Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #1  

Smile Tips for Thanksgiving

Hey All,

I'm new to LAWL, just this week! Bad timing for its Thanksgiving in Canada this weekend and I have TWO dinners to go to. Any tips or tricks anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Protein and simple veggies. Ignore any potato dishes. Works like a charm. That's how I got trhough both Thanksgiving and X-mas last year with losing weight both times.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #3  

Thanks Marzbe! It will be hard to ignore the potatoes, but it will be worth it in the end!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160

Height: 5'7

Also portion control always does the trick. Dont go back for 2nds. Remember we should eat to live not live to eat.
3plusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #5  
Tina

Height: 5'5"

Hey Marley,
I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving this weekend as well. If you're doing the cooking, the La Lite cookbook has a few on plan recipes for some of the holiday favourites. For me it's the stuffing. I'm going to make that one for myself so I can still feel like I'm having my holiday indulgence without completely blowing it. Happy Thanksgiving!
Ternoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2"

Like Megan said eat protein and simple veggies. What I have done in my planning for the day is to skip my protein at breakfast and instead have something like a low fat yogurt parfait with fruit for breakfast. Maybe also a starch like fiber one or oatmeal if you have enough starches to use up.
I have 2 1/2 P for the day on Plan 2 so then I can have the extra protein that I saved from breakfast at the special meal. It helps to save the protein, I find, because I have to eyeball the portion size instead of weighing the protein like I would do at home.

If it a family gathering and you are bringing a food dish, be sure to bring a recipe on plan or a raw veggie tray of something like that.

I have not felt deprived and I have been able to stay in the "zone" as I like to call it and on program. I also have lost weight even with special dinners like Thanksgiving and weddings.

week 39
LAWL franchise center
Plan 2 with lites
total lost 48 lbs.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #7  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

Welcome Marley
I started LAWL last year the week before Thanksgiving. I planned my day out accordingly and took my little scale with me and had my alloted portion of turkey, no gravy. I made a portion of my own boiled potatoes at home so I could by pass the mashed at the family dinner and also brought a huge salad.. something that never seems to make it on the table for big gatherings. I loaded up on any vegs but grabbed them before they got soaked in butter or oils and use 1 Fruit for 3 ozs of wine to feel like I was enjoying with the Thanksgiving toast.
It was a hard weekend and I actually didn't lose any weight that weekend which I was very ticked about.. but my body was adjusting.. more likely in shock and I ended up a with a great loss towards the end of the week. So don't get hung up on the numbers on Monday, plan ahead and it is tough but a year later I can say I am so glad I got myself in check around the holidays.. if you can survive those, you can survive anything.
Welcome again and ask any questions you have.. we're here to help!
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #8  

Thanks for all your tips, guys! I feel more confident now going into this weekend!