Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 05:42 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile 21 Day Challenge #3

Quote:
Originally posted by katrinabgood Thanks, Katrina!

I missed my weigh in today...not too upset about that, because I seem to have fallen into the same slump a lot of us around here have found...having said that, I can't believe that I just blithely threw away almost a whole week of good, on program work for a day or two of haphazard eating!

We need a collective kick in the pants to re-energize us and get us back into high gear...Here's what I was thinkin'...

When I belonged to ediets, there was a message board called the "21 day challenge" the idea being that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. You commit to eating within your program, drinking the water and exercising for 21 days. If you slip, you begin again on Day 1. It really was very motivational and really a lot of fun...anyone interested in a challenge? Let me see if I can dig up the rules...

wow! I can't believe I did it without losing my post...must be an omen!

Rules for the 21-Day Challenge

Block 1
1. You must drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water per day.
2. You must eat from your meal plan or stay in your calorie range for every day!
3. If you go over your calorie allotment, (OR cheat!) you must start over.
4. No exercise is required until your second 21-Day Challenge (block#2), but by all means, if you're already exercising please continue!
5. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.
6. Nothing is wrong with having a yummy snack!! Just make sure you plan for it!! It has to be part of your calorie limit for the day!
7. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!
8. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.
9. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

Block 2
Same as block 1 + 20 minutes of exercise 5x/week

Block 3
Same as Block 1
+ increase to 30 minutes of exercise 5x/week
+ toning exercise for at least 15 minutes 3x/week
+ must post inches lost

Block 4
ON YOUR OWN... no rules except for the ones you set for yourself... it's time to turn this plan into your plan... you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal.
Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

What do you think? I'm just trying to shake things up a bit around here...

I'm up for the challenge, ARE YOU?
Old 03-27-2002, 05:50 AM   #2  

Default Day 2

Okay, I made it through Day 1. Feel much better today, even though we've got freezing rain, so i wimped out of the a.m. walk. I'm going to look for a good workout show on TV and do that. Also have to work frantically from now until after Sunday to get my work done for the month. Will i ever stop procrastinating? Next month! It would make me a much happier girl.

Malia, i remember what the PMS cravings were like. Sometimes I wouldn't know what was happening, but then TOM would hit and I would know why the binge had happened. My skinny sisters used to have days like that too, where they said they just ate all day. I think if we admit that there will be days like that and allow for them we might do less damage. Hard to do, though...

Let's make this a great day!

xo
babette
2/212 (-3)/1
Old 03-28-2002, 02:51 AM   #3  

Hi there,

Another rough day of PMS, but by afternoon TOM came. I feel 100x better. I cut my hair which could have been half of the problem. My hairdresser did a good job. Tomorrow is my Friday. It should be very busy, but that can be a good thing. Time flies.

I can't believe a month has gone by and I haven't made much of a dent. Tomorrow is my day 1. I think I gained two pounds the last few days. I've kept up my exercising and water. Eating was a disaster.

Here's tomorrow. Keep strong,
Malia
Old 03-28-2002, 07:58 AM   #4  

Default Day 3

Chugging along. I'm in crappy humour, because I'm backed up with work and have to keep my nose to the grindstone. I hate that! NEXT month I am seriously going to plan my time better and start to live! I waste so much time, and don't even enjoy it. I need a total life makeover, and I'm going to do it!

Made it to the gym today, that's a good thing anyway. And food is going well. I'm hosting a potluck dinner tomorrow, so I have to be careful. It was a dinner party that derailed me last time, and it's so much easier to keep going once you get a few good days in.

Let's get around this block!

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1
Old 03-28-2002, 03:05 PM   #5  
a work in progress...

Well. I hate to do this, BUT...I'm having a hard time posting faithfully on one thread, let alone two! Would you be interested in posting on the"300+..." thread, babette...you can still track the challenge there if you wish. Malia is a poster there too. I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but it's just that I have to limit myself to the one thread from now on...takes me long enough to get one post in, what with how many times I have to RE-DO because I deleted it for some reason or another!

I'd love to see you join us over there, we have a great group af gals, always happy to "see" a new face! See you there, Malia!

Old 03-28-2002, 08:52 PM   #6  

Default Day 3 done...

Kat, I understand completely. I agree, the 300+ thread is great, but i already post to a couple of other threads and it's just WAY too happenin' for me... i could never keep up. So I think I'll keep this thread going anyway, or maybe incorporate it into one of the other threads. I do lurk at the 300+ thread from time to time, but MAN! It MOVES!!! Maybe I'll drop in and say "hi" from time to time.

Day 3 done, and on to Day 4.

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1
Old 03-29-2002, 03:03 AM   #7  

Hi,

Lingering PMS. Started a cold. Gave myself excuse to binge, mistake, it turned out to be an allergy. Three days at home. It'll be tough. I controlled my craving for my mom's portuguese sweet bread. I ate a half a slice. Whew. I didn't consider myself to be OP today. Perhaps being away from the Easter candies at work will do me good.

I post regularly on three threads. Sometimes the other threads get tired of talking about weight loss. I like this thread. It keeps me focused on what I need to do. Begin again and again. In the past two months, last week was the first time I was actually on plan for 5 days in a row.

Keep on plan,
Malia
Old 03-29-2002, 08:27 AM   #8  
Hot Stuff

Mind if I join?

I post at the Alternative Group, but I like the 21-day idea. I seem to start over almost every day lately! I really need something to keep me going, and now that Spring is finally here and I'm feeling a little re-energized....this challenge might be what really gets me going again.

Of course, I picked a chocolate-filled weekend to start, but if I can get through the next few days I can handle three weeks, right?
Old 03-29-2002, 01:30 PM   #9  

Smile Day 4 on the block

Tonight I've got a bunch of people coming over for a potluck dinner, so I will have to be on my toes. Just have to remember my two rules, and follow them, so it shouldn't be too hard -- although the "only eating when I'm hungry" is a bit of a challenge....

Malia, glad you're sticking around! I know there's lots more to talk about than diet stuff, and it's all worthwhile, but I like having a focused thread going. If you want to work on the psychological aspects of this thing, the "what are we really hungry for" thread is great.

Welcome, Wildfire! We'd love to have you on the block. Good luck with the chocolate!

xo
babette
4/ 212 (-3)/ 1
Old 03-29-2002, 04:30 PM   #10  

Hi everyone,

Welcome Wildfire! I agree this will be a tough chocolate weekend. For myself, if I do eat chocolate, it'll be something I really want not super sweet stuff (like a Cadbury egg, throw away the inside). Wish you good luck.

Day1, I'm doing fine. I took my vitamins and are within my portions. Today will be easy because I'm fasting. I'm going to aerobize tomorrow instead of this morning. I need an active metabolism for the ham dinner we'll be having.

Have a great day!
Malia
Old 04-10-2002, 07:08 AM   #11  

Exclamation Day 2

Well, I finally got it together enough to drag this up from the bottom of the heap. I've been doing well some days and not so well others -- I know that the 21 Day Challenge helped me to make more days work for me, so I'm counting again.

I've been going to the gym religiously and getting lots of exercise. My body is showing a difference, but not the weight. I think if I can just start to eat a bit less that will do it Oh, I know -- what a revelation, huh! Last weekend we had people over for dinner twice and then Monday I was feeling crummy and tired. All of which led to me eating more than usual. Got to get this plan going again so that even in those situations I'm still in control. It's not really difficult, once I have my mind set. As long as I only eat when I'm hungry and eat at the table when I'm alone, I'm OP.

Had a real demonstration of why I eat when I'm tired yesterday. After lunch I could barely keep my eyes open, but tried to get some work done. So I'm at the computer (NOT making much progress, I might add, with my brain in a fog), thinking I need a nap. Still I sit here, getting nowhere. Then I think I need to go make some coffee and take a break, but still I sit here. After another few minutes, I started to think what I needed was cookies or something. And the lightbulb came on. It was like I could see the progression: fatigue, my trying to ignore it, and the desire for sweets. I think my body was trying for the best alternative first (a nap) and then going for the next best thing (coffee and a rest) and, finally the least effective, sugar (which, frankly, never does really give me an energy boost, but -- hey! is that any reason to stop trying? )

Anyway. When I saw what had happened I decided to crawl into bed for a nap instead of finding myself some cookies. And I felt better afterwards, and actually managed to get some work done. Things that I'd been struggling to understand began to make some sense.

Ok, I should get on with my day, I guess. Didn't walk this morning, because i still feel tired and crummy, but I'm going to try to get in a walk later.

Let's make this a great day, All.

xo
babette
2/213 (-3) /1
Old 04-10-2002, 07:38 AM   #12  
a work in progress...

Hey babette...

I was glad to see the post from you. I guess you can count me in again. too. I really need some structure and some accountability. I stopped going to WW after I joined Curves, but that weekly weigh in DOES keep me trying. I've had good days and so so days, but I have been exercising regularly, so I have pretty much stayed the same, weight-wise.

So, I am recommitting to the 21 day challenge...here I am at day one, AGAIN! It will be nice to bring in May with a good loss under my belt!

Good luck to us!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:29 PM   #13  

Angry Day 2 down!

Okay, i think i'm getting the hang of this again. I feel like i've got a split personality, though. The chubster with a discipline problem, who doesn't quite understand why she can't pick at leftovers while she cleans up after dinner, and the strict disciplinarian who tells her that she could easily "pick" a few hundred calories and think she hadn't really eaten.

I made it through without any real difficulty today. Wasn't feeling great to begin with but then some caffeine made me feel better. Had my son and grandson over, and had a nice visit. I talked myself into going for a 3 mile walk around the harbour this eve, so my exercise is still good.

Katrina, nice to see you enlisted for another tour! Maybe we can entice some more brave souls... How's the Curves stuff going? I've been maintaining but my clothes are looser, and I keep thinking that if I had a way to measure my "fat content" that I would be seeing progress. Still, I think i'd like to have a weighin to go to -- i think it might make me try harder. I'm going to hunt around to see if I can find a TOPS meeting that is at a time I can stand to go.

Malia, Wildfire, Jen, Chantal, come back to the block! We'll have a block party!

K, guess I'm packing it in ... Just about time for tucking myself into bed with a novel. I should practice some Tai Chi, though. I started back to class Tuesday night, and if I practice every day, I may sometime actually remember all the 108 moves ...

Sweet dreams, Everyone!
xo
babette
2/213 (-3) /1

Last edited by Arabella; 04-10-2002 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:51 AM   #14  

Angry Day 4

Hokay! I got through 3 days. Yesterday was stellar -- 1/2 hour walk to and from the gym, where I did 15 minutes on the cross trainer at my maximum training level and two sets of the circuit training. Then I had an hour Tai Chi class in the evening. Drank my water, ate healthy. Couldn't have been much better -- do you suppose that I might actually lose some weight sometime soon Of course, last weekend was a write off (pecan pie & ice cream, chocolate cake and ice cream...) and Monday was not-so good (Doritos), so I'm lucky not to be up, and I should fully understand why I'm struggling to get a pound off. Perseverence, though, will make it happen, so - um - that's the plan. I'll be very excited to get under 210 again, and that will happen soon if i keep working on it . Friday, so that means a treat-type dinner tonight. Whole wheat veggie pizza, but with 4 kinds of cheese I will fortify my reserve to only have 2 pieces, and I may forego the traditional Friday night wine...

Let's make this a fabulous day, Blockettes!

xo
babette
4/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-12-2002, 07:59 PM   #15  

Angry Day 4 down.

Me again Hmmm... boring here by myself. Oh, well... Friday over -- I had just a sliver more than the 2 slices of pizza. And had a champagne and jaccuzi date w. DH when he got home from work, so I did have a couple of glasses, but nothing too bad. Got in my 3 mile walk and practiced Tai Chi a bit. Ok, I'm putting myself to sleep here. Enough!

xo
babette
4/212 (-3)/1
Closed Thread