Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Default Weightloss Patterns

Now I haven't lost 100lb yet but hope to but would like to hear of other's experiences of losing a large amount of weight and the transitions your body went through whilst losing.

Now I've always been pear-shaped, whether I weighed 150lbs (my lowest adult weight) or 290lbs, the majority of my weight is carried on my bottom, lower abdomen and thighs. I've also gained and lost several times in the past and as I said was always the same pear. However, this time something has changed in that I'm currently losing much more from the waist downwards. Although I've lost two dress sizes (nearly 3 on my bottom half), I've barely lost a size up top. This has meant that whilst I can now wear skirts and trousers I wore 4/5 years ago the same tops I wore with these last time do not fit (usually a size or two smaller). I'm not complaining as such about this as I'd prefer to be a well proportioned hourglass than a pear but I'm wondering why this has happened.

I've several theories. One could be my age. I'm 43 now and I hope now my childbearing years are behind me prehaps as my hormones decline the tendency to store fat around my abdomen is declining. The other could be the speed of loss. I've lost 44lb in 5 months. I've lost similar amounts before but its taken me as much as a year to lose the same. The final factor could be the way I am losing this time with a low-fat diet (no more than 45g a day) and taking Xenical for the last 9 weeks.

Anyone else experience anything similar.

It could of course just be a glitch and as I continue to lose weight the remaining fat might be redistributed as it usually is.

Thanks

Kitty

Last edited by KforKitty; 10-04-2007 at 06:58 AM.
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I've been losing a much more noticeable amount of weight from my lower half as well. However, I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that my main exercise is walking, and although I do move my arms, it's toning my legs & hips more.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I think we all are totally so different. I am a size 8 -10 on top and a 12 - 14 on the bottom. I don't know why it is just the way it is. I'll take it considering I used to wear XXXL on top and 24 on bottom.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

I haven't lost a lot of weight, but I am curious about your exercise routine? As Kitty mentioned, you might be doing a lot of cardio/toning on your lower half and not as much on your upper half. I'm not suggesting you learn to run on your hands but maybe take up some form of martials arts? Something with punches and what-not to help get your upper body into the "swing" of things.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hmmm...I'm not sure what controls where we lose. I am also pear shaped...always have been and probably always will be. Hips should be my middle name! So far, most of my weight loss has come off of my upper body. I've gone from a 3X down to a 1X. I have dropped a jean size, but considering how much larger my bottom half is compared to my upper body, I would think the weight would come off more on the bottom. Arggh...not happening!

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 10-04-2007 at 08:16 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm 43 as well. I first lost it in my waist and stomach area. Everything else followed very shortly, although I'm still waiting for my calves to catch up ( ) My thighs, butt, boobs and hips are now completely gone. I'm waaaay smaller and narrower now then when I was at a similar weight in my late teens and early 20's. WAY narrower. Go figure. I am also way more muscular. I had no muscles back then and was fairly weak. I feel so strong now. Exercise has been a vital component to my weight loss and my body compostion.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I've lost around 40 pounds these last 5 months too. Most of my exercise has been walking too. I have just moved to a new size in pants but my tops haven't changed. Sure, I can button a blouse that came in small sizes now when I used to not be able to. But I still have stomach pudge in most shirts. I'm also a pear. Although before I added cardio I think it was my tummy that lost a few inches first. I think it's normal though. I think the biggest things that are loosing right now are my waist and hips(I remember measuring and posting on a board and someone went, "WOW! 7 inch lost on your hips!). Which is kinda good because it's evening out my hips of doom.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #8  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

After loosing 60 lbs, I would hope for hard abs, tight butt, nice thighs, but of course I am dreaming. I have to loke at pics or measurements to really notice my loss, maybe it is because of self doubt? I have gone from a size 26 to a size 18 pants right now, I haven't bought new tops,but I am figuring I am a 1 x in shirts, because my 2x are nice and loose. I still have alot of fat around my thighs, and although I have lost alot of my stomach, I still have alot to go, I no longer look 9 months pregnant, now I only look maybe 3-4? My legs are getting better, I can see bones on the side, and I have shoulder/collar bones showing. My ribs are almost visible in certain spots and I can make out what I would look like with less fat, I can see where the curves are, and maybe I may actually see them one day.
cheryl

Last edited by hellokitty81668; 10-04-2007 at 09:31 AM.
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Ive lost 42 lbs. To me thats not a LARGE amount. I still have a LONG way to go. I dont really know what shape I am. Kinda like an olive on a stick I guess. LOL. My legs are not chicken legs. They are nice, lean, muscular, but my upper body is larger. I went from a 26 in jeans to a 22 (can wear a 20 but still a little snug). I was a 3x in shirts. Now I can wear a 2x.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #10  

I think one or two of you might have hit the nail on the head with regard to my weightloss this time that's different from before. Walking is my main form of exercise now whereas before I did a lot of cardio in the gym (eliptical, rowing and cycling) and also weights for upper body.

Like I said I'm not knocking the current change in shape, I just think its curious.

Kitty
Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

what are your secrets to losing so much weight in such a short period? I am not having that much success.
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #12  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

I guess that means we should try to pump something up to get our upper bodies loosing! Lol. This might encourage me to do Turbo Jam a little more so then I can work it. I'm not knocking my "new" lower body either but I want everything to be even.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #13  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I have only lost 11 pounds so far but I am fairly sure that I lost one pound off my face and 5 pounds off each boob.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I would guess it has to be the exercise. I wouldn't think it could be hormonal changes since I've always read that women carry more weight around their middles as they get older, not less.

When you get near goal, your natural shape may reassert itself, or it's possible that what you consider your natural shape was simply a fact of being overweight and you really are designed differently. The only other time I ever lost a significant amount of weight I was astounded to find out that I really have no butt.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntChuChu View Post
what are your secrets to losing so much weight in such a short period? I am not having that much success.
I don't think there any secrets but I'm very strict with myself. I also plan everything so that I never allow myself to be out of the house without something low-fat to snack on, that way I avoid temptation when hungry. I also don't eat late at night if I'm not hungry just to use up my 'allowance'.

Kitty