Old 10-09-2007, 05:00 PM   #1  

Default Question about Alternative Bars

Can someone tell me why the Special K Protein snack bars are not a good substitute for the Lites, while the Meal bars are?

I have decided to go with the Lites (or some alternative) after getting advice here, but there is only one flavor I can tolerate...peanut butter. My mom is diabetic and was told to eat the Special K snack bars. They are much healthier than the Lites when comparing nutritional information. So, I'm curious why the snack bars are not okay.

Also, do those of you who use Luna bars recommend them? The Amazon special is hard to pass up. But, I've never even heard of them before coming to this site.
Dee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #2  
LAWL Salt Police

Protein content may be a factor.. You need something with at least 8g... Not sure how the special K bars stack up...

I like the South Beach diet cereal bars.. They come in chocolate, peanut butter and oatmeal raisin (I think).. They are 150 calories, have 10g of fiber and taste fantastic...

Hint for the lites.. Microwave the PB bars for about 15 seconds and eat with a fork.. Talk about tasty! Same goes for the smores...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207.6/196.6/145

Wow Dan, That sound wonderful. I will definately have to try that. Thanks for the tip.
Kim0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #4  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

I'll be doing my amazon order later on this week. I'm about 4 boxes short of lites to make it through maintenance and I'm gradually weaning off. For the luna's I usually go with Cookies and Cream, Lemon Zest, or the Choc Peppermint Stick. the S'mores arent' too bad either.

Like Dan, I actually love the South Beach High Protein bars. The cinnamon raisin are my favorite. I can give or take the chocolate but the peanut butter are pretty good too.

Also, the Zone advantage bars are pretty tasty too. Their chocolate mint and coconut almond totally trump the lites.

It's really a matter of taste, after a while you realize what works best for you too.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2112 View Post
Protein content may be a factor.. You need something with at least 8g... Not sure how the special K bars stack up...

I like the South Beach diet cereal bars.. They come in chocolate, peanut butter and oatmeal raisin (I think).. They are 150 calories, have 10g of fiber and taste fantastic...

Hint for the lites.. Microwave the PB bars for about 15 seconds and eat with a fork.. Talk about tasty! Same goes for the smores...
Hey Dan

If you are not on a program using the Lites and want to use an occasional SB cereal bar as a treat, do you count them as a starch and a fruit? I need a snack sometimes, can't have soy and was going to check out the SB Cereal Bars since you and others on this board rave about them.

Thanks
Roberta

Last edited by shshshhh; 10-10-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: made a mistake in the question
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

I like to nuke the double chocolate lites for the 15 seconds and then add 1 serving of fat (almonds or pecans) and some cool whip to top it off. Brownie sundae anyone?

week 40
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 50 lbs.
Motto - My new motto is - I know how this _______ tastes. I have had it before. I will have it again someday, just not today……..
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #7  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

OMG, Brownie Sundae! What torture!!! Yummy!!!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM   #8  

This version of brownie sundae is on program so plan for it and enjoy!!!!!

week 40
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 50 lbs.
Motto - My new motto is - I know how this _______ tastes. I have had it before. I will have it again someday, just not today……..
Old 10-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #9  
LAWL Salt Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by shshshhh View Post
Hey Dan

If you are not on a program "without lites" and want to use an occasional SB cereal bar as a treat, do you count them as a starch and a fruit? I need a snack sometimes, can't have soy and was going to check out the SB Cereal Bars since you and others on this board rave about them.

Thanks
Roberta

I'm actually on a plan that calls for lites, but all of our LAWL shops closed down because the franchise owner ran the business into the ground.. Even though I had bought bulk lites, Liz and I were left with no way to get them.. It's a long story.. sigh...

I've done a lot of homework investigating what bars would work best for me.. I've found Luna Bars, but not "by the box" and I don't feel like grabbing a handfull of them each week. The Zone perfect bars have a lot of protein, but they are also higher in calories, carbs and sodium.. The Special K bars are a good choice, but I didn't like the taste as much..

As far as I'm concerned, the SB cereal bars are like eating rice crispie treats, but drizzled in chocolate or peanut butter (God's greatest gift to mankind, as far as I'm concerned )
Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #10  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

:O WOW Lynn Thanks I didnt know that!!!!
bradleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

Default Dan - I made a mistake in my question - (DUH) could you check this post?

Quote:
I'm actually on a plan that calls for lites, but all of our LAWL shops closed down because the franchise owner ran the business into the ground.. Even though I had bought bulk lites, Liz and I were left with no way to get them.. It's a long story.. sigh...

I've done a lot of homework investigating what bars would work best for me.. I've found Luna Bars, but not "by the box" and I don't feel like grabbing a handfull of them each week. The Zone perfect bars have a lot of protein, but they are also higher in calories, carbs and sodium.. The Special K bars are a good choice, but I didn't like the taste as much..

As far as I'm concerned, the SB cereal bars are like eating rice crispie treats, but drizzled in chocolate or peanut butter (God's greatest gift to mankind, as far as I'm concerned )
Dan - I have tried the SB bars before and loved them (a while ago before I started LAWL). I made a mistake in my question - I am on Red1 WITHOUT Lites (My question said I was on the plan with lights, I apologize). If I have a bar, do I count them as a fruit and a starch? I seem to remember on one of the threads, someone saying that but could not find it when I searched for the answer. Since you are one of my heros ehre on the boards with your amazing success, I thought you would know the answer.

Thanks again
Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #12  
Katy66

Height: 5'6"

Lynn - the "brownies" sound wonderful. I'll have to try that.

Dan - Thanks for the tip on the south beach bars. I'm getting low on the lites I purchased and really don't want to invest that kind of money in more. I've been "stretching" my bars by substituting Lunas occassionally so this might be a good alternative. I'll give them a try.
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #13  
LAWL Salt Police

Honestly, Roberta.. I'm not sure how to count them if you don't have them on your plan.. Sorry to let you down there... That said, I'm sure someone else here knows the definative answer...

Thanks Katy.. Give them a shot.. The chocolate ones dunked in coffee are really, really good...
Old 10-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #14  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

LOL about the Luna box Dan. I actually pick up one of the open "single sale" boxes and start "stuffing" it until its full with what I want in it. There's not that much different in the cost, but I had rather pick what I want than just what they offer in the bulk box (which is about 2 choices where I shop).

That gives me a week supply at ~ $15.00 vs. $32.00 at LAWL.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #15  

Hi Roberta,
I had never heard of substituting a fruit and a starch in place of a lite or a lite substitute. This is my understanding here - On the color coded plans a starch is about 50 calories and a fruit is 60 or so calories so you would be short on calories which is not a big deal, but the real purpose of the lites, as I understand it, is to be a good protein source. You would be missing that extra protein component of the menu plan. I know, I know they are high in sugar, but after all protein is the key here.

Dan - what about the luna special for October at Amazon that Suzanne 3FC told us about? 15 bars for $15.09 plus free shipping. Ok you have to buy them 1 flavor to a box, but I thought I would mention it again in case someone had not seen it.

week 40
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 50 lbs.