Old 09-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Default Bought some Shirataki Noodles

I found a health food store today and a japanese store. So I bought some shirataki noodles, ya know the ones made from Yam flour that has ZERO calories and ZERO fat. I hope they are edible and not gross.

At the health food store, I found that things were quite expensive. But........I found a bunch of stuff I had been seeing on here and online from vegetarin recipes and such. Like bulger, flax seeds, vegan mayonaise, tofutti ice cream, but it was too high in fat to buy. Bummer! I also bought some rice noodles. I found a bag of flour ( I assume it was not enriched) but it was 12 dollars!

Anybody on here use Shirataki noodles?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Almost everyone here that I have seen try them HATES them, but maybe you won't! I think it's important to not try to use them like you would in Italian pasta dishes. Asian noodle soups with loads of spice and veggies are how they were best received in my home.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I tried the shirataki noodles. The package I bought said they had some calories, although it was very low.

I didn't like them--it was like eating strings of rubber. The sauce slips right off of them, too. My stomach was upset the rest of the night.

I hope you have a more positive experience. Some people like them and have no digestive discomfort.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I like Shirataki noodles but you have to rinse them really well... I was using them in various egg and cheese dishes but now that I'm not eating eggs or cheese... not sure what i'll use them for.

I'd definitely try them with an asian style recipe first. Just don't expect them to take like pasta or anything, they have their own unique texture.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #5  
The Witchy Veggie

S/C/G: 297.3/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I use them in my dorm room with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese, some fat free sour cream, and salt and pepper, and its FABULOUS! They're more slippery than regular noodles, true, but the calorie count cinches it for me. Thicker sauces work better, and pat them as dry as you can before heating them up.
gaia2094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I must be the lone ranger, I love them! Rinse them very well, (and just so you know, they smell TERRIBLE before they're rinsed!) I eat them just like spagetti, with sauce and a little bit of cheese. They do have an odd texture, but other than that they're great IMO.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Can you try and describe the texture?
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have had a package in my fridge for 2 weeks - scared to try them!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

The texture does not bother me, it is hard to describe though....they are kind of "rubbery". I just rinse them good, I don't even heat them up, just put sauce on them that is hot and it warms them up. They're very filling too. I eat them every other week.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote