General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #1  
Addicted to potato salad!

Default My New Job!

So, many people that know me know that I've been a hairdresser for about 25 years. You also may know that I was working at a chain store salon at the mall over the winter. Well, my career started in 1983 in a dinky store in a college town outside Rochester, and since then I've wanted to open my own salon. Instead, I started working at Penney's and stayed there for 10 years, then worked in private salons for another 8 years or so, then moved out of town to where I live now. Since then (2000) I've been home with the kids, but when my son went off to kindergarden, I was extremely bored and slightly depressed without the pitter patter of little feet (but not missing the pain of leggos sticking up my heel!), I went to the mall to work last winter. So, after realizing why I didn't want to work at the mall (saturday nights and sundays for instance) and needing a gaggle of Saturdays off in July for marching band, I quit.

So...

Now here I am in the fall again...no kids (did I get the point across that I hate being home without the kids? Except for the leggos?) and getting depressed, so, instead of going to work at the mall again...I decided to open a barber shop here in town! I'm opening on Monday. I rented a store front in our little village and am going the barber shop route because there are a ton of little old men that all go to the city for haircuts because there's nobody in town that is a barber. Well, I'm a hairdresser, but at Mastercuts, I really fine-tuned my men's services and I"m looking into whether I can use a straight razor and a hot towel for shaving. I think I need a barber-specific license for that. But, I am so excited to finally be working for myself! After 25 years! The little old men know I'm opening and they keep poking their heads in while my parents and I are drywalling and painting and scraping and building and scraping and painting and sanding, etc, "Are you open yet?" You can tell they're just dying for someone to give them a good haircut with clippers and the powder and trim their mustaches and beards, etc. I can hardly wait! I'm also going the barber route because there are two other hairdressers in town and I do like them, but they work out of their houses. There's no store front place to get a haircut for men OR women. And, truth be told, a lot of people aren't happy with how they do hair, so maybe they'll give me a try. Also, men get their hair cut more often than women do, but they're a little more picky of where they get their hair cut. No beauty parlor atmosphere for them. If it hints of beauty parlor, they won't like it..BUT, a woman will get her hair done anywhere she can get a good job done or wherever has a good reputation, whether it says barber shop or beauty parlor or styling salon or whatever. So, I"m going with a barber shop theme so little old men will feel comfortable, too.

Anyhow...I"m just so darn excited. I'm hoping my dad gets my barber pole up outside tomorrow so that'll get the town really talking. I'm going Friday to get all the colors, perms, capes, shampoos, foils, sanek strips, etc and a new blow dryer. CANNOT wait!!

So, prayers that all goes well would be greatly appreciated. Best of all, the shop has a full kitchen in it, so I can stock the fridge with healthy food to eat in between customers.

Wish me luck!!
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

That's great! I'm sure your new endeavor will reap many benefits for you (lack of boredom AND legos are just the tip of the iceberg). Best of luck to you!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Cool!! That really sounds awesome! Best of luck to you with your new venture :-)
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulaions and good luck!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

woohooo..best of luck! show them how a good barber cuts hair!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Techwife, Congratulations on being a business owner! It sounds like a well thought out plan. Good luck!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #7  
So happy to be me :)

Height: 5' 7"

I love the excitement I can feel reading your post. Congratulations to you!
NewDay4MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #8  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

All the very best on your new endeavour.

Will it just be you working or will you need to hire someone else to help with the rush?
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Good for you!! I'm very happy for you!! Do you have one of those cool barber shop red, white and blue sign-thingy's? (yeah, that's the technical term, I'm sure) Is it a pole? Anyway, I congratulate you!!

What was that college town you worked in... Brockport? or East of Roch? Just curious!!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #10  

Aymster: Brockport. I worked at a place called Snip n Clip. I couldn't stand the owner and always thought...'what I could do with this place!!' And, Oh, yeah...I got a barber pole. It's really cool and has wraught iron surrounding it.

Clydegirl: Oh, it'll be just me! My shop is small and only big enough for me. If I get too busy, though, I'll be happy to rearrange things to accomodate another chair if I need to.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I could make a suggestion, on what you could do to pick up business, if you had a pole inside the shop.....but I won't........

chrome dome special......you're killin' me!.....it is half price right?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #12  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations tech! What an adventure, I wish you the best of luck.

is Gary's mind ever not in the gutter?

Last edited by melekalikimaka; 09-27-2007 at 07:53 PM.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #13  

That's right, Gary. I just had a guy ask me today, "How much to cut MY hair?" and he took off his hat to reveal a totally bald head except for the horseshoe left from ear to ear. I said, "You qualify for my chrome-dome special! Half price for half a head of hair!" He said, "Seriously?" and I said, "Yup! Totally serious!" And he pointed at me and said, "You are one smart lady! I'll be here on Monday on opening day!" I love it. I can hardly wait!

The barber pole went up today and tomorrow, it will be hooked up (it lights up and spins!) and the sign guy is coming tomorrow to hang the sign up over the door. I cried today when I saw it at the sign shop. Finally, my dreams come true!! Broadway Barber and Salon. It's perfect!!

I should have it all wrapped up and ready to go tomorrow. Saturday morning, we're off to Buffalo for a SABRES GAME!!! and then, a bridal shower for my niece on Sunday in Rochester, then back home Sunday night. Monday morning, the doors open for business!! The old men have been pacing the place like vultures! It's awesome!!

Last edited by techwife; 09-27-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:58 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post
Congratulations tech! What an adventure, I wish you the best of luck.

You notice, I stealthy ignored it... Selective reading...just like selective hearing with the kids.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by melekalikimaka View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife View Post
You notice, I stealthy ignored it... Selective reading...just like selective hearing with the kids.

What? All I said was put a pole inside....you both added your own thoughts ....how does that saying go? "Great minds think alike."............

I thought hockey was over....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote