Old 09-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Roasted Eggplant Stuffed with Beef

A friend gave me this recipe, but it is from one of the SB cookbooks, I can't remember which, but it's the one with the orange cover.

2 eggplants
2 T olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb extra-lean ground beef
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pierce eggplants in 2 or 3 places and place on a baking sheet. Roast, turning once or twice, for 20 minutes, or just until tender. cool, halve lengthwise, and then scoop out pulp, leaving about a 1/2-inch shell. Chop pulp and let drain in colander.
Heat 1 T oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and beef and cook, breaking up beef, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in eggplant, oregano, and tomato sauce. Reduce to low heat and cook for 15 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese, salt, and pepper.
Place eggplant shells on a baking sheet and fill with beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and drizzle with remaining 1 T olive oil. Roast for 15 minutes until lightly browned.

4 servings
Nutrition/serving:
342 calories
17 g fat
6 g saturated fat
31 g protein
21 g carbohydrate
7 g dietary fiber
71 mg cholesterol
677 mg sodium
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote