picture of the daisies that I planted. I don't know what kind they are but they are very hardy and bloom until the temps actually hit freezing. I planted them as a border along the whole west side of my house and about half of the back of the house. We have the whole house bordered with rocks and I planted these just inside the rocks. It looks really good. I'll try to attach a couple more pictures of the landscaping as I post this week.

It is getting late and I think that I will read for a while. Y'all have a good evening.
Old 04-17-2002, 02:26 PM   #8  

Thumbs down

Hi All

Well I had a good/bad day yesterday. First the good – What a beautiful summer day! It felt like the middle of summer. It really put everyone into a good mood. So I was looking forward to my run home. This is where it starts to get bad I was only about ½ a mile into my 11.5 mile run when a pigeon decided that I looked like a fun moving target. Yep – he had good aim. He nailed a small part of my shirt, hand, and then a big part of my shorts and bare leg!!! Needless to say it was a “crappy” run home. Then even worse, with this huge weather shift, I ended up with one heck of a migraine. I spent 2 hours last night on our bathroom floor crying – not a pretty sight! At least I did feel better this morning.

Skeeter: I love your daisies! They are so cute!! Our weather is normally not too far off from NY (just a few degrees colder). Toronto is right across the border from Buffalo. Your landscaping sounds so beautiful. My mom has rock gardens set up all around in her yard. One is filled with strawberries and a cherry tree, another has herbs, and another 2 or 3 are just flowers. She definitely has a green thumb. Mine seems to be very brown. Although I am very proud, I have one plant now that has actually lasted over a year! When I left my last job back in Feb/01 for my current job, they gave me a beautiful plant basket that had a peace lily, ivy, African violet and a bunch of other plants that I don’t know the names of. Slowly everything died off – except for my peace lily. It is doing well and has even started flowering again. A first for me.

Hmmm guess that’s it for now.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine!

Tobey
Old 04-17-2002, 08:24 PM   #9  

Hey, guess who? I've missed you guys. Missed my puter to. My old monitor sizzled and went out on Saturday. Dh finally got me one today. I was so tempted to come in an post from work but I was so afraid of getting caught so I didn't even try.

My new monitor is so nice and big compared to the old one. And so bright. I really didn't want to have to buy a new one although I had been looking before the old one went out. I tried to find a used one but after I get the rebate money back, well, I couldn't beat getting this one.

Tobey, it is really nice here to, in the 80's. I love it. Wish it would stay just like this. I could totally skip the hot and humid weather of summer and be perfectly content. There sure seem to be alot of bugs going around. So many people have been out sick from work lately and I've had my share of sinus headaches.

Skeeter, I tried to email you from work to let you know about my monitor but I just couldn't get your email right. And I couldn't get into my aol address book to get it. I was looking at my pitiful front yard tonight trying to think of something I could do to spruce it up. The mound of dirt has to go down first. Its down pretty far. For one thing, we'll be putting in new grass seed. Your tea rose sure is pretty.

Jen, have you heard anything from that job you put in for yet? I hope you get it or something similar to it since its more what you are wanting.

Marlana, I hope you are having a good week fishing. I know its one thing you really love to do. You stick to your guns about taking the grankids with you. You deserve to fish without them once in awhile. Sounds like you do tons enough for them anyway. Your grankids are lucky to have you. I didn't realize the ILL river went clear into OK. I don't live to far from it myself.

Well, I'm going to get going now. I'm so tired tonight. I really had to force myself to get out of bed and go to work this morning. I finally told myself to "get your a$$ to work". It was hard but I managed. Its just been a long week.

Take care everyone.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:44 PM   #10  
~~Senior Member~~Really

Hi All~~I don't have a lot of time for writing but wanted to drop in and say hi....Fishing was somewhat better today, we caught 56, it's got to get better than that. I'm so tired now I can hardly see. Going to bed at 8:30.

Jo Jo~~Sorry I didn't even get to tell everyone about your message to them, YOU BEAT ME HERE!!! I had to get a new monitor a few months ago too. I got a bigger one and I sure like it better. Yep, I live about 20 miles from it. It also ends in Okla. It dumps into the navigation channel that this state built years ago. We can go by boat all the way to the Ocean. We can get on the channel about 15 miles from here and go to New Orleans. We use to talk about doing that, but have no desire to do so anymore.

Tobey~~You talk about running 11 miles like I would going to the mailbox, except I couldn't run to the mailbox and still be able to breath when I got there. I know about bird DO DO, we have Canadian geese that stay here the year round and they are always on the water ways. Once some went over head and got us. They carry quite a load. One of my favorite birds in the whole world though. They are so pretty. Tried the asparagus roasted tonight, it was so good. I cooked in the rotisserie, it has a basket. We both loved it. I had a Omelet yesterday morning. It is so nice right now. The spears are as big as hubby's thumb. Hubby is 6'2" tall and has a big thumb.

Skeeter~~It is getting too hot here already. It starts getting hot out on the water about 11:00 A.M. Those pics you sent me of your flowers and yard is so pretty. My yard is green but no flowers. I've seen those little oak thingies here. They dry up in a few days don't they? I love daisies, I used to have them when I lived in Tulsa. I have too much shade here for them. Roses I don't seem to have any luck with, but I love them. Do you have the kind that smell really good? We are going fishing again tomorrow, but the wind liked to of blowed us out of the water today. We are thanking of going Crappie fishing. They are one good fish to eat. Rain is suppose to set in here tomorrow night. If it wasn't for bad luck we wouldn't have any at all. Today just after we come off the river and onto the highway, a light weight jacket blowed out of the boat caught a rod and reel and took it out too. Hubby had just bought the rod. A truck driver caught up with us and told us. We went back and found them both. Not much damage done to the rod. I guess that was good luck.

I said I was going to get to bed at 8:30 so good night to all.
Boy that work they done on my ISP's system sure hasn't helped me any. I had to get off line and get back on the post this, If I get it posted.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:34 PM   #11  
Senior Chick

Talking

Hey Everyone

Not a very exciting day here but a nice and quiet one. I got all my fish tanks cleaned today and rested until time for church. I wanted to get something posted before I went to bed.

Marlana~I'm glad that you caught some fish today. How many fish do you want to catch in one day? 56 sounds like a boat load to me. I am perfectly happy to catch a handful each time that I go fishing. I can't even imagine catching that many fish. I especially can't imagine cleaning that many fish. I am sure looking forward to our fishing trip on Friday. It's really going to be hot though. I got sunburned and pealed the last time we went. Those oak things do dry up and break up in about a month to 6 weeks. It seems a lot longer when the dogs stay covered with them. I have one yellow rose plant that I am trying to save and get to bloom again that smells like heaven.

Tobey~I probably wouldn't have any plants or flowers at all if it wasn't for my husband. He takes care of everything after I plant them. I design all the landscaping and decide what to plant where. I plant the small stuff and he plants the big stuff. He does most of the care for everything. I only go out once a month and fertilize some of the flowering plants. I have killed one peace lily and working on the second one. My dh says that I over-care for plants. I only have two live plants in the house because I kill them all. That's why we worked out the system that we have. I think that your mom and I would enjoy each other's yards. We also have done all of the plant beds and around the house in rock. I'll attach a picture of a portion of the front of the screen room showing the rocks outlining the plant beds.

JoJo~It terrible to do without a computer but wonderful to get a new and bigger monitor. I want a new one but can't afford one. My new computer didn't have a monitor with it so I had to use the old 14" one. It's better than nothing though. I was always curious why companies make the computers accessible to the internet but then don't want the employees to go there. When I worked, my company only had their own website that we could browse through. We had no access outside of that. Our email was all internal also. But it was better than nothing.

It's late and I am getting very sleepy. It's time to read awhile before I go to sleep. Y'all have a good day tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:55 PM   #12  

Good evening gals. I'm just trying to wind down before I hit the hay. I had classes all day. What a waste of a beautiful day. But I guess there will be plenty of those this summer! I had to have my neighbor fix my lawn mower today. I'm not sure what the problem was, but it sure is nice to have a handyman living next door. Now tomorrow I'll be lucky enough to be able to mow my yard before it storms in the afternoon. But from what I've heard, it's supposed to be some pretty severe storms. I love that. Work has already called me to stay late both tomorrow and friday night. Since I have to do my ACLS recertification Friday afternoon, I'll probably only stay Friday night. Otherwise, If I'm up all night thurs, I'll be too tired and lose that valuable hour before cram session in the afternoon. Heck, the re-cert is the reason they are so short, the nurses who would normally work those nights are off completely for it, I'm still working my regular hours, and they want me to do extra on top of it?!?! Not likely. Bust my butt so someone else has it easy, excuse me. They must think I'm insane.

Marlana- You caught 56 fish and you think it needs to get better than that? What kind of fish do you get? Do you actually clean that many? Man, oh man.

Jojo- I haven't heard anything from that job yet. I'm probably going to call tomorrow or friday and try to make them schedule an interview. I've got one of the cardiologists and the case manager who served as my preceptor as references, so if I don't get this one, I will eventually.

Tobey- Oh what a run. That happened to me once when I was laying out in the backyard. Luckily, it was only the back of my leg. My grandma got it once on her forehead and glasses. YUK! I get those same terrible migraines with shifts in the weather. I had forgotten all about that. Now I'm not sure if I want the rain tomorrow.

Skeeter- I must be in Florida. Yesterday we had a record high of 90! Damn! Your flowers are beautiful. I have shasta daisies in my front yard. And I think I have the same yellow tea rose in the back yard. I'm still itching to plant outside, but after tomorrow, the temps will be 55-65 for the next week, so it's safest to wait a bit yet.

I guess that is enough for today. I'm getting terribly tired, and I need to get up early to take the dog in for her check-up tomorrow.

Healthy and happy,

Jen
Old 04-18-2002, 03:29 PM   #13  

Hello All

What can I say but it is yet another beautiful summer day here again today. I came to work in a pair of shorts and a summer blouse. To think, I was wearing a winter jacket last week – crazy

Although, I am sad today after hearing about the US pilot who accidentally bombed our army killing 4 and injuring 8. I think stuff like that really hits home hard as my bil used to be in the army. He was there until he was shot while peacekeeping in former Yugoslavia. He survived but had permanent damage to his legs so he was discharged. Now he has a nice safe job as a software engineer in Boston.

Jojo: Oh I was worried that your monitor was about to go. It had the same “symptoms” as our monitor just before it died. Glad everything is up and running again. How is hubby doing? I agree – I could live with this weather year round.

Marlana: Glad you had a chance to stop in. I was thinking about you when I came across a recipe for a FF Cream of Asparagus soup recipe. I’ll attach it to the bottom of this post. I know all about Canadian geese as well!! We live right on the lake and there are tons year round. Yes the make awful mess! Good thing they are so beautiful or they would be in big trouble. So I suppose I would rather have a pigeon crap on me than a goose. Gee, thanks for helping me see the bright side of it.

Skeeter: Another beautiful picture! I’m so jealous. That’s a great deal you have worked out with your hubby! Unfortunately I think my hubby’s thumb is even blacker than mine. Oh well I’ll just have to keep him busy with other chores

Jen: Your Wednesdays are always so crazy! It would be nice to have a handyman next door! It would be even nicer to have one at home but what are you going to do? You also helped me see the bright side of my bird story – at least it wasn’t my face. YUCK!

Well I will soon start my rowing – I’m very excited about that. Tonight is our kick off meeting where everyone is going to meet. We had almost 75 people sign up. I think there are 10 people on my team.

Must be off…

Tobey

Fat-free cream of asparagus soup with herbs

8 cups water
2 large vegetable or chicken bouillon cubes
1 large bunch of asparagus (about 24 spears), rinsed and thick ends trimmed
Half of a medium onion, roughly chopped
1 large stalk celery, roughly chopped
2 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
A few sprigs each of dill, parsley, or other fresh herbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Place water and bouillon cubes in a large saucepan. Cut tips from asparagus and set aside. Chop remaining spears in 1-inch pieces, and add to water in saucepan along with onion and celery. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Add rice. Purée in batches in a blender until smooth. Place in a large bowl or another pot after each batch is blended. Be careful not to fill blender more than halfway. Mixture will be hot. Add herbs while blending. Return soup to saucepan, add asparagus tips, and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with additional herbs, if desired.

Servings: 6 to 8.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:34 PM   #14  

Hello everyone.

I've been home all day. My stomach is giving me fits. Well, I won't go into it but I've felt better.

Tobey, its been up in the mid 80's here today. DH has already turned the a/c on. Seems so early but its a little stuffy out to. DH is doing better but he still gets out of breath when he does something that takes alot of energy but even that isn't as bad as it was. I'm thinking dh needs a less strenuous line of work. Your soup sounds so good. I may have to try it.

Jen, Dh has mowed the lawn twice so far. The first time he had it set up higher than normal so he knew he'd have to do again in a few days. I bet you'll be so happy when all your classes are over. I don't blame you for not wanting to work extra hours. Sounds like you've got enough on your plate as it is.

Skeeter, I wanted a new and bigger monitor but couldn't justify the money for one plus being able to afford it. (Dh says my anniversary presents are mounting between the ring and my monitor). But it was either do without the puter or buy one. He laughed at me Sunday night when I walked in and hugged the puter and told it I missed it. Well, I did!! Your flowers are so pretty. I have one lone tulip that came up where they dug up our front yard. I'm kinda itching to go look at flowers to plant.

Marlana, you have better luck fishing than my dh does. He very seldom catches a thing the few times he throws a line out. I've had trouble with my food lately to. Just to many temptations at work and sometimes its like its another person eatting all this junk. I'm thinking I'm going to have to start some kind of exercise-gag gag-before I am able to do better with the food. For some reason, exercise tends to help me with my eatting. Now if I can just make myself do it.

Well, I'm going to get off here now so I can figure something out for supper. Take care everyone.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:22 AM   #15  

Hi All

I woke up this morning to a wicked thunderstorm. At first I couldn’t figure out why there were strobe lights going off in the living room. Then I realized it was lighting! The great part is that it stormed overnight and early morning but was done by the time I left for work – leaving us with another beautiful day. Although, it looks like today is the end of the summer weather. Tomorrow there is a high of only 52. Oh well, I guess it only spring after all.

Jojo: Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles. Dh has been going through that for the past 2 days – NO FUN!!! Glad you still made it in to post. Has your hubby thought about switching jobs? He was really enjoying his new job, wasn’t he? Hope you feel better soon.

Well guess that’s it for now.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!! I should be able to get in and post on Saturday but probably not on Sunday. In the morning I have a 10K Fun Run in support of MS and then in the afternoon I have volunteered to go to a nursing home. Our church is running the service there that day, and I have offered to come and help with residents. Sunday will be a day full of good deeds!

Tobey
Closed Thread