Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Default What to eat before a workout!?!

Hey all!

I am a littel confused. I workout often. Usually 6 times a week (45 min to an hour of aerobics). I really enjoy it but I know I am pushing my body to it's limit. I work all day usually having lunch at anytime between 11am-2pm, then come home and work out at around 8pm. Anywho, I know I should eat something before working out to give myself some energy workout BUT I dont want to wait an additional hour to work out. I ate yogurt one day and it didnt give me much energy.....I did fiberone cereal one day and it kept trying to come up while I was working out! What do you eat before a workout AND how long do you wait to work out after eating Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

I drink a protein shake (mixed with skim milk). It fills my tummy just enough and gives me that extra oomph without making me cramp during a workout. WalMart has an inexpensive protein powder in vanilla and chocolate flavors.
Hope this helps!
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I workout in the morning, around 8 am, and when I wake up at 5:30, I usually drink 5 oz of grapefruit juice,or some water, I don't have an appetite so early in the morning, but I don't feel well if I eat at 7 am, and exercise at 8, so I eat breakfast at 9 am, when I am finished.
Have you tried some protien bars? Like Cliff? Maybe they can help.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 246/205/137

Height: 5' 6"

I used to have a problem when I pushed myself too hard, and I'd smell ammonia, and I looked it up and it sounded like I was burning through all the carbohydrates and my body would start burning through protein. So I would usually eat a small handful (like ten) peanuts and some Gatorade or Powarade until I figured out how much I could push my limit. I would drink a kiddie sized sports drink, though. Those things are loaded with calories.

Now I've more more less figured out what I should be doing so I don't have the ammonia issue any more, and I work out in the mornings before breakfast, so I don't eat anything other than a multivitamin (which doesn't really count as eating) before working out. But if you think you are pushing yourself too hard, I'd recommend the peanuts.
Fooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I'm a big believer in eating something before working out, as I've read that, as Fooled suggested, it causes muscle deterioration if you don't have any fuel for the workout. But I also have eaten too close to working out, so I have had the issue of the food threatening to come up when I work out. Not pleasant, and not conducive to a good work-out. I am so with you on the not wanting to wait an extra hour issue, though, especially if you're not getting home until around 8:00. Can you take something with you to eat about an hour before you get home? I don't know where you work, but if it's an office, I think a protein bar (the Pria bars only have 110 calories, and I think they're really tasty) or a piece of fruit would be mobile enough that you could do that. I have actually eaten each of these within a half an hour of working out, and found them to be good.

Good luck. It sounds like a bit of a dilemma.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #6  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

Here is an awesome article I found on the ammonia issue. I had experienced this myself and thought it deserved a search. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...?articleid=326
I eat dinner before my workout and I always have some kind of carbohydrate. But sometimes I still end up all shaky after a workout and need to eat something small again. I do usually opt for yogurt or a bowl of cherrios{1c}. From the time I eat to the time I exercise is probably and hour or so. I would do as other posters suggested, take something with you for the ride home.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

On Mondays and Wednesdays I do 45 mins of water aeobics starting at 6:00 pm - around 5:00 pm I have a slice of toast with 1 TBSP of peanut butter. Seems to do the trick.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #8  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

I work out in the morning and have a small bowl of cereal or a yogurt with a couple of tablespoons of chopped walnuts mixed in. Both keep me going through my workout.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #9  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

An apple works for me!!! Anything with GOOD carbs will do the trick!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

I would definitely try to eat something earlier. I could never go from 11 or 2 until 8 or 9 without eating. I try to eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
My suggestion would be to eat some protein. You don't want to be working out and burning your lean muscle. I would think that is counterproductive.
Hope you find something that works for you.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Thanks to all who replied. I know I need to eat more often. I dont eat a snack between lunch and evening.... Looks like you all agree, I need protein So, I will try the protein bars! I think they will be a simple solution to my problem. I have got to fit in more meals....I got a Volumetrics cook book...I want to stretch my calories and eat more throughout the day to amp up my metabolism. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that I am not doing myself a service by not eating because I am hurting my muscles. I hadn't EVEN thought about that. Thanks guys!! I really appreciate it!!!!!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote