Old 09-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #1  
Starting Over (again)

S/C/G: 229/183/145

Height: 5'8"

Default No Sponsor Yet

Good morning all. I've been in OA for about 3 months, and I haven't found a sponsor yet. I follow a food plan, journal, go to the meetings every week and really rely on my HP to get me through the day, and it seems as if I'm doing alright. My question to you "seasoned" OA members is...is the program still workable if I don't have a sponsor? I have a really hard time getting to know people, so the thought of putting myself out there for possible rejection really scares me. And I know it doesn't help that I can't really relate to anyone in my home group. Thoughts, advice and input are very welcome, and needed. Thanks all!
shelliebellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

i'm kind of the same way... very reluctant to put myself out there for people i don't really know. i did end up finding a sponsor, although it's not entirely the situation i'd hoped for. i think it's a huge help to have someone there - but it's still hard for me to take the iniative to call her.

best of luck to you! i'm glad to hear that things seem to be working w/ the program thus far.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

I don't think I would have been able to remain abstinent for 2 months without my sponsor. We have an established call time (5:00pm) and I call her every day. If one of us is unable to talk at that time, she'll just call the other back when she can.

During this call, she gives me assignments for the next day and we discuss the assignment I did for the previous day. Then, I give her my food plan for the following day. Then, we'll usually talk about different issues or discuss how things are going or what I'm struggling with.

I really think that a sponsor is very important. Don't be so concerned about finding the perfect one. Just find someone who has been at it a while and seems to be on track with her program.
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

I would never have made it this far without my sponsor. I had about 4 craving crisis, I called her and we talked it over and it worked. I am only able to go through the steps based on the assignments and questions she gives me and she keeps me accountable especially when it comes to the weigh in time.
Our disease is sneaky and our thoughts and self talk are like bad lawyers giving us bad advice, don't listen to those thoughts. Ask your HP what you should do.
Your Sponsor doesn't have to be a friend but you want to find someone who knows how to work the program and be a Sponsor.
Let us know how it works out.
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #5  
Starting Over (again)

S/C/G: 229/183/145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everyone for the responses. I do realize that a sponsor is a very important part of the program, so I've decided to try attending a meeting or two on other days, in hopes that I meet someone I click with.
shelliebellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252.2/220/200 1st goal

Excellent Shellie and keep posting to keep us up to date.
Bumps
Magic Flute is offline   Reply With Quote