Old 09-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default Getting Real

I had a conversation with someone today that made me look inward and want to know how much effort I have to put into weight loss this year. The general answer "not much" can be easily answered by looking at my ticker. But I like numbers.

I count calories, so I can easily tell what days I counted and what days I haven't by my food log which is also my calendar. There are 3 categories.

Days I didn't even try (page is empty)
Days I started out trying, but got lost along the way (at least something was entered that day)
Days I counted (there is a total)

Here is the breakdown so far this year...
13% of the time I counted
12% of the time I started out counting
and 74% of the time I didn't even try at all.

I have faced myself and I am shocked. Literally shocked. 74% of the time I didn't even start out trying. Wow. What a slap of reality.

I am glad I didn't figure this out when I wasn't trying (which is most of the time!). Having a good week behind me makes me better able to handle and process the truth.

Just had to share!

Last edited by Sandi; 09-18-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

So the blinders are off! Yep, that ol' reality really knows how to slug us upside the head, doesn't it?

I really really hate getting hit with a clue by four!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Wow, Sandi. It's so interesting you bring this up. I've been considering the same thing lately. I'm a worrier. I am apt to worry about something 90% of the time, but only take action 10% of the time. The net result is it FEELS like it's at the forefront of my mind 100% of the time and like I'm fully focused on it, but the results don't lie - there is little to show for all the mental energy I've expended that went nowhere.

Imagine if we reversed our numbers? Spent 10% thinking about it and 90% doing it? Or in your case really worked at weight loss 74% or more of the time? Watch out! We'd be unstoppable!!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Sandi, it is so refreshing to know others are so honest with themselves. Reality is healthy, yes? Now that you are aware, you can be empowered to make changes!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #5  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

WOW! This motivated me to backtrack through my FitDay food journal and while I've always said that journaling my food was one of the most important tools I could take advantage of I was still shocked. Since October of last year I logged in my food every single day except two....until July 28th!! And since that time I've only started and/or completed my food log 7 times. I really believe that if I had continued logging in my food no matter how badly my day had gone food-wise I could have stopped the train wreck that occurred in August (and part of September!).
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Sandi -- Wow, that sounds like it was a wake up call! I love playing around with numbers and that would really get my attention!! I hope you can use the info as further motivation to stay on plan!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

It's kind of shocking how stark it is when you see it in black and white. But hey, you can't change it but at least you can look forward to what the numbers can be a year from now.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi Sandi! I am glad to see that you had a loss this week! THat is so awesome--keep it going girl! You've always been an inspiration to me.

You know what I find? When I write things down and get more involved in the planning of the plan, things seem to work out better. I believe its because rather than going through the motions of it, you become more engaged. When I am focused and engaged, nothing can stop me. I think that by writing everything down the way you did, it gives you a very true analaysis of what really going on with you vs. the perception. I know you can do it Sandi and I think you really are taking all the right steps to get there. I'm here for you girl!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tolose85; 09-19-2007 at 06:47 PM.
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #9  
Aleecia

Isn't it crazy how that works.
I have also found that when I keep track of what I'm doing it makes me realize how off track I was to start with.
Thanks for sharing, you have defintly put it into prespective.
Best of luck to you.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Sandi, I admire your well thought out post. Good for you!
I understand the not-really-trying stuff, too! So, I'm just adding my support to you!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I am so there with you, sister. I wish we lived closer so we could go for walks. I haven't done antyhing quite like the numbers in black & white but I am pretty sure it would be horrifying.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #12  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I know what you mean about this. I know I think about losing weight a lot but I only give it serious effort every once in awhile. I would say it's been a really long time since I put in more than 1 or 2 days in a row of serious effort. I'll come across a food journal that I started 2 weeks ago and throw it out because I only did one days worth or mostly like just breakfast! I wish I put as much effort into losing weight as I did thinking about it.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/284/180

Height: 5'9"

I am the same way! But, I am lazy about counting, I would rather just guess how many calories are in something, ya know?
puboochu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

I am starting today to count calories. I have always gone the low carb route, and had good results (somewhat). I need the reality of writing down the amount of calories that I am eating. What are some of your tips for counting calories?
AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #15  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

The best suggestion is to get a FitDay account so you can track everything. For more hints, there's a Calorie Counters forum on 3FC.

Good luck!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote