Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #1  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

Default UGH!! awful binge day!!

Duno why but i had a complete relapse today.. I think i ate about 800-1000 cals more than usual....how awful is this... how much weight could this make me gain... i filled these cals with a couple of biscits, a sandwich and crackers with CHEESE
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

OK, take a deep breath, ih8diets!

One day over the limit won't make you gain weight, as long as you get back on track the next day. But if you let it become every three days, or every other day... well, that can be a problem.

One day may stall your weight loss, and it may cause the scale to go up due to water balance, but getting back on plan will take care of that.

I can't remember what your daily calorie level is, if you've told us. But make sure you're not trying to go too low on your program--that can make you get too hungry.

Hang in there! No Fear!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #3  

JayEll you finally got a photo

Erm, well my cal level is 1200-1400 and that seems to have worked for me, but very slowly.... i might weigh myself tomorrow and see.. my fear is just going back to being my old self....
Old 09-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #4  

Aw it's OK -- happens to everyone once in while. Just let it be a blip on the radar screen and don't let it turn into another bad day and another and another.

For me cheese and crackers are diet death, absolutely. Something about them! If wine is involved, fuggetaboutit!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #5  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

No offense, hon. But for a man, 1200-1400 calories is REALLY low for weight loss... I would check out your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and go by that. I've been reading Jillian Michaels and she doesn't suggest anyone eating LESS than what their RMR is.

Your RMR (also sometimes listed as BMR--Basal Metabolic Rate) is how many calories your body will burn if you just hang out in your bed all day long and don't do ANYTHING.

Here's a link to a few calculators:
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/calrmr.htm
http://www.shapeup.org/interactive/rmr1.php
http://health.discovery.com/tools/ca...sal/basal.html

It's purely your decision, of course...but when eating calories so far below your BMR, you need to be careful of causing your body to hit starvation mode.

As far as your binge goes--don't worry too much about it. It takes 3500 calories above what your body burns for daily activities to gain a pound of fat--so this one day isn't going to make you gain in the long run, or ruin your efforts.

Hope that helped?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #6  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Drink loads of water, it has helped me tremendously on "bad" days!!!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:45 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's pretty scary when we go back to the old ways, even for a day, isn't it? But one day of overeating didn't get us to be fat. It was many, many, MANY days. Don't worry about your one day. It's over with - history. Tomorrow is a new day. Make it a good one. We have all been in your shoes. And we all (you included) will be in them again. It's just called - life. It happens. The next time you feel like overeating, try and remember just how crummy you felt about it afterwards. Hopefully it will be a deterrent. But really, don't let this one day get to you. You're doing a spectacular job, with the great pics to prove it. Hang tough.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-23-2007 at 12:47 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #8  

Omg 2 things:

My weight has gone down one pound since when i weighed myself yesterday morning

My RMR averages at 1800. Does that mean i have to eat 1800 a day?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey! It means that you burn 1800 cals a day doing nuthin'. So, if you didn't want to lose weight, you could eat 1800 cals. But, you'd probably need more than that, because RMR is "resting," and even light seated activity would give you a higher number.

A difference between cals burned and cals eaten of 500 cals per day would give you a loss of 1 pound per week. So, if you keep your calories close to 1500 a day, you should see a loss of 1 pound a week, maybe more.

Is that scary? Really, 1200 may be not quite enough--that is, you may be feeling too hungry when you don't need to.

Jay
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #10  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Azure- I LOVE Jillian Michaels. So glad someone else reads her too
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hey! It means that you burn 1800 cals a day doing nuthin'. So, if you didn't want to lose weight, you could eat 1800 cals. But, you'd probably need more than that, because RMR is "resting," and even light seated activity would give you a higher number.

A difference between cals burned and cals eaten of 500 cals per day would give you a loss of 1 pound per week. So, if you keep your calories close to 1500 a day, you should see a loss of 1 pound a week, maybe more.

Is that scary? Really, 1200 may be not quite enough--that is, you may be feeling too hungry when you don't need to.

Jay

well the way i do it is, i always count the calories of food and always estimate and do it do the lower value so my actual intake is actually probably closer to 1500 than 1200.. I think that when i weighed myself yesterday, i had waterweight or something becuase its ridiculoius that i lost weight today, by eating LOADS yesterday
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

Just so you know, I have found and I know there are many here who will agree with this, that weight loss or weight gain does not occur immediately. Meaning that when I have a great on plan day it doesn't necessarily show up on the scale the very next day, likewise when I have a "bad" day, I won't necessarily see a gain the following day. It usually takes 2 or days to show up. So chances are the weight that you lost today had nothing to do with yesterday.

But nevertheless - stop worrying about that one day. It really doesn't sound all that bad. And even if it was - so be it. Try taking a look at your entire week. I'm sure your average was not affected greatly, if at all by your little splurge. Relax dude, everything's going to be just fine. You'redoing great.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #13  
I need Motivation

S/C/G: 135/135/95

Height: 5'0

actually it's good to have a bad day sometimes.... i give myself one pig out day per week and don't feel guilty! lol check this out. hehe

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/cal...alculator.htm#

that link has helped me... just check it out and read what it says. hehe
kitkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Glad that works for you, kitkit--but a once a week pig out for me would mean no weight loss. Congratulations on your loss!

The calculator you linked gives a little higher reading for me than FitDay does. Different web calculators vary a lot, I've noticed. But the main thing is to follow a plan and see what happens in your individual case. That's what leads to success!

Jay
Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

I'm with Jay. There is no way on earth that a once a week pig out would result in a weight LOSS for me. No way. Not only that, I find that once I go off track, it's much more difficult to get back ON track. So staying on track works best for me.

But we are all different and therefore we all need to find our own path. There is no one correct across the board way to lose weight.

Great going Kit on your weight loss.