Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 08:48 AM   #1  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Default ~~ The Thin Group #79 ~~

Hello and welcome to the Thin Group! We are a great group of ladies (but men are welcome if there are any who care to join us) who have one thing in common. We are all working together toward our goal of being healthier in our daily lifestyles and to lose weight in 2000. There are all different ages and backgrounds here and we all have different ways of losing our weight. We all love to have fun and laugh, but we also give a lot of support, encouragement and motivation for one another. Please feel free to post with us - just jump right in and believe me, you will be welcomed with open arms. The more the merrier!

Please feel free to check out our website and learn more about us at: www.geocities.com/hotsprings/sauna/4797

Love, CJ
Old 04-08-2002, 08:38 AM   #2  
Long Lost Chickie

Hm, I guess I should have been the one to start the new thread??? I, uh, I was leaving it for Queen CJ. Yeah! That's it! I swear!!

Well this weekend was a wash out. I know it's all a good cause, etc. but spending both Sat and Sun at the VFW almost every week is starting to get real old. Never get the house done this way! And we lost an hour this weekend!!!

But Jo still had plenty of time to eat, it seems. We had the Family Feud fundraisers on Sunday and there was plenty of food. I tried to be good, really I did. But it's so tough when you're there for 5 hours and the food just keeps appearing magically!

This morning I overslept big time so there was no treadmilling (although I did do half an hour at a pretty good clip last night). If I'm going to do any good on this latest challenge, I'm going to have to recover first and then be very very good.

Here's some good news: I got my income tax refund!!! Now the dangerous part - I'm off next Monday and going to Atlantic City. Yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to go until I hit the 42 lb. lost mark but I'm going anyway. I'm just going to do my best and call that a success. Actually, Rich is even talking about taking Monday off too and getting himself a ticket and coming with me. Should be a fun day. And he'll help me stay in line as far as eating and doing a lot of walking, etc.

So the game plan for this week: treadmill, water and low points. Are we all in!?!?!

Gotta run. Have a good one!
Jo.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:40 AM   #3  
Mother Hen

Good Morning!

I'm just taking time for a quick post to share a bit of good news with all my friends!

My scale said 238.5 this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been sick with a bad cold and my weight will probably go back up when I get to feeling better but........for now I'm rolling in clover!!!!!!!!! I haven't weighed this little in many years!

Hugs, Judy
Old 04-08-2002, 08:44 AM   #4  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Blunder ~ WAY TO GO! I am sooooooo proud of you ~ you keep it up girl! You're gonna do it this time, I just know it! WHOO HOOOOOO!!!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend ~ going tonite to have our taxes done ~ wish us luck!

Later...
Love, CJ

Last edited by CJ; 04-08-2002 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:43 PM   #5  

Hello Ladies!

Remember me? I'm just popping in for a quick hello!

I know, I haven't been posting as often as I thought I would now that I'm unemployed. I've been going through unemployment h*ll. My lovely ex employer didn't report my earinings correctly so it is affecting my unemployment compensation. Hopefully, it will be resolved next week when I go to an unemployment seminar.

You know how sometimes you need a kick to get your weight loss program in gear .... well, I received the results of the blood work I had done after I got laidoff. Not good, I have very high levels of estrogen which means I'm at risk of diabetes. Needless to say, I was freaking out. The way I figure it, I have no choice now ... since I hate needles, I need to lose weight . I have started doing a low-carb diet and am doing the Body for life program. We shall see what happens.

I hope you are all doing well and are succeeding in your weight loss endevours!!! Remember, one pound lost is better than one pound gained!!

I will pop in soon!

Bye!

Sylvia:sheep:
Old 04-08-2002, 08:13 PM   #6  
Conquering with SBD

Happy Monday...even though it is almost over. This week promises to be a very looooonnnnnng week for me. I need to finish a stats course by the end of the month (last month of the final extension for the course), so I thought that I better start it last weekend. LOL.

Saturday and Sunday were marathon study days. Hubby cooked and cleaned and shoved food at me at various intervals. I did 14 hours on Saturday and about 9 yesterday. My head hurts soooo much, but I still need to go home and do 3 or 4 tonight. You'd think I would learn not to procrastinate, wouldn't you. However, I like to view it as the challenge of working under pressure.

Anyway, the happy news this week. I lost 2 pounds. Yippee! I also just came back from a session with the personal fitness trainer and am hoping to lose at least another pound this week. I have decided to change my WI day to Friday. The weekends are getting sooo much harder to cope with and I am not being very good. If I WI on Fridays, then I am able to keep OP Mon - Fri. and relax a bit over the weekends. We'll see what THAT theory buys me.

Jo - I know what you mean about the food being such a temptation over the weekend. I can relate to that. But, today is a new day, keep OP for the rest of the week, and see if we can budge that 1 pound. That's all you need is just 1 pound this week. You can do it.

Judy - BIG congrats to you, girl. Way to go. What an awesome weight. Keep it up and you will soon be down to the 225 mark. Just a couple more months for that. Stay with it.

CJ - Good to hear from you again. Did Dick get home yet? I was thinking about you over the weekend and hoping that you weren't by yourself. Take care.

Sylvia - Nice to see you back. Sorry to hear about your EI woes. Do you call it unemployment insurance, or employment insurance. They changed the name in Canada a few years ago to emplyment insurance. I don't know why, but they think the cost involved in the switch was meaningful. Go figure. Hope everything works out. I know what it can be like to be counting on something, then find out that the barriers make such long delays. Keep plugging at it and hope that it works out soon.

Hi to everyone. I'll try to check back tomorrow, but this week is alreay promising to be busy - both at work and at home. If I don't get time, then I will be sure to check in on Friday and let you know if my strategy for changing WI days works. Take care, everyone. Talk later.

Luv,
Old 04-09-2002, 10:32 PM   #7  
CH

I did not make it to WW tonight. I will try on Thursday night or Sat. morning. To many things got in my way tonight.

Jo - I have been meaning to ask you, where did the name Jello come from? Knowing you it was something funny. Week-ends seem to be killing us all. Be careful next Monday. I got part of my taxes back and it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new lawn mower. Grass is getting very tall and neighbors are giving me mean looks. Just what I wanted to spend my money on!!!

Judy - Great number!! That should give you motivation to stay on task. Hope your cold is better.

CJ - Taxes!! That could send me on an eating binge. They make no sense to me.

Sylvia - Good to hear from you. I wish you good luck. Diabetes is no fun to live with.

Peggy - Is your stats course part of a degree program. WI on Friday night might be a good idea. Mine is on tuesday and I probably need it more towards week-end. Let us know how it goes.

Have homework to do for tomorrow. Everyone have a great week.
Carolyn
Old 04-10-2002, 08:52 AM   #8  
Long Lost Chickie

Happy Hump Day!

.... uh, it is Wednesday, isn't it?? I can't keep track any more. It's very strange. I've overslept every day this week. The time change and getting up in the dark never used to effect me this way. Could I be getting ... old???? Nah.

Had another boring, useless meeting at the VFW last night. I know this is a good project (Community Day parade and block party) but I'll be soooooo glad when it's over. It's on May 5 and we all plan to spend May 6 recovering and burning mylar balloons and cheap plastic kiddie prizes in effigy. The girl who was supposed to be handling the games and rides (remember I told you about her and our phone argument?) once again didn't show up or give anyone any information. So now Rich and I are going to have to spend the day calling vendors and asking THEM what they're supplying US!!! Last night, the chairman put us in charge instead of her. All well and good but I didn't want the job in the first place!!! But I'll do it.

And here's something. Oh the games that Jo plays on her own mind... I've decided to stay on program as long as I have to be on this project. I'll consider staying completely on program as a reward for all the hard work I'm going to have to do. Yes, I did say "staying on program as a REWARD"!!!! What kind of thinking is that!!?!

In other news, there are a couple gals here at work (built like me I might add and not like some 95 pound spandex princess) who've joined a local gym and love it. They're trying to get me to join too. It's only 25 bucks a month and they go 3 times a week. My biggest problem is TIME!! But I'm thinking once this VFW project is done, I'll join them too. I'm using them as my guinea pigs to see if they still love it in another month. Wait and see....

Carolyn, hate to disappoint you but it's not that funny a story. I got the Jello name while I was still married and my initials were JLO. Just made sense. But I did make sure everyone knew it was SUGAR-FREE JELLO!! Anyway, even though those aren't my initials any more, I decided to keep the name everyone knew me by. BTW, we need a new lawn mower too! Or at least will have to have the old one fixed. Either way, it's going to wait until I make my millions in Atlantic City ... yeah, right.

Peggy, well so far I'm not doing great on the challenge. I'm still doing that really bad thing of getting on the scale every morning and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. But I don't know why!! But I'll keep plugging along!!

Sylvia, I'm glad to see you here again!!! Sorry about the unemployment stuff. Guess most everyone knows how bad that can be, either first hand or through someone else.

OK, I have to go now. Boss is hovering and I think he suspects I'm doing something other than work here. Go figure.

Have a good day everyone!
Much love, Jo.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:59 AM   #9  
Conquering with SBD

Hi everyone. This morning I can barely keep my eyes open. Hubby is teaching on the other side of town this week, so dumps me off at work 1 1/2 hours early every morning. I brought the toothpicks for my eyelids this morning, so I can still read the messages here.

For those of you who are moaning about lawnmowers...I could only wish. We still have 1 1/2 feet of snow. Had to get the snowblower out to clean the driveway after the dump of snow last weekend. But I think there is lawn somewhere down there.

In preparation for spring, though, I bought a new patio set for the deck. We changed the siding on the house last year, so the present patio set doesn't match anymore. Men just don't understand the concept of matching things, do they? I'm still hearing under the breath mumbles, but I can take them.

I can't believe the difference that the working out has made. I have been working with a personal fitness trainer the last few weeks and am losing weight at a fairly consistent pace. Welll, except for Easter. The thing that impresses me is that I really haven't been good keeping to my points allottment, but I am still losing the 1 or 2 pounds each week. My last session with the trainer is today, so I will be on my own after that. I think I might have hubby convinced to come to work an hour early to work out a few times every week, then we really won't be taking any personal time out of our schedules.

We are really fortunate that the fitness centre is a perk on the job and there is not cost to use the centre, and always have a staff member on hand to help out. Unfortunately, we just haven't taken advantage of the perk. It's almost like, because it is free, it doesn't have any value. In addition to the fitness centre, we have a swimming pool, sauna, raquetball and squash courts, an indoor and outdoor track, skating rink, etc. How many times in the past 5 years has Peggy used the facility....0. However, starting right now, I am using it.

Jo - Stick with the program. I know you can do it. All you need is one little pound by Saturday. Stay with the program and you will eventually succeed. YOU REALLY CAN DO THIS!!!

I have to tell you all a funny story about taxes. Two years ago, hubby went to China for two weeks at exactly the time that taxes were to be filed. I took a day off to go to the airport with him, then went home and did the taxes. When I finished the taxes, I filed them over the telephone and, voila, a week later, had the refund cheques in hand (his was around 3500 dollars). I deposited them in the bank account, spent all the money and then he came home... Can you figure out what happened after that?

Carolyn - About the stats course. Yes it is one of the final courses towards my MBA. I am actually on a tutoring site for stats, and I posted a question to the site on Monday. Only Peggy could have the tutors arguing about the answer. The nasty things they were writing to each other yesterday would make your hair turn grey. I can hardly wait to have the program finished. Hopefully will graduate June 2003. What studies are you doing?

My boss is looking for another job right now, so I am in line for his position. I have never even applied for the position before, because the Director of the department has made many statements that he would never have a female manager in his department. To preclude me from applying in the past, he has stated that a police background is mandatory for the position. My boss is an ex RCMP, and his expertise has never been used on this job, so he is having that taken out of his job description as required. The other bonus is that the organization has decided that, with the number of retirements that will be coming up in the next 10 years, it is important to do some succession planning. We have never done that before. Also, we have just gotten a new Director, who wants some female presence in his managers' contingent. I have been working the past few years, for such an opportunity - I had a B. Comm, then completed a Corporate Security Management Program (the closest to the policing stuff that I can get), and now trying to finish the MBA. That sets my up perfectly for the time that the Manager's job becomes vacant.

Anyway, I guess I should run. It's time to start work...
Old 04-12-2002, 12:49 PM   #10  
Long Lost Chickie

What's this!?!? No one here!?!? Well, this will never do. I need you guys!!! I have to weigh in tomorrow morning and I think I'm going to fail in the very first week of the new 1-pound-a-week challenge!!! I'm still overdoing things. Not as badly as in the past, granted, but still not quite on program.

Having said that, I did 40 minutes on the treadmill last night. You know, it's amazing how much energy that gives you!!! I was shocked! I actually got some chores done instead of parking my butt in front of the TV and "vegging" all night long. But I'm afraid it might be too little too late to salvage this week. Still, I will try to persevere.

I have to go. Big government contract has to go out Fed-X tonight and it's still being worked on by the very slow company big-wigs.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!
Love, Jo.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:01 PM   #11  
Conquering with SBD

Jo - I'm still here. Yahoo for us! You are soooo good to be getting on that treadmill. I admire you for that. I just can't get any motivation to do the aerobics thing. I don't know what it is with me, but the treadmill sits in the middle of the floor and I just never use it. I wish that I had the motivation for the workouts that you do.

However, I have been working with the personal fitness trainer and getting more brave in the weight room. I actually went ALL BY MYSELF before work this morning. Theeeen, I weighed in because I want to change my WI to Fridays, and have lost another 2.25 pounds this week. Now that seems good on the surface, but it really isn't. That just brings me down to the weight that I was at after the Valentine's challenge. I have been in such a funk since then, but hopefully can pull myself out now. Even gives me some motivation for the weekend.

Hope you have a great weekend and the iron monster is good to you. A few extra minutes on the treadmill?????

Luv,
Old 04-15-2002, 07:54 PM   #12  
CH

Hope everyone is enjoying beautiful weather like we are. Sat. was great and Sun. was a little cloudy but today was beautiful. I've gotten some yard work done. Does that count as exercise? It will have to because it's as close as I've been lately.

Peggy- sound like classes are keeping you busy. You will be so glad when you've finished. It will be worth it. If I have talked about classes here, it's probably one I teach at church. I teach a Divorce class for those going thru divorce. Each one last 13 weeks and they really wring me out. I have one more session in this class and I am ready for a break. I am also an elementary librarian at a small school here. I am retired but back working part-time. I love it and being just 3 days a week, I consider it perfect.

Tomorrow night I WI. I didn't go last week so I will have to lose 2 lbs. to keep up with our lb. a week. I've been pretty good except I just haven't exercised. I've got to make time to do that. It is so hard for me. I guess I'm lazy. No guess!! I am lazy.

Where is everyone? Come back girls. We need support.
Later, Carolyn
Old 04-16-2002, 12:54 AM   #13  

Default Hello, hello!

Peggy - way to go on the study and the exercise! Excellent work.

Sylvia - lovely to hear from you. Tell me about unemployment, I mean I have been redundant now for 8 weeks and I am choosing to stay home with Charlie rather than look for work but it still is a big mental adjustment. I went to Uni for a week and everyone is like 'so what do you do'. Tell a bunch of Masters students (who are all a few years or many older too) that you are a stay at home. Felt like I was nothing

Jo - how exciting about your trip! Also gee you have got the treadmill into your life haven't you? It is excellent how you get on it so many times a week - well done!

Blunder - Glad your cold is passing, love that low number on the scales! hope it stays that way

Well girls, Charlotte turned one yesterday!! It was a lovely day, though stressful, all the family politics etc. Sunday we had an afternoon tea for 30 people. Talk about work! She is still a little girl, only about 18 pounds and still in 6-9 month clothing. Petite, you know? Actually I should email CJ a photo.

Pregnancy is gonig well, 17 weeks along tomorrow. Have only gained about 3 pounds so far and am not showing yet. Unlike last time my butt and legs haven't got huge yet, so I'm still in my normal clothes, yay. Sure a lot of is because Charlie is still breastfed. I've not been exercising much - so tired and have been ill. Plus I find the hormones of pregnancy takes some adjusting - I get quite depressed. We have an ultrasound in 2.5 weeks and we'll find out the sex of the baby if we can. So exciting!!!

Best go,
Sam
Pre-pg 138/now 141/hoping to stay under 160
Old 04-16-2002, 10:02 AM   #14  
Conquering with SBD

Happy Tuesday. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but we were hit by a snow storm Sunday evening (over 6" of snow ), so was busy coordinating snow removal on the campus that i work at. What a job when noone is expecting it.

I did get to the gym to workout yesterday before work. Dragged hubby along because he is starting the routine, as well. He doesn't have much choice because we drive to work together and if I come early to workout, he does too. Was glad that I met my boss at the gym - just gave me an excuse to be late for work .

My weekend was not good. I was over points every day over the weekend, and also yesterday. The snacking at night really gets to me. I just can't seems to control myself, or maybe it's that I don't want to control myself. However, I didn't gain any weight through that, but will need to stay OP for the rest of the week to meet the 1 pound challenge this week.

Sam - So good to hear from you again. I bet Charlotte was so cute on her birthday. We were able to celebrate our granddaughter's first birthday over Easter. The kids are soooo cute at that age. Our daughter had to wean the baby last October because she was sent to New York to do some counselling at Ground Zero. The baby has not yet adjusted to eating properly. They have really struggled with her and she is promising to be fussy. You are so fortunate to be able to breastfeed through your pregnancy. Keep us informed about the new baby, too. Hope to hear from you soon.

Carolyn - Well, all I can say, is that we are NOT, NOT, NOT enjoying nice weather. We had minus temps and still about a foot of snow until the latter part of last week. The weather on Saturday was wonderful and melted most of the snow that was remaining. We were actually thinking that we would be able to get out into the yard by the end of the month. Theeennnn, the unthinkable happened. A dump of snow that has left everything in a mess. The snow is so wet that it is almost impossible to clear with the weight of it, then it still freezes at night. Walking in to work this morning was treacherous....of course, I only had a pair of little shoes on. I think they call that contributory negligence if I should slip and fall.

Let us know how the WI goes. We're waiting to hear.

Take care, everyone. Hope to hear from the rest soon. We miss you all.

Luv,
Old 04-16-2002, 11:12 AM   #15  
Mother Hen

GOOD MORNING!

I hope all had a good weekend.

I've beeen sick again. Don't know what's wrong this time. Woke up yesterday feeling like I was on a cheap drunk! Couldn't even lift my head off the pillow without feeling nauseated and the room was spinning. I stayed in bed most of the day. Had a looooong night's sleep last night too. Feel much better this morning.

My daughter is still in jail, court date is May 6. I hate to leave her there but I have taken care of her for 40 years, now it's time she learned to take care of herself!

I have rented out my spare bedroom to a friend of the people across the street. He does lawn work for a living. So in exchange for the room he will do my lawn upkeep and build flowerbeds that I have never been able to get anyone to do for me. All I have to do is buy the plants, landscaping will be free! I think it's a pretty good deal.

Have been eating all the wrong foods this week, so I'm afraid to get on the scales. Hope I haven't blown it completely! I won't get discouraged if I have a gain, I'll just get back on the wagon, and yell "Gittyup!", and start all over.

This site is really getting to be a Ghost-town! Everybody get back in here and let us all know whats new!

Hugs, Judy
Closed Thread