Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of September 17 - 23

Good morning! I got home late last night from a weekend with friends in North Carolina, so am way behind on posts. My eyes are still pasted shut but I promise I'll go back and catch up later today.

We had a fabulous time and I tasted the best chocolate I've ever had in my life. Worth every fattening calorie! But it will be back to the gym and oatmeal and egg whites today.

So happy new week and how is everyone doing?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning maintainers!!

Meg, sounds like you had a much deserved, fun-filled weekend. So just what kind of chocolate was it that was so good?

It's feeling quite fall like around here this morning. Since I have absolutely ZERO fall/winter clothing from last year, I'm thinking a little shopping is in order this morning as I go about my Monday morning errands.

I'm happy to say that I am down 2lbs as of this morning. So, I guess I've hit my not so secret goal of 125. Hmmm... you know what that means? I need to set me a new secret goal.

Have a great day everyone.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

My eyes were a bit pasty this morning too, but I think I'm down to just a hair over goal. Vacation and period bloat all mixed together apparently.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Good morning/afternoon everyone.

Since I fell off the other thread (I always do, I seem to be unable to follow those things for long... ), I want to thank those who wished my grandma a safe recovery. So far, she's back home and well, only with a ton of medication and eye-drops to take, which she hates, but there's no choice. She still needs surgery on the other eye, but this wont happen before 2-3 months at least, so probably not before next year.

As for the eating, I've been battling a urge to seriously binge since last Friday, but I'm holding good. I want that cute little skirt I've mentioned in the clothes thread, dangit! And I suppose (hope!) the craving will sooner or later pass. The combination of college-related stress + quitting coffee cold-turkey + running everywhere probably factors a lot in that, too.

But enough about that crap, how is everyone in this... uh... very rainy Monday here?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, we made it to the funeral Saturday morning for DH's cousin. It was the longest funeral I've ever been to in my life. The dearly departed son's was the minister that preached the funeral for 3.5 hrs. and then there was a long slide show. It was very sad, even though I didn't know the man, I did know his daughter fairly well and some of the hospice nurses. It was horrible that the wife of 57 years passed out and fell as she walked up to the casket. She had to be taken to the ER for several stitches in her face.

We overslept Saturday morning and were in a rush. We didn't eat anything at all before leaving. By the time we got out of the funeral and graveside service, I was starving. DH and I decided to eat at the only cafe in the little town. I ordered a hamburger steak with salad and veggie. Turns out the steak was loaded with gravy, there was no diet salad dressing and the veggie was fried okra. I did have them leave off the mashed potatoes and bread. DH had a Cheeseburger and fries and probably had less calories than I did. But, I tried.

Next we went to my MIL's and visited for the rest of the day. We mowed and weedeated her yard for her. She cooked dinner for everyone. She made a brisket, baked beans, fried potatoes and home-made dinner rolls. I managed to pass on the potatoes but I did eat the meat, beans and 1 piece of bread. So, my Sat. food definitely wasn't SB friendly or calorie friendly either one. I did refuse the home-made fudge she had made. By Sat. night, I actually felt sick at my stomach after eating so many carbs that day after having 8 days of very low carb eating.

I spent Sunday in carb-craving withdrawals. Felt really cranky all day long, but did manage to get my eating back to what it was supposed to be for SB induction. I had my 2 grandson's all day Sunday. I don't know why I still let the fact that their mom is a lousy mom upset me. She brought the boys over yesterday morning and dropped them off so she could go see her boyfriend. Since she only sees them every other weekend, this really made me mad. DH just said to look at it as "at least we get to see them often". I just love the boys and think they are getting a raw deal.

My son had drill this past weekend and finally found out what his future plans are to be. His Reserve Unit is being placed on Active Duty beginning November 1st. He will be stationed at the base in Princeton ,KY for 3 months, then in Kuwait for 2 months, then in downtown Baghdad for one year. I do not know yet if when he is in KY, if he will get any leave time before being sent overseas. Since DH is only working every other week at his new job, we are planning to drive to KY and see Shane there before he is deployed overseas.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning everyone,

I had a good weekend, though rather quiet. We spent some time w/ BF's friends. They were celebrating their event with a few drinks, but I didn't feel like drinking, so I didn't. We went fishing Saturday afternoon and my "treat" for the weekend was when we took the fish to a restaurant and had them prepare it for us, and they fried it, and I had a few french fries with my fish and garden salad. I felt tired Saturday morning and stopped my run sooner than I wanted to, but felt so disheartened at stopping that I ran/walked at intervals until I had run as much as I had planned. Overall a good weekend and I stayed OP. I also have been eating more healthy fats (aside from the fried fish and french fries in peanut oil ) and I think it's helping to rev up my metabolism. My "fat pants" (not really my fat fat pants, just my a-few-pounds-before-I-reached-goal pants) are lose.

Lily, good job getting back onto your eating plan Sunday. Sometimes we can just do the best we can when we are in certain food situations. I'm still laughing about your DD giving up soda for the slurpee.

Kery, keep those cravings at bay. Quitting coffee cold turkey - yikes! I tried a few times and just can't do it - I need my 2 cups in the morning. It's the biggest addiction I allow myself. Good luck! (Internally I'm asking "is that really necessary?" but I really do wish you luck!)

Robin, yup, sounds like you need to go shopping. Have fun!

Meg, glad you had such a fun weekend.

Gary, I'm still thinking of the injured football player you posted on last weekend. How sad. How is he doing?

Hi Susan, everyone else. How were your weekends?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Megan: yes, it was necessary. I was consuming about 1,5 liter of coffee a day, sometimes 2, and all of this had built up gradually, without me noticing it. I had already tried to lower it down by using smaller cups, but I had noticed that I just kept on drinking twice more, which amounted to the same in the end. So I decided to try the other way, and cut down completely to see how I fared. (Granted, it may not have been 'the right moment', but then when would that be, given my involvement with school and work...)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:15 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all! It's a gorgeous, but quite cool, day here. We had our first frost last night and there's fresh you-know-what on the mountain tops. I'm so not ready.

I had a disasterous eating day yesterday. We had a 50th anniversary brunch, and while I knew the NI for what I brought, there were other lovely goodies. Fortunately there was a lovely fruit arrangement - I almost hated to pull it apart, but the fruit was wonderful. I won't go into the rest, but it was good. Afterwards we went into Anchorage (the party was about 1/2 between here and there) to buy new summer tires for my car (on sale). DH had to have a latte and something sweet - both of which I managed to forego. But then I had a dinner with a pastoral candidate for our church, and wouldn't you know they chose a Mexican restaurant. Can you say very few good choices? At least I wasn't starving, and ate the shedded chicken insides and the lettuce/tomatoes out of a toastada. Back on the wagon today!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Morning all! It's a gorgeous, but quite cool, day here. We had our first frost last night and there's fresh you-know-what on the mountain tops. I'm so not ready.
I mentioned to DH about your snow-topped mountains and we both agree that we've had enough snow and we love it here! The high this week will not go into the triple digits! When I went out to get the paper this morning, there was a chill in the air (it was probably mid 60's). I may have to buy some more substantial running gear--I don't think my tank tops and shorts will keep me warm for long!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Boy I needed a new thread. Last week needs to be forgotten

Yesterday despite some (very)bingy moments I tracked everything in fitday for the first time in ages....wow have I slid. I have gotten used to eating WAY more than I used to. A little of this, a little of that, a lot of the other. Rang in the day at a whopping 3000 calories. Some of it was probably left over hunger from the day before but still

Back on track today and not liking it.

OK off to get screaming child who has not napped at all today and try one more time to get him to go...to...sleep. So that I can sleep before my yoga class.

wait

silence

Sudden silence

is he sleeping or merely listening intently before he winds up another good holler?

oooh...he may have passed out. god he was tired. his poor little red eyebrows were pathetic.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #11  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HI MAINTAINERS ~

Well I am still maintaining! I weighed in at 180 on friday, made my second goal, and have been there ever since. I haven't done anything different...like celebrate with a bad choice In fact I haven't had a beer since thursday night. I wanted to stay at my goal for at least a few days. I might break down tonight...might...I am cooking steaks, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts (for me and knucklehead nephew) green beans for Angie, and salad.

Spent most of the week-end walking the dogs, church and watching football, while doing chores around the house.

I don't have any news yet, today, on the young man that was hurt. My son will probably call, when he gets home from work, with an up-date if there is one. I know the family thanks you for your prayers.

ENNAY ~Isn't it amazing how long they can cry! I hope you get your yoga in.

ALLISON ~Isn't that funny how mid-60's can feel so cold in the desert...well, that is a drop of about 50 degrees! Desert mornings are the best!

PAT ~Yep I am beginning to see that, now that I am making "better choices" as far as eating at mexican restaurants. Angie and I have 5 that we eat at within 10 miles of our house...love it! I have had the same pastor for 25 years! He has been at our church for 38, a pastor for 40....we love him! Good luck with your candidates.

KERY ~I drink a lot of coffee in a day. I used to drink two 12 cup pots between the morning and at work, then a pot after I got home. Not so much any more, less than a pot in the summer, maybe two pots in the winter. I found that I had to add decaf and wean myself off of it when I tried before to limit my caffeine. Actually now most pots I make are 1/2 and 1/2. Good luck.

MEGAN ~Way to stick it out through your run! I love fish and chips...not good for you but O so good! Way to back it with that salad

LILY ~That is horrible, for you Dh's cousin's wife, how sad. I know in my family it would be one of those "laugh later" moments we would always share! But again, how sad. That sure was a long one too. We have them short and sweet around here. We do a lot of cremation here, in fact, the last caket funeral I went to was in 1966, my grandpa's...so cool seeing him lying there in his Sunday best, when you are 12... Pretty much here, the cremation and a memorial. Hope the BL challenge is going your way...maybe not, sounds like the kiddos need to win more. PROUD OF YOUR SON!

SUSAN ~ It doesn't sound like that shopping did too much damage to your waistline! Find any good BeeGee stuff

ROBIN ~You are amazing! Such a loooser!! Glad you weather is cool for you.

MEG ~I am glad your week-end was fun. I hope your work-out went just as smooth!

Well MAINTAINERS I am off to throw the steaks on the BBQ...later, Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone,

I've put a picture of me in my avatar so you can get to know me better. You may actually see this picture (or one like it) in the January issue of Woman's Day. I'm a writer for the mag and have written a story on weight loss. My DH took it this last weekend. You should also see one of Glory (hi Glory!) as she is in the story too.

Getting my picture taken and then looking at how the shots turned out has really been an eye opener for me. I realize that when I am sitting at my computer or driving my car or doing my daily to-dos, I see myself as I was before, that I haven't reconcilled the new "me" in my own mind. I think that's part of why maintaining hasn't always been easy, I think of myself as still pretty heavy and so I lose my willpower to keep my eating OP.

Lily, sorry about your DH's cousin and the long funeral. That's horrible about the man's wife hitting her head and needing stitches. Good luck getting back on track after the weekend. I know what you mean about carb cravings. I haven't done DB or Atkins, but I get those cravings after not eating OP for even one meal. Grrr...

I went to Bronco game and ate a huge amount of peanuts. Actually, that's pretty much all I ate on Sunday, nuts, nuts, and more nuts. Oh, and then when I got home my DH put in a frozen pizza and I had 1/6 of that, plus a Healthy Choice fudge bar (those are so good!). Today (Monday) was going to be better but then it wasn't great either. Tomorrow is another day...

It's rainy here and I'm loving the cooler weather. It makes getting to the gym much easier. My legs are absolutely killing me today. I did lots of leg exercises on Saturday and I'm finding that the second day is often worse than the first after weight training. Does anyone else have that problem, or perhaps that's for another thread...

Anyway, hello to everyone!

Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Gee PAM I wish you would have given Shanahan some of those peanuts to "choke' on before he threw that flag on my RAIDERS!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

My son called a little while ago ~ no new news on the boy. My son said the school had a lot of help for the students today in helping them to cope.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Gary, Why, oh, why would I have done such a thing? The game turned out perfectly. You probably didn't enjoy it as much as I did, though, no? Boy, the Broncos sure are close to being 0-2, instead of 2-0. Sorry about your Raiders. They were beaten by my second fav team last week!

Big congrats on your weight loss, and your son's friend is in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine what his poor family must be going through right now. So tragic...

Pam

Last edited by MileHighMama; 09-17-2007 at 11:25 PM.
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote