Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #1  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Need some support and help

Hi everyone!

I am back after a really long break from the board and I need to get back on track now. I need some help, advice, fellowship...something to help me keep in line and motivated to keep losing.

In January I made a resolution to lose 100 pounds in a year. Now- I know that a year is not realisitic but from my start point of trying to lose I have lost a total of 51 pounds and I want to make the last surge effort to get as close as I can to my goal by Dec 31, 2007. Anyone out there have any advice on how I can stay motivated and driven torward these ends?? I need some advice on how to eat well as a single person who lives alone. I could also use some advice on how to renew my commitment everyday. I send this request to anyone with advice because I need all the help I can get.

I also offer my support to help anyone who needs some help staying on track- I can be a really good cheerleader! I will try to get on everyday and post so anyone out there looking for a support system- let me know. This board has been such a huge support system for me in the past and I look forward to getting to know everyone again.
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Wow! Congrats on the 51-pound weight loss. That is incredible.

Advice on how to stay motivated? That's tough. I struggle with it myself. Coming to this board and ranting when I struggle is good for me, though. And food as a single person? I think that's a huge advantage, actually. My husband actually put cheesecake in our shopping cart tonight. Cheesecake! I don't usually veto things, but I told him that if he brought that home, he might as well suction the fat right onto my thighs. You, however, can keep all of that out without as much struggle. And you can try new things without listening to naysayers bashing your food choices. You can also make a batch of your favorite healthy recipe and freeze what you don't eat right away so that it's cheap and easy to have healthy food available.

Three months to go - and moving ever closer to that 100 pounds. I am interested to see how close you'll be. Whatever it is, you've already achieved a great deal of success!

Laurie
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi and Welcome back!!!
Congrats on the 51 lbs weight loss!!! I don't know if I would be much help. Everyday I face struggles not to over eat, or exercise, but I give my self a pep talk , wanting to feel better, look better, and not to be obese anymore. It works most days, and when I fall off the wagon, I come here hold myself accountable for slip ups and start again. Good luck on reaching your goal!!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

You've lost about the same amount of weight as I have in the same time.
I personally don't put timelines on my weightloss because if I fail I feel of course like a failure and 2 my weightloss is not consistent. I lose 7 lbs. one month and 1 the next.

How I've done it: I read 2 great books I recommend highly to everyone who asks and you asked. YOU on a diet by Oz and Roizen and SuperFoods RX or Superfoods Healthstyle by Pratt. This is not a diet for me it is definitely a lifestyle change and it doesn't matter if I never reach goal(but I will) I have learned so much at 46 years old and I will NEVER go back to being that obese woman. Because now I'm only overweight no longer obese.

Single definitely has it's advantages. I buy fresh and frozen vegetables. As many small green giant packages of vegetables that will fit in my freezer. I eat those for snacks and with lunch and dinner as one of my vegetables along with a salad. The frozen vegetables have 2 - 3 servings in each. For me they makes a great snack.

Exercise: walk, run, elliptical, bike, swim, dvd's weights, stretching. Move, do whatever you like, But do it everyday, you wouldn't go a day without sleep or heaven forbid food no excuses move. WE ARE HERE IF YOU FEEL THE URGE TO EAT NOT ON PLAN COME HERE AND SIMPLY TYPE: HELP

Last edited by sharonrr1; 09-29-2007 at 07:43 AM.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Sharon gave you some excellent advice. All I can add is my congratulations on your 51 lb. loss!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:28 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome Back ^^ Congratulations on such a great weight loss!

As a person who eats alone most of the time, I know about all the hardships that come with this. Don't feel like cooking, don't feel like eating at the table, don't feel like shopping for good food.

I've made some rules for myself that have helped me (even if I don't follow them 100% of the time.) I guess that makes them more of guidelines...

My rule #1!!!: I will eat at the table. I will enjoy my meal and the taste of my food. I will not mindlessly eat meals/snacks in front of the TV or computer. (I realized that a lot of the time I was eating two meals at night because I "forgot" about the first while playing on my computer or watching TV.)

My rule #2: I will not go shopping without a list. (Even if I'm going in for one or two things, and that list will not consist of cookies, candy & cakes >.<) I will make sure to buy healthier foods, and to not buy too many single serve microwave dinners that may contain a lot of salt.

My rule #3: When I've made my meal & served out my dinner if there are leftovers, I will package them up for another time. I will not go back for more just because more is sitting there.

These 3 rules have helped me out a lot. I hope you can find something within them that helps for you.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Whet helps me stay motivated are goals. And I got a bunch. I have daily goals, weekly goals, monthly goals and what not. I am very goal oriented and it helps me reach it.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #8  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I think you have 51 awesome motivators!!! that's wicked! Imagine if you'd done nothing at all ~ you'd hit new year's with probably MORE than 100 to loose! You're on the home stretch -- there's less ahead to lose than there is behind you!! yay!!!

I've lost about 35 and when i feel down I put on some pants that fall right off me --- and when i get too cocky i put on a pair of pants that barely go up past my knees hahaha and I know I have a longgggggg way to go!

be sure to check in often!! we're all rootin' for ya!

t
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #9  
Trying or Dying

Hey everyone-

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I have already put a sticky note on my fridge and door that says " I can do it" and have put Superfoods on my library list. I am already beginning to read You on a Diet and I think it will help a lot. ( I bought this a while back and never cracked it open- I love this guy!)
My new behaviors:
1. I am going to not eat in front of the TV and not while standing in front of the sink to be aware of what is going in my mouth.
2. I am going to try to buy more frozen veggies for snacks ( great idea )
3. I have a "skinny" pair of pants and a pair from my more generous days out so I can reaffirm my commitment to do this. ( another great one )
4. I am getting my bootie back in the gym. I was walking an hour a day 4-5 times a week for awhile and then work got busy and I stopped. I am going today to get back on track!
5. I am going to try to stop eating out as much- this is what is killing me now. I have been so busy with work that I have been cutting corners.

Thanks for all the encouragement! Congrats to you all for your weight loss. You guys are great examples and inspiration for me.

Where do you guys normally talk everyday- is there a daily thread on this site?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Coming back to a support forum is a great way to continue motivation. Super congratulations on your 51 lb loss to date, you and your body seem to be working together towards your goal.

I when I am tempted to slack off my food plan, I will go to a medical site that discusses the negative consequences of being morbidly obese. Then I ask myself if over eating is worth it to me. This usually works.
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #11  
Trying or Dying

Thanks for the advice chic- I will definitely do that as well! Great idea!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Crime Girl, welcome back to the board, and congrats on what you've achieved so far! I too am a single gal, and I think that in some ways, that makes it easier for me to control what I'm eating - when I'm cooking at home, I only have to worry about myself and it's easy for me to keep "trouble" food items out of the house. I buy a lot of frozen veggies so that I don't waste because the fresh stuff tends to go bad before I have enough time to eat it all. And otherwise, it's really just all about being careful with portion control and making sure that everything is balanced and consumed in moderation.

Where it gets challenging is the eating out thing for me, which - being a single gal - I tend to do a lot. There I just try to make smarter choices, and remember that I don't have to eat it all. I've taken to ordering an appetizer rather than a main course as a survival tactic - that way, I get to taste the good stuff, but don't overdo it.

Good luck, and stick around to let us know how it's going for you!

p.s. hoping your name doesn't allude to a life of crime you're leading, but an occupation that relates to crimes committed by others!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

and Congratulations! 51 pounds is quite an achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime girl View Post
Where do you guys normally talk everyday- is there a daily thread on this site?
Here are some of my favorite daily threads: Accountability/Planning/Menus, October NSV's and October: The One Reason I'm Staying On-plan Today. Also, there will be posts each day from 3FC friends who need advice or just want to talk about something or share information. Please jump in wherever you feel comfortable. I look forward to getting to know you better.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote