General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #1  

Default Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!!

I don't watch that Celeb Fitness show so just catching up about Maureen McCormack's weight loss -- she looks SO great! Inspiring to see a somebody my age, (well, KINDA my age....technically I'm Jan's contemporary!) slay a mid-life weight crisis.

But ay yi yi that diet of hers sounds pretty grim just IMO! Check it out:

http://ifitandhealthy.com/maureen-mc...loss-and-diet/

OK so she has oatmeal for breakfast and then brown rice and garbanzo beans....and then MORE brown rice and garbanzo beans for dinner?

OK so she's 50, she still has TEETH, right? Wassup with the gruel-o-rama meal plan. It's so, well.....MUSHY!

However....she is looking much LESS mushy than me, so I should just ST you know what up, LOL!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:54 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Well, she eats more variety that that! Brown rice and garbanzo beans aren't mushy if prepared right and if they are spiced nicely (think Indian) they are delicious and nutritious!

She says:

"Food-wise, I’m pretty much a vegetarian. Breakfast is usually oatmeal, yogurt or a piece of fruit. Lunch is brown rice with garbanzo beans, a salad or a veggie burger.

And dinner is usually a salad, chicken salad, or more brown rice and garbanzo beans. I’m pretty simple the way I eat. I watch portion size, portion is a big thing."

Rant:

Oh man. I read what she said and it irritated me!

She said she's pretty much a vegetarian, then lists that she will usually eat chicken salad?

I am so sick of people mislabeling themselves as vegetarians! It's a peeve of mine, as it results in people thinking that I will eat fish, chicken and all sorts of other animals, and offering it to me. they are so puzzled because "All the other vegetarians I know eat (insert non-vegetarian item here).

End of rant!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 AM   #3  

LOL!! Like in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," "He doesn't eat meat???? OK, I'll make lamb..."

I guess she means for the most part she eats vegetarian meals and splurges with the chicken/fish occasionally?? That's kind of like me....a lot of people assume I'm a vegetarian because that's what they see me eating/cooking most of the time, but I like me a big ole steak once in a while! Or carne asada.....or STINKY CHEESE!!! No vegetarian equivalent to a nice blue cheese....I adore it!

With half my family vegetarian (my dad is the strictest kind of vegan - no honey, no leather shoes!) we've evolved into kind of weekday vegetarians -- it's just easier (and cheaper!) that way, I cook veggie stuff during the week and then on the weekends my hub has his beloved bbq, with vegetarian side dishes for everybody else.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 AM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Well, like your father, I am vegan too! That means no animal products, ever!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Her diet sounds terrific to me. She did say that she eats chocolate after all.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #6  

I'm on the Sonoma diet, you can have chocolate on it!! And wine! I really am enjoying it.....

As for oatmeal, I DO love it but unfortunately, I love it with butter, milk, pecans and melted chocolate chips. It's fat oatmeal the way I do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pita420 View Post
Her diet sounds terrific to me. She did say that she eats chocolate after all.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My DH likes to call us halftarians Basically, we prefer to eat less meat than the average american diet and my current goal is to eat no meat and very limited dairy. DH is just along for the ride and he likes to eat healthy so he doesn't mind.

It seems that sometimes people think if you don't eat red meat then you are a vegetarian? Or if you eat meat rarely? I wouldn't even call myself a vegetarian but I'd say that I would like to eat a vegan diet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #8  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I consider myself to be a Catho-vegetarian. (Like it? I made it up.)
It excludes all the stuff the Catholic church used to say you couldn't have on Fridays. No meat but dairy and fish are ok. Not that I'm Catholic anymore, I just thought it was a cute way to say it.
Oh - Maureen; yeah, she's my age and looks great. Good for her.
jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #9  
hara hachi bu

My mom once described our family as "80% vegetarian", which I thought was an accurate way of stating it. We ate meat a few times a week, but it wasn't a daily thing at all.

I've heard "flexitarian" as a new buzzword about being partially vegetarian.

I often order vegetarian entrees when I go out, and people *always* ask if I'm a vegetarian. Um no? I just don't want to eat that much meat all the time. People in America don't seem to get that concept - you're either a steak lover or a vegetarian, no middle ground.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #10  

I always order the veg option at weddings or on a plane....only cuz I'm super picky about meat and fish (I won't eat farmed fish!) but the veg thing, whatever it is I'll deal with it. For the most part if they have a veg choice in a big pre-fab food situation, it's always better and people comment they wish they had it.

Luckily haven't gotten any killer bags o'salad yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica View Post
My mom once described our family as "80% vegetarian", which I thought was an accurate way of stating it. We ate meat a few times a week, but it wasn't a daily thing at all.

I've heard "flexitarian" as a new buzzword about being partially vegetarian.

I often order vegetarian entrees when I go out, and people *always* ask if I'm a vegetarian. Um no? I just don't want to eat that much meat all the time. People in America don't seem to get that concept - you're either a steak lover or a vegetarian, no middle ground.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #11  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Maureen was on Celebrity Fit Club, where they use the Fat Smash Diet (and alot of the things she lists are on that diet).
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My step-daughter always says she "doesn't eat meat"....unless of course it's flank steak, In N Out Burgers, mexican food, MCD's chicken tenders, my bow tie pasta casserole with ham in it, Easter spiral ham, hot dogs, lasagna, chili .........

I'm kinda gettin' thinkin' she doesn't know what meat is....hummm...maybe her second year of college will solve that dilema.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #13  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Gary-
Ha Ha!! Now that is funny! Well, ya know sometimes people will make the occasional exception!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I'm not a vegetarian at all but the whole "I don't eat meat" thing bugs me when the person eats chicken all the time. Chicken IS meat. It's not RED meat but it IS meat nonetheless.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hahaha, I'm not a vegetarian, and sometimes I really don't eat much meat, but I wouldn't call myself a vegetarian unless I was one. I have several vegetarian and vegan friends; the vegetarians will not eat any kind of meat, and the vegans, like SoulBliss, won't eat any meat products at all.

As for Maureen McCormick, she followed some form of "The Fat Smash Diet" by Dr. Ian Smith. I was soooo inspired by Celebrity Fit Club that I bought the book, which sadly proved to be highly disappointing for me (it often lacked clear directions) and the diet seemed near impossible... AND boring! Calorie counting is more fun... I can eat whatever I want... just in smaller portions - BOOYAH!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote