Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Default "Exercise" question

Today I clipped on a pedometer and discovered that on an average day I walk around 8000 steps. Does this count as exercise or does one need to do the walking all at once? I understand that for aeorbic excercise the walking would have to be sustained. It seems like a good discovery to know that I walk that much but I wonder if it has any impact on muscle toning or weight loss.
Mermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hmmm. It depends how you want to think about it. In the general sense, it does count as exercise--it's good for you and it keeps your body doing what it is supposed to do.

On the other hand, I don't know that it counts as 'exercise' for weight loss--after all, this is what you've already been doing to maintain your old weight. So I'd suggest congratulating yourself on being relatively active, and then look for ways to exercise more intensively for weight loss (and weight maintenance). You want to challenge your cardio-vascular system and create nice big calorie deficits with more intensive exercise.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

In my opinion every step counts as exercise! That's 8000 steps you weren't on the couch, tomorrow shoot for 8100.

I don't think that you should be all you do and I don't think you should use it as an excuse to eat that extra piece of chocolate, but maybe view it as BONUS exercise.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Default Thanks for the input!

As with so many folks it is difficult to get regular exercise in. I can make time for it but it seems like by the time I have everything else done I don't have the energy. Every day seems filled to the point of exhaustion. By the end of the day my body is sore and demands rest.

If nothing else the pedometer measure today helped alleviate some of my guilt over not having a regular program. I know it is not enough but it is something and combined with calorie counting I have managed to lose 35 pounds and keep it off for five years. Not the best but better than gaining

I like the idea of making it a goal to add extra steps to my regular daily total.
Mermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #5  
Wandering in the Woods

I say every baby step counts ! You know you're doing more, going the distance, when you're ready to take *that* in stride, then you'll be able to go the next step. I hope you won't slap me for all the puns, geez.
Hermit Girl is offline   Reply With Quote