Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #1  
On a De-fluffing Quest

S/C/G: 250/c sig/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone get comments about Atkins being so unhealthy?

I've noticed that so many people think Atkins is so unhealthy now. Which I guess is good for us, because now that the fad is over, meat prices have gone back down.

My parents especially get that worried look if I tell them I'm on Atkins. But then if I tell them what exactly I'm eating, they admit it sounds healthy.

I kind of wonder if perhaps the introduction of all the frankenfoods, and the marketing of Atkins nutritionals etc... has made the Atkins diet unhealthy? Like, it's fooled people into thinking that the Atkins diet consists of eating bars and shakes, kind of like Slim Fast or something?

Somedays, when I don't feel like explaining, I just tell people that my diet consists of fresh healthy meats and vegetables.. with a touch of fruit every few days.
MissyFluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

If I listened to what people have to say about Atkins...I'd have been dead a few years ago! When people make ignorant remarks about Atkins, I simply ask "Have you ever read the book?"....that usually shuts them right up. When they see me eating veggies & salad, they sit there with their mouths wide open shaking their heads because they didn't think those kind of things were allowed on Atkins! They think we sit and eat pounds of meat, bacon & butter all day!!! Of course, when they see I've lost over 100 lbs doing this and have kept it off for over 2½ years now....results speak for themself

Incidentally, my parents & my DBF have always been 100% supportive of me doing Atkins!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-20-2007 at 11:29 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #3  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

That's so true Kim, and Missy!
When my SIL found out my parents were on Atkins, she said, "oh don't do that, it's so unhealthy for you, it can give you heart disease and other complications." I told here that it's not like that, that we eat good foods. Well she's a nurse and said that she has treated people who have been on Atkins, for heart disease. But I bet those people didn't even do Atkins correctly!

I just let them say whatever, and let the proof be in the pudding, or in my case me! LOL!

Atkins Rawks!!!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #4  
I'm not nuts, I'm happy!

S/C/G: 241/220/160

A friend of mine went on Atkins and toldher doctor about it. He told her that he was concerned because it could harm her gall bladder. Course he forgot he had removed her gall bladder a few years earleir. Gnarf
Kati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #5  
On a De-fluffing Quest

Kati... that's a funny thing for a doctor to say. I lost my gall bladder back when I was 16 because of what a no-fat diet did to it. I'm now convinced that fat is good for me (as long as it's not trans-frankenfood type of fat)
Old 09-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #6  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Oh, yeah, I've heard it. Two factors: one, people who need to do something and don't want to, need an excuse for criticizing the people who are doing what they don't want to. Two, I tell people the before & after lipid test results, and that shuts them right up. Instantly. My dr. was thrilled!
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #7  
IP start June 11, 2014

I know this sounds lame, but no one knows that I am on Atkins. I don't want to hear any negative feedback about it. No one can tell by what I am eating that I am on any kind of diet actually. They just think that I have decided to eat healthy foods...I say "they" meaning the people in my office. When we sit down for lunch every naturally checks out other ppls lunch. I always bring my lunch. It varies from spinach salad with some kind of protein in it with full fat dressing to some kind of broccoli dish with chicken or tofu or something like that. I usually get comments like "jeez...you eat the healthiest lunch!" I tell ppl that I am cutting the sugar from my diet since I don't need it. That keeps them from pushing b-day cake on me and saying "just one piece won't kill you." I also tell them that I am kicking my addiction to sugar, so I need to keep anything that gets converted to glucose to a minimum. I know I am being a big wussy about this, but I don't want to be attacked by ppl in my office. I feel like half the time when ppl say that atkins is no good, it is from ppl that tell you that there are no carbs in fruit juice.
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #8  
On a De-fluffing Quest

Man Kelli, I hear ya! I don't tell people in the office either... and they usually comment on how healthy my lunches look (of course, nobody comments on my eggs with bacon and sausage in the am)

I have found that telling people at the office that you're on a diet somehow strangely makes them come by your desk offering cookies or something... office people seem to be the best saboteurs. My boss pushed me into taking a cookie, just to try the new girl scout flavor. I protested, she wouldn't leave, and so then I just took it, and promptly threw it in the garbage the moment she left...
Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

Talking

I didn't tell anyone I was on Atkins til the 2nd week (which im at the end of now) cuz I knew I'd hear it...uugh

I got **** for it...one of my good friends went on a 10 minute RANT about how I will die from being in ketosis and she knows so because her mom said so and her moms a nurse (psychiatry, not medical)

Although...my friend AND her mom are both pretty INSANE so I really didn't pay attention to her haha!

I figure once im 117 and maintaining and healthier than I've ever been they will have the PROOF they need to change their minds!

I'd never tell my parents I'm on it, they'd yell at me for it too - but two of my friends have lost 40 and 70lbs each on Atkins so they're great to talk to, they have great tips for maintenance etc... and they are very supportive and LOVE Atkins. Also, since I've started eating the atkins way so has my boyfriend! He actually went grocery shopping the other day - all atkins stuff

I think atkins will change minds once we show them the tangible proof of our healthy, strong, slim bodies!
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Funny story. The reason I started doing Atkins to begin with was because of my friend Jennifer, who is a nurse in cardiology. She had lost 60 lbs on Atkins.

I feel this way, I used to be 245 UNHEALTHY pounds when I started this way of life....thanks to Dr. Atkins and his awesome eating plan, I've lost over 100 lbs!!! I defy anyone to tell me what is unhealthy about that!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I've definitely heard the "Atkins is unhealthy" speech many, many times. Especially from my sisters (who, BTW, are both currently overweight). However, I have had a myriad of health problems and my team of physicians have told me that low-carb eating is the only way I can lose weight and keep it off. They are right.

Like Kim has mentioned, I'm 100000000000% positive that my body is totally healthier now without all the excess poundage I used to lug around. Losing this weight using the Atkins plan has literally saved my life.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #12  

OH yes it's funny how you get a different opinion of you say Atkins versus Low Carb. I usually say I do low carb to people if I don't wanna hear it. I also agree I'm eating so much more healthy that any other diet I've been on because I don't cheat and I'm satisfied and full it's great.
The biggest thing I hear is that well so and so gained all their weight back after they quit Atkins but you ask why so and it's cause they went back to their old eating habits and it's like duh any diet would do that to you. People think you sit there all day and eat meat and cheese and fat fat fat but man I am in love with the salads i get to eat everyday!
slimdownmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #13  
LC lifestyle

S/C/G: 252/230/150

Height: 5'2"

Checking in before bed and reading the posts for inspiration.. once again, you have motivated me. Smart woman! Thanks!
coolchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #14  
LC lifestyle

S/C/G: 252/230/150

Height: 5'2"

How long have you been on this program and how long did it take you to get to your current weight? I am where you were when you started. Feeling good but just curious.
coolchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Height: 5'6

Yes...everyone has a horror story.

However, when they tell me how unhealthy it is, I explain how being this fat is more unhealthy for me.

No one lectured me for drinking when I was going through my party days. It's amazing how passionate people are about a diet.
StephR is offline   Reply With Quote