Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #1  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Default What "Whole Foods" meals are you making today?

I am making an arugula pesto with walnuts, arugula, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, a pinch of black pepper and umeboshi vinegar.

I am steaming beets and carrots to serve over a salad of heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, mixed greens, chickpeas and kalamata olives.

I am cooking quinoa in vegetable broth, and serving it with a zucchini, caramelized onion and garlic sauce.

What are you making?

Last edited by SoulBliss; 09-22-2007 at 12:05 PM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #2  
hara hachi bu

Yum, those all sound delicious!

I'm not sure how whole-foody my chili is, but I've added some frozen heirloom tomatoes from my workout buddy's garden, some roasted red and yellow peppers, hot peppers from a coworker's garden, quorn simulated beef crumbles (or whatever they called them - ha), canned tomatoes, chicken broth, frozen roasted corn, seasoning, etc.

I'm soaking some dried chickpeas for homemade hummus and balela.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

That sounds like a great whole foods chili!

Is the balela homemade too? I like to make it with cilantro instead of parsley for a different flavor.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

Thanks! Edit: I'm having the chili now - very yummy! I'd never tried these TVP-like "beef" crumbles before and in the chili I can't tell the difference.

Yes, the balela will be homemade, too. I bought some once at a deli and I thought hmmmm, this must be easy to make. Surprisingly, I didn't find many recipes for it in google, but I did find one and I'm going to check it out. I loooove cilantro, so maybe next time I'll try that - I already bought the parsley.

Last edited by phantastica; 09-22-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

OH my goodness...I just made the MOST delicious dish! It is so good, I had to put it down to post so I could remember what I just did--and to slow down my eating!!!

I chopped onion and carrots and cooked them in a skillet (without oil). While that was cooking, I chopped some young Spring onions (they are purple on the bottoms and green at the tops), a yellow heirloom tomato and added that in after the onion and carrot was cooked.

Next, I sliced a cup of seitan and added that, stirring frequently. I put about 1/3 a tsp. of ground black pepper and 6 shakes of cayenne pepper in and mixed it up.

After that was cooked, I took 3 cups of the leftover seasoned quinoa and mixed it in, squeezing the juice of one lime over it all.

To top it off, I chopped 6 jalapeno stuffed large green olives and 1/2 a pickled jalapeno, 3 slices of dried mango coated in chili and sprinkled a bit of each of them on each serving.

This is really delicious, there is no added oil, it is high in fiber and protein and veggies!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a bunch of ripe tomatoes again so ...

In the biggest pot I've got and I wish it was bigger ...
skinned tomatoes
chopped onion
chopped green peppers
cubed yellow squash
and ... ahem ... knorr vegetables soup mix

I'll have polenta and my fella's will have whole grain bread with it for supper. I'm going to can the rest.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

That sounds wonderful!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

It sure smells good!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 309/250/200 (for now)

Height: 5 foot 2

Tonight I am trying out a new concoction in the crockpot. It is still cooking so I hope it tastes okay.

I threw in: uncooked brown rice, carrots, onions, celery, zucchini, can chopped tomatoes (my only non-fresh veg), water, pinto beans, cannellini beans, red chilli, fresh cilantro and some curry powder. We shall see!
SarahJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #10  
hara hachi bu

Ooh, yummy, Sarah!

Today I had a very un-whole instant plain oatmeal with nuts and dried fruit. Lunch is leftover chili and balela. The balela turned out good, but I used dried garbanzo beans (reconstituted, of course) and they didn't have the same consistency as canned ones. Not terrible, but I think I'll use the rest of the dried garbanzo beans for hummus or something. Or maybe they need to be boiled in addition to being soaked? I don't know.

Dinner tonight will be a mixed vegetable salad with some chicken, and maybe something for a grain.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 309/250/200 (for now)

Height: 5 foot 2

It turned out pretty good but my gosh that made a huge amount! When I was doing the calorie count on it for my food diary while it was cooking I was thinking it was a bit higher in calories than I normally want but I couldn't eat my whole portion. Which of course is part of the beauty of the whole food..like 500 calories and I feel like I can't move because I am so full
SarahJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #12  

Height: 5`2

I made home made chili.
Snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Last night I made a big batch of chicken and wild rice soup. It's quite yummy, packed with veggies and creamy (thanks to fat free evaporated milk and my hand mixer). AND it's only 219 cals/serving with 18g protein. Hooray! I love soup!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica View Post
The balela turned out good, but I used dried garbanzo beans (reconstituted, of course) and they didn't have the same consistency as canned ones. Not terrible, but I think I'll use the rest of the dried garbanzo beans for hummus or something. Or maybe they need to be boiled in addition to being soaked? I don't know.
I don't suggest eating garbanzo beans that haven't been cooked! I am sure that your recipe would be great with cooked ones though!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 PM   #15  
hara hachi bu

I soaked the chickpeas to death, like 2x as long as the package calls for. I used some in the balela, and they weren't hard, but kind of crispy. LOL.

I boiled the rest of them for a while to make hummus, which turned out OK, but they were STILL hard to mash up. As a result, I have somewhat chunky hummus. Not ideal, but not terrible either.