Old 09-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #1  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

Default Exercising

Okay I have seen people say they love to exercise or that they hate to exercise. What about those that love the idea and don't mind doing it at all, but can't get enough motivation to get up and go do it? Surely I am not the only one. If you were like this and have defeated it, how did you do it?

ty
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

I like to exercise once I get there and I'm glad I did it. But I can make up all kinds of excuses not to go to myself. I now plan it along with my food. I wouldn't just wing it with my food and I don't with my exercise anymore.
Plan, plan, plan.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Kati,
I have gone from HATING it to not minding it at all. Some days are harder than others. A couple things that really help me. Like my food, I need to plan in advance what I plan to do about exercise for the next day. What will the weather be? Can I walk outside? Will it fit my schedule? Every night, I plan out the next day. I have been adding several different dvds to my collection (thanks to used items available at Half.com) so that on even the busiest of days I can get up 20 minutes early and slide in yoga or weights. Maybe a 30 minute walk instead of lunch - and then eat at my desk while I am working.
Little changes seem to add up. I treat myself like I raised my kids. "not doing something is not an option" I give myself choices - do I want to do x or y? Inside or outside? Morning or after work?
The other think I do that really helps if I really don't feel like it is to get ready and get started. OK, I REALLY don't want to do aerobics today, but I will do the warm up and 10 minutes at least. I rarely quit once I am doing it. Same with weights - OK, I will lift for at least 10 minutes I tell myself. Once 10 minutes are up, I am usually ready to go for 10 more.
Corny, I know - but it works for me.
HTH
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #4  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

Kati ~ I plan too. Mon, Wed & Fri I always do 1 of 3 different tapes. My motivation? The results I've gotten from doing these tapes. They're older tapes, but they work. The other 4 days I just do cardio. And right now its varying between swimming and yardwork! lol I hope to be jogging again in a week.

The initial surge into exercise sustained me for a couple of months. As my enthusiam diminished, I changed what I was doing, to make exercise fun again. Now I don't want to lose my momentum and slack off. So I plan what I am doing the next day, or week even. And I make myself do it...its just as much of a part of my healthy lifestyle as eating is. I'm not gonna quit eating, so I am not gonna quit exercising. You might have to make youself do it, no easy outs, no excuses...its a scheduled appointment. If you hate what you are doing, you won't want to do it. So find something you enjoy, it will be a little easier to force yourself to do it, then it should become a regular part of your day. Just like brushing your teeth. Hang in there! You can do it!
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #5  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

I still have days where I literally have to force myself, but honestly, once I begin working out, I can go, go, go. And then I wonder why I was procrastinating in the first place, lol. If you can just force yourself to get started, it's easy sailing from there (in my case, anyways).
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:22 PM   #6  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

Exactly. Once I get going I can go and I like and love the way I feel during and after. But it is getting up and doing it. ACK
Old 09-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #7  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Yeah, I don't have a cure for that yet--lol!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #8  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I always have this same issue. Once I get there, I am really glad I went, but its SOOO hard to get there. For these days when I can't seem to motivate myself, I have two 20-min pilates tapes..one is an abs, one is butt/thighs...(they are actually pretty hard!) and i tell myself that if I cannot find the motivation to go to the gym, i can DEF give 20 min for toning.
When I am bored of the gym I also go walking or rollerblading, depending on my mood.
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It doesn't matter whether I'm motivated or not. In the mood for it or not. Even like it or not. NOT doing my exercise is simply NOT an option. I wouldn't dream of opting out of brushing my teeth or doing the dishes. Same thing goes with the exercise.

I've made the commitment to a better, healthier life. Period. That better healthier life can only be achieved IMO, through good eating AND exercise. Eventually, it will just become part of your routine. Second nature. Until it does - fake it. Be Nike - JUST DO IT. You'll be thrilled beyond belief with the results, I promise you.

I do think it's important though to find something that you like. Or at least not despise. I also think it's important to vary it, so one doesn't get too bored.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #10  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

I guess you are right Robin. I just have to DO IT. The hard part is that I have the girls and no way to get 'out' and do something. I can't very well get a good heart rate while walking with the girls. Nor can I afford, atm, going to the Y, plus no sitter for while I am there.

I do know that the the Army is nuts about keeping fit and they have gyms on the bases. They also have childcare, and the prices are based on the soldier pay. So we will be able to afford both. Maybe I can swing it with the treadmill and the yoga tapes until then. I have just come to realize that I am really wanting to do this but I have obviously not dedicated myself to it.

I woldn't dream of not changing the babies diaper, so I can't dream of missing my daily exercise. (I fight to do the dishes as well, can't use that one. Gnarf)
Old 09-23-2007, 01:50 AM   #11  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I look at it like Robin does if you plan for it everyday then it's not a question of if you'll do it or not. that doesn't mean you can't take a break when you feel your body needs it. For me that's usually once a week or so, but i don't plan for it or anything. If you dont have the will I or wont I argument with yourself it makes it easier to ignore motivation. Doesn't mean there aren't days I don't feel like it, but I do it anyway.

For me the positive benefits are just too strong. It improves my depression, it improves my mood it improves my energy level, my heart rate is lower so i feel more relaxed and I sleep better... and I feel a LOT better in general then I did last time I was at this weight and wasn't exercising.

Also important to just get through the first few weeks those are always the most uncomfortable and hardest.

Also helps to keep trying things until you find that which you like or at least don't mind doing.. For me that was DVDs and Turbo Jam and Step.

Good Luck!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:54 AM   #12  
I need Motivation

S/C/G: 135/135/95

Height: 5'0

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati View Post
Okay I have seen people say they love to exercise or that they hate to exercise. What about those that love the idea and don't mind doing it at all, but can't get enough motivation to get up and go do it? Surely I am not the only one. If you were like this and have defeated it, how did you do it?

ty

I actually feel the same way you do MOST OF THE TIMES!!!!

When I am on this kind of mode, I just bust out the Swimsuit I bought and try it on... now i look at the mirror and say, could look better! Then if that only does little motivation, I surf venus.com and look at all the model pics ... and that's the site where i bought my swimsuit lol.

Then if that still doesn't help much, I try on another outfit. Hahha! I hope that sorta gives you some ideas to try out.

._.
kitkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 AM   #13  
I feel fantastic!

S/C/G: 320/ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

My best motivation is the fear of starting to feel horrible like I did before I started exercising. It took me about a month of exercising 6 days a week to be able to feel good again, now I've been at it for almost two months and I feel fantastic.

For the first month, it was tough but as I started feeling better I just didn't ever want to feel like I couldn't walk without gasping for breath ever again. I know if I don't keep exercising that is what will happen to me. Also, start out doing things at home if you find that the thought of going out to do something keeps you from sticking to it. I got started with Leslie Sansone's walking videos, I find her extremely motivating and the workouts are great for beginners to advanced. Anything that keeps your interest up and makes you not dread exercising is great to keep you motivated.

I've never been a go to the gym person, even when I was in shape I found that boring. If I'm not exercising at home I'd much rather go out for a brisk walk than go to a gym, I think maybe I'm afraid the motivation would get sucked out of me having to deal with all the muscle beach types one usually finds there

Anyway those are the things that keep me motivated, good luck and I hope you find something that works for you too

Boosk
Booskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati View Post
I guess you are right Robin. I just have to DO IT. The hard part is that I have the girls and no way to get 'out' and do something. I can't very well get a good heart rate while walking with the girls. Nor can I afford, atm, going to the Y, plus no sitter for while I am there.

I do know that the the Army is nuts about keeping fit and they have gyms on the bases. They also have childcare, and the prices are based on the soldier pay. So we will be able to afford both. Maybe I can swing it with the treadmill and the yoga tapes until then. I have just come to realize that I am really wanting to do this but I have obviously not dedicated myself to it.

I woldn't dream of not changing the babies diaper, so I can't dream of missing my daily exercise. (I fight to do the dishes as well, can't use that one. Gnarf)
It's funny you brought up the diapers. (I'm nuts with the dishes, LOTS of other things as well, but that's another thread altogether ) But you see, that's exactly it. You would do whatever it takes to make sure your baby is well taken care of. Anything. I know it's incredibly hard, but that's just the way we have to look at exercise. YOU my dear, that precious babes mom, are just as important as that very precious baby. And you therefore need to treat yourself with the very same respect and tender care that you would your child. It's for your well being, which in turn affects your childs well being.

How about getting some exercise DVD's? Or even popping on the radio, crank up the music and dance away for 1/2 hour or so. Let the kids participate or watch and wonder what their mom is doing. It sounds to me like you have a treadmill at home? Well that's fantastic. Walking is GREAT exercise. And I would definitely look into the army gym. You just might find that you love the alone time.

I also like to break my exercise down into several portions throughout the day. You don't have to do it all at once. 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 hour in the afternoon or evening. Don't make it so daunting that it's something that you absolutely dread. And trust me on this, please, this is former Miss Sedentary/sit on her butt all day talking here - once it becomes part of your routine, your everyday life, it's not that bad. It really does become automatic.

I only wish that I would have incorporated all these things into my life, the exercise and healthy eating, when my kids were growing up. I wasted soooo many years of not being the mom that I should have been and COULD have been. I am glad that you are dealing with it here and now. Take the plunge, make the commitment. It's something you will absolutely not regret. If you DON'T do it, chances are, you will look back and regret it - greatly. I urge you not to let that happen.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #15  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Kati!

Since we know each other from outside 3FC and chat on a very regular basis- we need to remind each other to exercise!

I struggle with the motivation thing as well and a big part of that is my depression. So it's a catch-22. The exercise helps with the depression, if I can fight the depression and actually exercise. Same with writing, my dear. We just have to do it. So that someday we will be svelte, healthy, gorgeous famous writers! Think how good that book jacket picture will look.

~Onyx
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote