Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up The Queenly Quest to Beat the Devil

The season's changed, leaves are turning and the Halloween candy's in the stores -- just waiting for us to buy it up in advance. Repeatedly. But gobblin' time is past -- Queenly questers are going to vanquish the and sally forth to emerge slinky and sexy for All Hallows Eve festivities.

We'll invoke the within and defeat all those nasty bloodsuckers that lead to temptation: fatigue, stress, time crunch, evil-doers...

We've got a little better than five weeks till Halloween -- enough time to make some real progress. Pop in and report on your goals and your plan for achieving them!

Hop on, Queenlies and let's GO!

Last edited by Arabella; 09-23-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 AM   #2  

Thumbs up Here we go!

Well, after trying as hard as I could to avoid this, I think I'm going to go back to WW this week. There's no getting around the fact that the weekly weigh-in helps me focus. And much as I hate to admit it, my monthly goal has meant that I slack at the first of the month and scramble at the end. Not the way to do it, esp. since my scrambling seems to have waited until the last week of the month this time Will I make it? Stay tuned.

So, I'm committing to:
  • A Core/Ultrametabolism hybrid diet (they're pretty compatible.)
  • At least 2L water a day.
  • Aerobic exercise every day, aiming to get in two sessions (A walk after dinner is very salubrious )
  • Yoga, tai chi or qi qong every day.
  • Meditation every day.
  • FUN every day, dagnab it!

Did great yesterday. I'm knocking off some of the higher glycemic index good carbs this week, though, to try and hit somewhere in the region of my goal.

Avanti!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #3  

Ooh, new thread, new thread! Thanks, Arabella. Love the new title. Let's just beat the devil out of that demon and all the demons you mentioned, i.e, fatigue, etc.

And I'm for fun!!!!! I think we all need more of that, even those of us who hae fun sometimes need more fun, less calories.

Ok, that's my new sub-motto - MORE FUN, LESS CALORIES. I must learn that there are calorie-free types of fun. Anyway, my goal is the usual but this time I will make it. I've two days of "decent" under my belt. Must up the exercise and the water. More water, less tea.

Re rest of my life, must do more sorting, commit to garage sale this Friday/Saturday. Must get my head organized. If not now, when? It's "MY" season, must take hold and live it fully, healthfully, energetically! Ho, ho. (oh no, that's the next season.)
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #4  

I note, Arabella, that the eom of your quest corresponds to the eom of your job which doesn't seem conducive to tranquillity. Perhaps if you change your quest eom to midmonth or another date, it would be less stressful. Or if you change your goal to a pound and a quarter a week, weighing in on your own? (Note that I weigh in on my own and never seem to have enough motivation to make my smaller weekly goal but YOU seem to much more deciated.)

Must get motivated to get up and enjoy this beautiful day.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #5  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Height: 5'3"

anagram, i DEFINITELY agree with you as far as trying to learn that there are calorie-free types of fun. Everything my bf and i like to do together seems to involve calories..new restaurants, wine tastings, etc.
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #6  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Ooooh, I am so with you ladies. My goal is to step up the exercise from 2 days a week to 5 - consistantly! Also to stagger my calories. By Halloween, I want to see a substantial loss on the scale - at least 5 lbs, so I know it isn't just water weight and stuff. Good luck all, and avoid that candy!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Huzzah Faire Queenly Comrades, me 'n Hago the Hut (the hag who lives in the Halloween Challenge Hut in my little personal Halloween Challenge that has been sloggin' along for a week or so) be with ye also. My challenge, as ye know, was to reach the 130s by the end o' September but the sluggishness 'n evil nature o' my Metabolism Demon 'n a few other Diet Demons such as eatin' too much 'n exercisin' too little plus the Job from the Black Lagoon slowed that goal down a bit. I don't as yet have a firm weight goal for Halloween Sunday, which is my target (last Sunday in October) but am takin' things on a case-by-case basis. My goal for the last September weigh-in is 141.

'N a big huzzah to Anagramatic, plus a howdy to Imills 'n Audrey, the latter two of whom I have not met before!

Weigh in saga continues: Mighty Caseyette at the bat DID strike out as far as a LOSS goes at the Ceremony o' the Golden Scale o' Dietary Justice, so we here at Halloween Challenge Hago Hut Headquarters are all a-google-eyed with wonder that we were pretty dang "good" all week and pulled in a fair weekly cal average, though a bit above the target, and YET we STILL haven't lost an ounce.

BE THAT AS IT MAY, we find joy 'n solice in the fact that we have not GAINED an ounce either.

So, restrained joy rules 'n we're a'sharpenin' up our hag-like claws :hippy: 'n bringin' out the big marchin' boots for the GOAL next week of 141. Mayhap that is not what we originally were shootin' for in September but all progress ... and this NO GAIN is progress, since last night we ate and drank more than usual late at night ... be a cause fer celebration.

So no sad songs or condolences, PLEASE, we are somewhat joyful and that's enough for now.

Weight: 142 (borin' number, isn't it?)
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 AM   #8  

Smile Fresh start Monday

My nose is awfully drippy this a.m. Hope it's not a stupid cold.

Hate to do this, first off on a Monday, but I've got to report that after 3 glasses of wine with dinner last night I ate two big pieces of chocolate cake (yes, the one that was in the freezer for DS ) I'm pretty sure that kind of behavior isn't going to get me my weight loss

So, a fresh day, fresh week, fresh start... here I go

Anagram, I'm with you on the search for calorie-free fun! Food's just so readily available and undemanding as a source. There's a to beat!

Amarantha, 142 sounds pretty exciting -- esp. when you look at where you've come from!

Ye are fit & fab!

Welcome audreymonroe and Lindsay!

K, off to be productive (I hope.)

Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 PM   #9  

Well, howdy, lmills730 and Audreymonroe. So nice to have you with us on our quest.

Day four of "pretty good" for me. Yesterday I walked (and walked) around Home Depot in search of some fun things to improve the home castle and left with nothing. Today I walked to one corner and then back and to the other. Gait was good and managed without too much effort. Ready to expand on that esp. since weather was good and almost brisk by the time I headed out. Past sunset and able to enjoy the moon but not yet dark and eerie.

Had good news on the lawsuit today and it was tempting to go on an all out splurge. I don't seem to know any way to celebrate but to eat or drink something. But all told, I think I'm about 1700 calories for the day. Fingers crossed for the upcoming day 5. My choices are not all good but keeping the calorie total more toward where I want it.

So Fresh Start, New Week, New Thread and an ALL OUT EFFORT re all that candy I'm seeing in the stores. I'm pledging to avoid it all. Gulp, did I really say that? Well, avoid it for now, say maybe this week and then I'll recommit as able. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Oh, chewing, yes, food related even here.

I think I'll toddle off to bed to make it the end of my calories for the day.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 AM   #10  

Hello all!

Welcome to our new royal visitors! Please tell us more about yourselves!

Changing times of goals suddenly seems so logical to me. I don't know why I resisted for so, so long.... could it be that I was trying to make it a perfect number.... to make things nice and even...

But its such an intersting perspective when you change things even ever so slightly..... You realize lots of advantages you were missing.... or not.... but the point for me is.... IF ITS NOT WORKING, TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.....

So....

FRESH START PLEASE.....

And yes, Wood Nymph, chocolate cake will sing loud enough to be heard from any freezer. Sometimes I can even hear it from the freezer at the grocery store.... almost 2 miles away.....

Hugs to all....

Thought of the day :

"Who I am really keeps surprising me."
- Nikki Giovanni

Question of the day :

"What is the best way to eat peanut butter?"

Kaylets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #11  
a work in progress...

Ahhh, here we are...I'm loving the new palace, thanks Arabella!

I'm going to post my goals and then I'm off and running again. I have a dr's appt this am (gyn ) and then back down to the folks'. Dad is declining every day. I'll spend the night there tonight, and tomorrow morning my 3 brothers and my sister will be there too. Hopefully to help bring a peaceful end to this long hard journey that he's been on. The other day he spoke of his parents and said "I know they're waiting for me." We're hoping that seeing us all together will bring him the peace that he needs to finally let go and be with them...

So, if I'm not here much, I'm definitely here in spirit.

My goals for this challenge are to stick with WW, guzzle my water and try for some kind of exercise each day. Best I can do right now. Will certainly look for some fun along the way. Some of us have a fun day tentatively planned...am so looking forward to that!!

Wishing much luck to all, and a hearty welcome to lyndsay and audrey!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #12  

Good Morning all! It's Wonderful Wednesday!!

Thought of the day:

"When you say yes to something,
you are saying no to something else."

Question of the day:

"What's the best way to eat an apple?"

LET"S DO THIS!!!
Kaylets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #13  

Cool Sheeesh.

After coming in and starting the thread, gotta say I haven't been doing great. Ate a huge cookie yesterday afternoon, on top of a couple ounces dark chocolate (the latter being allowed for Ultrametabolism, the former definitely ). Don't know if it's feeling pressured or that sneaky "I'm starting WW on Friday so I'll wait until then to get it together" thing.

In whatever case, it doesn't really make me feel very good so I'm still trying to beat that Exercise continues to go well, anyway. And I'm up and at it and have been doing some house-puttering (always helps!).

Having a bit of sibling stress, a situation I should never have gotten involved in in the first place. Maybe this time I'll learn my lesson? Let sibs (and the universe) sort things out for themselves?

Anagram, congratulations on the law suit news! I hope that the whole thing is resolved ASAP!

Kat, I wonder if your dad's parents have visited him? I've often heard of such as someone winds up their business on earth. A friend of mine was nursing a neighbor through her last days and the woman kept calling out for her husband (who'd died a while before), as if she was looking for him. And then, close to the end, she called out his name again, but like "Oh THERE you are!"

We're all with you in spirit, too.

Kaylets: Apple -- in my mom's apple pie, with ice cream. Or -- you know -- cut in slices and eaten like that. PB -- made into a PB/chocolate sauce for ice cream. Or fudge. Or -- you know -- in a zesty sauce for a tasty Thai stir fry.

K, lies -- I should be working and DH will be home for lunch soon. Gotta scoot! Let's take this day and do our level best with it...

Old 09-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #14  

Default Gyn visit

Kat, hope your gyn visit went well. My apologies, but I was reminded of this story and thought I'd post in case anyone hadn't seen it:

The Washcloth
I was due for an appointment with the gynaecologist later in the week. Early one morning, I received a call from the doctor's office to tell me that I had been rescheduled for that morning at 9:30 am.

I had only just packed everyone off to work and school, and it was already around 8:45 am. The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to spare.

As most women do, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene when making such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make the full effort. So, I rushed upstairs, threw off my pyjamas, wet the washcloth that was sitting next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash in that area to make sure I was at least presentable. I threw the washcloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment.

I was in the waiting room for only a few minutes when I was called in, Knowing the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended that I was in Paris or some other place a million miles away.

I was a little surprised when the doctor said, "My, we have made an extra effort this morning, haven't we?"

I didn't respond. After the appointment, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home. The rest of the day was normal. Some shopping, cleaning, and cooking.

After school when my 6 year old daughter was playing, she called out from the bathroom, "Mommy, where's my washcloth?" I told her to get another one from the cupboard.

She replied, "No, I need the one that was here by the sink, it had all
my glitter and sparkles saved inside it."

I'm NEVER going back to that doctor, ever!!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #15  

Oh, dear kat - I'm sorry it is such a difficult time for you and I hope the family visit resulted in some peace for all of you.

Sorry the sib stress has returned, Arabella. It has taken me a long time to to figure out my sibs are not my children and, these days, even my kids have to sort a lot out for themselves.

Apples - well, I was going to say sliced thin but then that apple pie thought came by and grabbed me. I do eat them sliced thin much more often than in pie but I wouldn't turn down a good piece of apple pie. Now peanut butter (my fave) is best in fudge if it's good, non commercial fudge. Failing that, it's good in every way, shape or form (except oddly in Reese's peanut butter cups which I used to love - don't know what they've done to them). I do love it right from the jar in moderation, in celery, on crackers and ala Elvis though I don't batterdip and fry by pb & banana sandwiches and mostly have them on whole wheat.

Umm, all that food talk! I'm on day six of being under 1700 calories and have enough left for a moderate snack soon. My homegrown tomatoes and the homemade redbeets have been a BIG help. My sis called the beets my "comfort food" and she's right about that as long as her MIL has made them.

The lawsuit thing could still drag on forever but at least now we've had a tacit admission of sorts that it was the drug overdose that did my honey in. So, at least for a while, I can think of a few guys who'll be putting a little more concentration in for their patients (at least, I HOPE so).

I spent some time today setting up to take part in neighborhood garage sale. Don't have a lot out though I could DO that if I expended more energy. However, all things out in the garage for sale will not be coming back into the house so I'm figuring it was motivation to at least move SOME things. Plus I don't think I want to do it two days. Or at least not all of the allotted time. Just wanted to go through a bit - may pick out a few more things between now and Friday.

Hoping this heat/humidity leave soon so I can get back to the invigorating weather. Did do some yard work with my friendly kid down the street this a.m. so I think I'll count that as my exercise for the day. Aching enough, anyway.

kat