Old 09-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #1  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Default New Scale, New numbers, and a few tears

I finally put the batteries in the new digital scale today and I was shocked to weigh in 4 pounds heavier than the old spinny dial one. Actually, I was devastated. It feels like my last 2 weeks were just wiped out. I realize that my starting weight was probably also off by 4 pounds but STILL I feel so sad about it! I was tempted to just leave the tickers where they are until I catch up with them, but in the interest of honesty and accountability, I am changing them to reflect my weight as measured by the scale that I will be using from here on.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/195.5/130

Height: 5'3" - On a tall day.

I'm sorry about that. If we're being honest here, that is exactly the reason I have not bought a new scale yet. I want to achieve at least two short term goals first so I will feel good (better) about myself and my progress before I purchase a new scale that will most likely add pounds to my ticker.

Kudos to you for taking that leap now.
10Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I am so sorry! It is courageous to bite the bullet and take that leap. BUT - I would urge you to change the starting weights as well. You DID lose the four pounds, and you deserve the credit for it. The reality is that it's not about the number on the scale. It's about the way you look and feel. And that has not changed. The scale is only a good tool to measure your progress - and you should take full credit for the hard work that you've done and the success that you've gotten! Change the starting weight...
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I agree that you should change your starting weight. You were four pounds heavier then, by the new scale. Your loss is the same.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Awww, I know how you feel. I bought a new scale midway through my journey. I had knots in my stomach just anticipating the new scale. Sure enough there was a difference (why is the difference never lower?). It told me a pound more, not so terrible.

I know you know this already. You hard work and the past 2 week were not negated by the new scale. It 's just a different number. You still weigh what you did before the new scale. Now you have a true and accurate number to go by. Good for you for owning up to it. Before you know it, 4 MORE pounds of you will be gone - for real, and this will all be a distant memory. Keep up the good work. You've been doing really, really well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Stupid scales! Want me to come over and kick them for you? Hang in there, Hon. You're doing so well! Try to keep reminding yourself that its nothing but a number on a mechanical device...no big deal.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 09-21-2007 at 08:04 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/250

That happened to me a few weeks ago and I was devastated also, it's a mind thing. I did not adjust my start weight, but hope to make up the extra pounds at some time later. Maybe I should have changed my start weight--don't know. It did set me back somewhat mentally. I hope you can keep up your weight loss and overcome the adjustment.
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #8  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Definitely change your starting weight. You lost those four lbs, no need to rob yourself of that victory!!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #9  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Marseille!!! I have digital scales as well and I wonder if you are using your scale on a carpeted floor? I know when I first bought my scale I read the manual that came with it and it said to use it on a floor without carpet (hardwood, linoleum, etc.). I've done "experiments" myself where I'd weigh on the carpet then without carpet, and there was usually a 3-4 lb difference. Then I'd weigh at the gym, and the non-carpet reading from my digital scale matched the gym's old fashioned scale.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #10  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Scales. Bah, humbug. If I had anyplace to put one, I'd buy an old fashioned scale where you move weights on a bar with numbers on it, like the dr. office scale. I now refer to the morning weigh-in as "scale roulette." I have to see a number three days before I believe it.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Adjust your starting weight. remember you did have a legit loss.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #12  

You never hear a story where someone buys a new scale and it shows a lower number, do you? It seems this is how it always goes. It's discouraging to see a 4 lb increase, yes, but you have still lost the same amount of weight, and your effort has still paid off. Shed your tears, curse the scale, and keep moving forward. You're doing an awesome job!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #13  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Atleast it's just the scale you have to blame it on..You didn't really gain four pounds so be happy!!! I know it is slightly demoralizing..I went through the same thing when I switched from my analogue to digital. But a month from now you won't even remember it
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #14  

I'm sorry hun, those darn scales anyway...
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #15  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

So how do you know what to adjust your starting weight to.....like if you weighed on a different scale and got a new one....how do you kno what your starting weight should be adjusted to? Im not getting it.......doy....
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote