Old 10-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #1  
LAWL Salt Police

Thumbs up Diets to avoid

I got this off of Yahoo News.... More evidence that the way we're changing our lifestyle is the way to go toward weightloss.

Diets to Avoid

When it comes to losing weight, everyone's in search of a magic bullet. But don't fall for the hype. Unfortunately, there's no short-term fix for long lasting weight loss.

So learn to identify these six red flags:

1. Diets that promote or promise drastic weight loss.

When you start a diet, you can potentially drop a lot of weight during the first two weeks (some of which will be water weight). However, if you lose
more than two pounds per week in the weeks that follow, you run the risk of losing "muscle mass," and your metabolism will slow down in response. That's why true health experts advocate losing weight slowly and gradually - so you melt away fat while sparing precious muscle.

2. Diets that claim to work because of special supplements, creams, or potions - no diet or exercise required!

Or diets that make you buy mega supplements in order to follow the program. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!

3. Diets that differ entirely from the way you currently eat (or like to eat).

If a plan is incompatible with your lifestyle, chances are slim you'll stick with it.

4. Diets that are less than 1,000 calories.

Too difficult to sustain and can often leave you cranky, irritable, and with a bad headache. Not to mention hungry and lethargic.

5. Diets that claim they are effortless.

There's no such animal. Losing weight takes focus and effort. Period.

6. Diets that cut out entire food groups, or focus on only a few foods.

Not realistic for the long haul; the sign of a plan you're soon to go off.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Very nice list! I never thought about it, but this one makes a lot of sense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2112 View Post
3. Diets that differ entirely from the way you currently eat (or like to eat).

If a plan is incompatible with your lifestyle, chances are slim you'll stick with it.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #3  
Katy66

Height: 5'6"

I have found that LAWL is a plan that I don't have a problem getting back on track with if I do slip....probably because it is closer to my usual eating habits.
Katy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #4  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Good list Dan. Thanks for sharing. Yet another reminder to eat right and exercise!
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #5  
DixieChick

S/C/G: 175/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Default The Eight Most Fattening Foods of Fall

Found this on MSN. Its pretty direct on what NOT to eat. With Fall coming/here this is good to know, but this is just a short list

The Eight Most Fattening Foods of Fall
As the temperature drops, we start yearning for comfort foods. But beware of their hefty caloric price. A few of autumn's least healthy offerings.

1. Halloween candy With all the bowls and bags of bite-size treats around the house, it's all too tempting to steal a few. But those tiny chocolate bars are more of a trick than a treat. Eat just four "bite size" bars and you're up to 320 calories. Twenty pieces of candy corn will cost you 100 calories, and just 25 jelly beans add up to 140 calories.

2. Mashed potatoes They are the quintessential comfort food for fall. But watch out before taking seconds: weighed down with milk and butter, mashed potatoes usually have about 200 calories in a half-cup serving.

3. Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte Starbucks drinks are notoriously high in calories, and their autumn special is no exception. The Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte weighs in at 510 calories and 20 grams of fat.

4. Apple pie A Thanksgiving dinner is never complete without a slice of apple pie. But with more than 400 calories and 20 grams of fat, this might be one dessert you shouldn't be saving room for. Add a scoop of ice cream (who doesn't?) and you're up to 530 calories. It might just be enough to last you until next fall.

5. Cider Who doesn't love a cup of warm cider? You might not want to skip this traditional treat altogether, but with a sugar-laden 200 calories in 16 ounces, the sweet drink should probably be considered a dessert substitute rather than a beverage.

6. Stuffing At 358 calories and 18 grams of fat per cup, there's a reason they call it stuffing. The high-carb turkey companion may be appearing on lots of menus this fall, not to mention its starring role on Thanksgiving Day, but take it easy if you're trying to keep the fall weight gain to a minimum.

7. Candy apple An apple alone is a pretty healthy fall fruit somewhere in the 60-100 calorie range. Coat it in caramel, however, and you have quite a different story. A large candy apple with caramel usually weighs in around 540 calories. Avoiding this autumn treat will be a boon for your dental bills and your figure.

8. Turducken This combo wonderbird is a trendy entree you might want to forgo. It contains turkey, duck and chicken wrapped together for a new twist on the usual Thanksgiving meal. In terms of your diet, that twist may be for the worse: one serving of Turducken has 749 calories and 34.5 grams of fat. Try limiting yourself to one bird and skip the crispy skin. A three-ounce serving of skinless turkey has 130 calories.
aguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #6  

Quote:
8. Turducken This combo wonderbird is a trendy entree you might want to forgo. It contains turkey, duck and chicken wrapped together for a new twist on the usual Thanksgiving meal. In terms of your diet, that twist may be for the worse: one serving of Turducken has 749 calories and 34.5 grams of fat. Try limiting yourself to one bird and skip the crispy skin. A three-ounce serving of skinless turkey has 130 calories.

Who comes up with this stuff?
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #7  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Ok, Amy your list really scared me. Makes you realize how easily calories come up.

Granted I'll probably allow myself a slice of apple pie on Thanksgiving. But, when you're all in your PJ's in a warm house watching the Macy's Parade, I'll be freezing in a jumpsuit and holding a bone on one of those balloons. So during the 3 mile walk, I'll burn more than enough calories to have a slice of pie. I'll just pass on the mashed potatoes and the sweet potatoe casserole.

Last edited by marzbe; 10-02-2007 at 05:49 PM.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #8  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

And my tired body actually thought Dan was searching for the infamous Magic Bullet when he found the article. It's only October, I can't have my x-mas brain farts for at least another 6 weeks.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #9  
Jamie

S/C/G: 169.5/147.8/140

Height: 5'7

[QUOTE=aguerin;1877832]

5. Cider Who doesn't love a cup of warm cider? You might not want to skip this traditional treat altogether, but with a sugar-laden 200 calories in 16 ounces, the sweet drink should probably be considered a dessert substitute rather than a beverage.

I was just thinking about pouring myself some I'm glad I look here first.

Thanks for sharing the list with us. There is alot of things on the list I look forward to in the fall. I will have to rethink before eating them.
momofbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #10  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I love the sugar free powdered cider packets. You can usually find it with the hot chocolate. It tastes really good, plus is hot and filling.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #11  
LAWL Salt Police

There are ways around some of the high fat, high calorie items on that list..

As far as mashed potatoes go, use skim milk and "Smart Balance" instead of whole milk and butter... Or, use evaporated skim milk if you have to have it super creamy... Personally, I like "smashed potatoes" that only have a little Smart Balance and green chile (There I go with the green chile again!)

As far as the cider goes, Katie is right on with sugar free stuff.. Add some mulling spices and you're ready to go!

Stuffing can be made by using lite bread. If you like meat in your stuffing, use low fat turkey sausage.

And for dessert.. Try this recipe for sugar free, low carb caramel apples:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes...armapples.html
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote