Old 10-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #1  

Default Do I 'need' the lites?

I have to decide before Monday if I want to start the program with them, so I am doing lots of research. I am trying to figure out if they really help with weight loss, or are they simply a filler and moneymaker?

I have sampled a few, and they are just okay, IMO. I am not totally opposed to them and understand the costs, but I don't want to take something that is not a really important part of the program. I have read about the other options to the bars and can consider them, but I'm still not sure if I really need anything else.

The main reason I am even considering them is the full effect. I am afraid I will be hungry on the plan if I don't opt to include them.

Thanks so much for any thoughts!
Dee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #2  
Liza - LAWL since 6/17/07

Height: 5'4"

I think if it's not going to cause you harm financially, you should try the program with the lites. I do not have any sweet cravings at all when I am on them. People bring cakes, donuts, all of that stuff into work and I'm not tempted in the slightest bit. Sometimes we have more of a sweet tooth than we thought.

You can always change the plan and do without them if you don't think they're worth it. I wouldn't buy a year supply in bulk or anything. Buy maybe a months worth in bulk and see how that feels and if you've lost the amount of weight that would make it worth it.

Good luck!
lizababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #3  

From what I understand the "lites" are similar nutritionally speaking to my daughter's beloved Luna Bars, which are available at the regular stores -- I would definitely compare the nutritional ingredients label, and PRICE before committing to buy those. They might just be regular Luna bars with a $$ mark-up.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #4  
LAWL Salt Police

I found them to be invaluable to my weight loss, as they kept me from hitting the vending machine. Timed just right, they really helped kill cravings and hunger pangs in the morning and afternoon...

You'll need to buy them if you want the rebate program, but other than that, you can try it with cheaper alternatives...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

I agree totally with what Dan said. The lites have helped me to not feel deprived when I skipped pies, cookies, cake, you name it. The lites enabled me to avoid all the temptations that I otherwise would have had to battle my inner voice that would have been saying "just have it, you deserve it, it won't hurt you." For years and years, my hardest time of the day to stay on program was mid to late afternoon. On this program, you plan your snacks (fruits, lites, yogurt, etc) so you are prepared with something that tastes good and is a substitute for other things that you might unconsciously pop into your mouth.

Not everyone uses the lites or lite substitutes. Only you know what is best for you. If you don't choose to use them, they will put you on a food plan that is more food to make up for the calories that you would have been getting from using the lites.

If you decide to purchase lites, they will probably offer you 3 bulk options when buying them. If you buy lites, you might want to buy the smallest bulk option. Centers offer "special pricing" on lites from time to time and you can buy more at a future date.

week 39
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 49 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #6  
Tina

Height: 5'5"

I use the lites but I have a huge sweet tooth and find that they are really helpful for me. I really only like the caramel ones though. If I want something different I use the luna bars instead and they're much cheaper. I didn't let them talk me into the bulk option because I simply don't have that kind of cash to pay up front. I just pay as I go or buy the Luna bars. I guess you know yourself if you need something sweet to get through the day.
Ternoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:12 AM   #7  

Thanks, everyone. I would like to compare the nutrition information with that of the luna bars, but I have only been given samples. The samples of the lites don't show any information.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/199/145

Height: 5'7"

I only used the lites for 4 days (I was given a box of samples) and from what I remember, there were 180 calories, about 2 g fiber, I remember 3.5 g saturated fat and 9 g protein. I really can't afford the bars, but even if I could, I wasn't that impressed with the nutrition content. The Luna bars seem to be better for you.

That said, having had both, I think the LA lites bars taste better and may help people stay on plan, because they aren't as tempted with sweets.

IMO, if you have the money and you have a sweet tooth, go ahead and get them. If you don't, tell the center that you want a plan without lites and they will put you on a plan with more food (that's what I am doing). They may not like that, but remember they want to sell you product so their opinion is not entirely unbiased. I wouldn't argue with them about the merit of the bars - I would just say you can't afford them (even if that's not the case) and leave it at that.
jean2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #9  
LAWL: Gold -> Blue Plan

S/C/G: S:158/G:139

I personally did the same comparison and have stopped using the lights.. I feel there is too much sugar in them and there are other bar alternatives which are less expensive and have higher nutritional value (more fiber, more protein, less sugars). Here is a comparison for you:

LA Lite Bars:

calories: 170
calories from fat: 35
fat: 3.5
sat fat: 3
cholesteral: 5
sodium: 75
potassium: 90
carbs: 30
fiber: 1
sugars: 16
protein: 8
calcium: 6%
iron: 4%

Kashi Chewy Granola:
calories: 120
fat: 2
sodium: 75
carbs: 24
fiber: 4
sugars: 8
protein: 5
iron: 6%

luna bars:
calories: 180
fat: 6
sodium: 150
potassium: 200
carbs: 23
fiber: 3
sugars: 9
protein: 10
ooodsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #10  

Thank you!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 207.6/196.6/145

WOW! You guys are making me feel deprived!!! I couldn't do the bars due to medical reasons.
I do want something sweet every now and then so I have to have a Special K bar or South Beach Maple Nut Bar. I do not do it daily but figured it was better than go to the vending machine as Dan said. I was writting it in my journal and counting it as a fruit and starch and they pitched a fit. So I just do it and count it and write a fruit and starch in my journal. Don't know what else to do. Better than eating a candy bar.
Kim0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 207.6/196.6/145

PS I had a friend that was on LA bought the bars but ate to many in one day. Like 4 or 5 like they were candy bars. So no matter what you do have to have some type of discipline for any plan to work. OK, my sermon for the day. Everyone have a POP week!
Kim0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

I can't do the Lites because of a soy allergy, and they added food to my program to make up for the difference. I didn't want to be deprived of the calories from the lites but they explained that they simply bump you up to the next plan (some of us are on color coded plans and some are on the newer numbered "Feel Full" plans, depending on what your COD is on). Thought I would add this information, wish I could have the bars because like many have posted here, both the Lunas and the Lites, are a nice sweet treat you can look forward to every day.

Good luck, these boards are wonderful. Lots of great advice and support and great people.

Roberta
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #14  

Wow goodsie, good job on the comps. Luna Bars definitely seem superior nutritionally.

Anybody who lives by a Smart & Final, you can buy the multi-bar box of those (flavors: Nutz Over Chocolate, Brownie, & Smores) for $18 for 20 bars, I believe. Usually it is something like $21.

As I say -- I have two teenage girls and these are mainstays in my house, it really keeps them off the junk between school and dinner, and lots of vitamins and stuff. They also like to take them to school for lunch, with yogurt and veggies.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote